XM607 BB1 Vulcan 1/200 (from Cyberhobby kit)

JMChladek

Okay, I've managed to acquire a Cyberhobby 1/200 Vulcan with the Falklands 30th anniversary packaging and will be building it as XM607 from Black Buck 1. That means it will essentially be in the clean configuration except for the ALQ pod on one of the pylons (no Shrikes).

I have an old issue of SAM, Aeroguide 6 and a nearby Vulcan to guide me on some of the bits (Vulcan on display at the SAC museum near Ashland, NE). That should keep the accuracy gremlins to a minimum, although this is a relatively small kit compared to the Airfix and larger offerings.

Okay, how about some pictures of the kit in question?

First we have a rather nice box art (Did XH558 go to Ascention?):

DMLbox1.jpg

And here we have the kit contents:

DMLparts1.jpg

Instructions show the parts that aren't used, which include the Blue Steel, the bomb bay doors with the recess and the tail without the ECM bar on it. These are bits found in the previous issue of the kit, but I believe the Black Buck bits are unique to this offering. So this version has more plastic in it.

DMLinstrctions1.jpg

Parts quality is amazing. The kit has some rather petite recessed panel lines all throughout it and thanks to Dragon's slide mold system, the exhausts are molded into the upper fuselage in ONE PIECE! In years past, all those cans would have to be glued in one at a time. There are a bunch of tiny parts in this kit, including pilot figures (have fun painting these in 1/200). Of course once the canopy is glued on, forget seeing them in the cockpit (but at least they are there). The crew door and ladder is also included (can be installed open or shut).

dmlpilots1.jpg

The decals are Cartograf printed and nicely in register. Jennings seems to think that the fonts used for the airframe numbers is the wrong font. I think he is right, but I am going to use these as is since they are pretty small numbers to see in 1/200. Even if it did not, you can build the big burley display bird as she appears today. It does indeed look like I've got plenty of stuff that I can use at least.

DMLdcls1.jpg

Kudos to Dragon for giving us a state of the art Vulcan kit. It looks like I can build this one rather quickly (we shall see). And thanks to its small size, one can do a nice fleet of planes in a display space that could only accomodate one Airfix kit. I also see some aftermarket potential for the kit as well. An open bomb bay would be an easy resin inclusion (along with Blue Danube and Yellow Sun weapons). A Vulcan K2 conversion with the hose unit would also be neat, although to me, that spoils the classic lines of the jet. The previous version of the kit includes paint options for Vulcans in Anti-flash white and late 1960s to 1970s medium gray with the red, white and blue roundels (I was pondering doing a Vulcan from Thunderball with that kit).

Edited by JMChladek

Well, no pictures as of yet, but I have gotten some work done on the little Vulcan. Right now I've been slogging away at the intakes, trying to blend them in with the upper fuselage/wing section. The layout of this kit in several areas reminds me a lot of the Airfix kit (the cockpit for instance), but given its small size, it does cause some minor issues in dealing with stuff in tight spots (such as the intakes). I've got several of the interior bits pre-colored, so once I get the intakes done I can close her up and move on quickly with the rest of the stuff. The next bit that will likely be time consuming will be building the landing gear as I think the number of wheels likely outnumbers the rest of the pieces on the airframe! ;)

Having built the earlier anti-flash variant earlier this year I will be interested to see how this turns out. Overall it's a nice kit but does have those weird CH inaccuracies!

Things to watch out for:

* Four nose wheels!

* The bomb-doors insert was a little loose and sat to below the surface, best to dry fit and add this before joining the fuselage halves.

* I think to nose is too flat and benefits from a little putty on top.

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=2692

Thanks for posting the link to your build James. I also picked up on those jammer pod plates between the engines (I did find a grand total of one photo showing a Blue Steel equipped Vulcan with two of those plates between both sets of engines), which means I'll need to fill a couple holes and reprofile an area a little. My bomb bay insert didn't seem to fit as poorly as yours, but I was using the standard bay doors as opposed to the Blue Steel ones (did the original kit even come with that as an option?). I'll have to think about whether or not I want to reprofile the top of the nose with Milliput, although I can see exactly what you are talking about.

As for the extra nose wheels, considering I spent about an hour and a half after dropping the instrument panel on the floor looking for it (which I did find, not that it will matter much once the canopy is installed), I'll take any extra bits I can get. ;)

Thanks again!

My bomb bay insert didn't seem to fit as poorly as yours, but I was using the standard bay doors as opposed to the Blue Steel ones (did the original kit even come with that as an option?).

IIRC no just the Blue Steel. There were a couple of what may have been launch rails and pylons on the sprue but unfortunately not the missiles. Glad you found the link useful.

• 1 month later...