Humbrol Decal Fix

Paul A H

Humbrol Decal Fix

decalfix.jpg

Nothing is more annoying that applying decals to a beautifully painted model, only to find that the excess carrier film fails to adhere to the surface of the model properly – a process known as silvering – with the result that your model ends up looking like the ones you used to make when you were eight. Thankfully there are a number of products available to help reduce or even eliminate this common but unsightly blight.

Humbrol’s Decal Fix comes in a generous 125ml bottle. You can apply it to the surface of your model before you add the decals, afterwards or both. I guess how much you use will depend on how stubborn your decals are! You can also soak your decals in this product prior to applying them instead of using the usual warm water. I must admit I was a little sceptical about this claim as I thought it might damage the decals, but I tried it on the kit decals from a Revell Ju 88A-4 (they looked quite matt, so I was worried that they would silver) and they settled down beautifully, with no silvering whatsoever. When I checked them again the following evening, they had conformed to every contour of the model, including the Eduard self-adhesive surface panels that I had used.

Conclusion

From personal experience, I would say that this is a good, reliable product. It performs exactly as it should and produces impressive results. I certainly won’t be without a bottle in future. Definitely recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

DecalFix - a warning.

In the current issue of Military In Scale you will see my assessment of Humbrol DecalFix. I'm sure you have all read it.

It performed well in a test, placing a couple of decals onto a Humbrol matt-painted surface with no silvering around and inside the lettering. Quite a remarkable result.

Since then I used DecalFix 'in anger' on my Revell Routemaster Bus kit's decals. A massive task is getting the London Transport logos to sit over high surface beams on both sides of the bus. No problem, the DecalFix made the decals flow over the countours as well as anything I have ever used. The result is perfect on the enamel red-painted surface.

There is however a 'fly in the ointment'. In my review I did mention (almost in passing) that DecalFix and Tamiya acrylics did not seem to get on well together. Today, I have used DecalFix on a pair of AGMs painted Tamiya NATO Black. The missiles are hand-painted with two coats and had a night to dry. When applying a pair of yellow bands around each missile, I applied DecalFix prior to wrapping the decals around the body of the rockets. To my surprise, the NATO Black was lifting, or rather disolving where it was in contact with DecalFix.

As DecalFix is designed to help us to apply decals to matt finishes, such as Tamiya paint, without silvering, this will come as something of a blow to those using Tamiya acrylics.

DecalFix is a brilliant decal fixing product but be warned that a test on acrylic paint finishes is needed before using the solution on your latest masterpiece.

My recent experience would suggest that DecalFix should be used with a degree of caution. Test it first on your chosen paintwork. It appears that you will be OK if using enamel paints but be careful when using DecalFix on any acrylics or there could be tears before bedtime!

Thanks for the warning. Dale Luckhurst who is the product manager for Humbrol gave me a load I was going to use it on my next build and I use acrylics mostly as the smell of enamels it too much for my wife to handle. Not knowing this might have spoiled my model and made me a very upset boy.

I've used it and is very good, but so far only on Humbrol enamels and spray Humbrol Acrylic. I did find it slightly tacky and could be tricky moving a decal into position. however once re wetted with the sloution (or water) decals were moveable. If you use your finger to move it make sure you finger isn't too dry or the decal might stick to it and lift.

Personally I find it better than Microsol/Microset and in comparrison I found those to make the decal too wrinkly and sometimes the decal dries with a crease. I havn't found that yet with Decalfix

Regarding Tamiya paints has anyone tried a coat of Klear over the top to seal the paint before using Decalfix? I don't have any Tamiya paints so can't try it for myself.

Cheers!

Thanks for the warning. Dale Luckhurst who is the product manager for Humbrol gave me a load I was going to use it on my next build and I use acrylics mostly as the smell of enamels it too much for my wife to handle. Not knowing this might have spoiled my model and made me a very upset boy.

If you're looking to get rid of it, I'll happily take a bottle or two off your hands?

For cash of course. :)

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the extra feedback everyone :) As BAC suggests, a coat of Klear or another varnish should resolve the issue with Decalfix softening Tamiya acrylic. I would venture that Decalfix is so effective because it is a little on the 'hot' side. A quick test application on your chosen paint is probably a very good idea before using it in anger. I would re-state that with the caveats noted above, it is a very effective product.

I'm anxious to try this, after having suffered through the Airfix Me Bf109's decals being a tad cardboard-ish.. I was using microsol to get them to settle (which works on every other decal I've used, save some ancient Revell ones that were duff..), which was a dismal failure. I'd be applying them onto Tamiya rattle-can gloss lacquer, so I doubt there's be too many issues.. But any reports on how they tackle Airfix's current red box range decals?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using it on the Lanc over Xtracrylics. Works OK, had some minor bubbling under the decals, but had that on other brands too, but seems to do the job.

That sounds like it the decal rather than the paint, which is what the Microscale system used to do - it usually evens out after a few hours.

I've not had it lift Tamiya, which makes me wonder if its certain colours, much like how Tamiya gloss red is prone to cracking under some circumstances?

• 9 months later...

Hi Paramedic

I haven't but, if it helps, this stuff is very similar to solvaset and will even bed down decals onto a matt surface, as long as you don't panic when the decal flakes and blisters, just leave it alone and a day later it's great. I think it acts like Fairy Power Spray on some acrylics (there are several different, inconsistent types) so may be too aggressive as others have suggested.

I'd strongly suggest painting a test piece and experiment on it until you've got the measure of it.

Used with care it's good stuff, even handles Tamiya super-thick decals. I use it when Microsol and set aren't up to the job.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

@Hamdhan777I know this is eight years later - but the answer is no, you are fine with acrylics...

...but you need to put something in between the acrylic and the decalfix...

I use Klear, but you should be able to use a varnish (including acrylic I think)

I have just put an Eduard decal onto an instrument panel - after painting Tamiya acrylic and spraying Klear

I wicked up the excess Decalfix and just left it

It perfectly conformed to the ip - incredible!!

Afterward I sprayed with 50:50 Vallejo matt acrylic varnish and Vallejo airbrush thinner, and the slightly glossy effect immediately matted to a perfect finish - in my opinion the panel are better than the Eduard photoetch panels (although getting the decal on was not easy!!!!)

• Thanks 1