1/48 Tamiya P-47D Razorback

Awesome build Graham, really nice finish and great save on the invasions stripes :goodjob:

What's the

'polka dot' multi colour oil filter layer
and how do you do it?!

At first I wanted to do a bubble-top in bare-metal but after seeing this build, I'm now going to give a razorback with dpm a crack :lol:

Almost there now - a mist of a filter coat of heavily diluted neutral grey /olive drab mix to blend all the colours in and take the brightness out of the yellow and white markings; followed by Tamiya's new XF-86 Flat Clear...

IMG_5322.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

And now with the Windscreen masking off, canopy removed, some legs and wheels, the belly

tank using Model Master buffing Aluminium and the gun barrels in Gunze Mr Metal Stainless Steel ...

IMG_5325.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

I reckon one more small update before the final reveal.

And finished!!

Wheels, gear doors, sway braces, prop, canopy, pitot tube, antenna and aerial, rear view mirror, nav lights et al all in place.

A little gunsmoke residue on the front ends of the gun barrels, and a hint of fuel staining on the drop tank and likewise a sall amoutn of exhaust staining.

IMG_5328.jpg

See the Gallery and the RFI forum here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234926278 for the rest of the photos.

Edited by graham121
  • Like 2

Wow, great build that you have got there. Just wandering, when you laid the gloss coat over the external paint, was it sprayed on using an airbrush or did you paint it on? How many coats did you do? you mentioned a rub down with a cotton cloth, is this just literally just rubbing it gently by hand once the gloss coat has fully dried? Sorry for so many questions its that I have run into a few problems using Klear over the last week and saw that you used it and had such great results....

• Like 1

Wow, great build that you have got there. Just wandering, when you laid the gloss coat over the external paint, was it sprayed on using an airbrush or did you paint it on? How many coats did you do? you mentioned a rub down with a cotton cloth, is this just literally just rubbing it gently by hand once the gloss coat has fully dried? Sorry for so many questions its that I have run into a few problems using Klear over the last week and saw that you used it and had such great results....

When I use Klear I turn the air pressure right down....I do not know the exact setting as I use a valve on the airbrush and not the the gauge on the compressor but I reckon around the 12 PSI mark give or take. Also, I cut the Klear with about 25 - 30% Windex. Finally I will mist a coat of almost pure windex over everything for a good measure. And the rub down with the cotton cloth was just that, I have an old Tee shirt that is slowly getting 4 4 inch sections cut off it and used for that very purpose.

Hope that helps, fire away if you have any more questions.

Edited by graham121
  • Like 1

Hey

Thank you for the response. I do have more questions...Do you build your gloss coat up in thin layers or medium to thick layers? Are you in Oz as Windex is not available here in the UK. Is Windolene the same stuff? How close to the model do you spray your gloss coat? Once again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

Edited by Tin_Bitz

• 2 weeks later...