LOTUS 49 GOLDLEAF TAMIYA 1/12

TAMIYA LOTUS 49 R1

The Kit

1/12 Gold leaf LOTUS 49B, originally released as a motorised kit in 1969. Tamiya re-released this version in 1991 with limited re-tooling. Areas such as the battery box area remained however, although the electric motor & connections were removed.

The Project

When I got the kit, my early intention was pretty much to build a 49B OOB, not realising just how dated it was ( 40 odd year old moulds....what was I thinking?). The box art work doesn’t even reflect the tooling that you get, clearly showing a 49B with its later rear suspension improvement. It was evident after a careful study of the kit parts & hundreds of reference images, to build anything like a reasonable replica was going to be major challenge. From mid 68’ the 49 had evolved to a point where it had a new nose, wings, gearbox, rear suspension mounts, suspension set up etc. Aiming to build a Gold Leaf sponsored model an early 1968 car was chosen, prior to the additions of wings etc. 2 cars were identified a possible classics to replicate, Jim Clark’s R2 as used in the Tasman race series or Graham Hill’s R1, used at the Spanish grand prix. After a study of the history of the cars, Hill’s was chosen because for me it has a unique place in Lotus history.

From then on the whole project snowballed into a extensive improvement project of just about everything in the box but with a self brief to use as much of the kit as possible & use as many basic materials as available, plastic sheet, brass, alloy & plastic pipe etc. (i.e. keep costs down!)

The only aftermarket items being the funnel mesh covers, body rivets, old leather glove (for the seat) & decals. The brake callipers were kindly cast in resin by fellow Britmodeller Mark (Fazer). Decals are by Indycals, museum collection & a few homemade ones.

Paints were from Halfords, plasticote & the Vallejo range.

Very little of the kit remains “in its box form” most parts were reworked or improved, some minor, some major, most reconstructed or replaced to some degree. Parts such as the instruments, gearstick, starter, clutch slave cylinder, gearbox side plates, brake callipers, ignition system, throttle links, coolant expansion bottle & all pipe work are scratchbuilt.

Brief History

Colin Chapman’s Lotus 49 R1, was the original chassis tested by Graham Hill at Snetterton in 1967 & then its race debut at Zandvoort. Driven by both Clark & Hill in various races, she was at the forefront of any improvements that were made by Chapman & his team between 67 & early 68. The Cosworth powered Lotus 49’s were beginning to dominate the race scene, when tragedy struck in April 1968, with the death of former twice world champion Clark in a formula 2 event in Hockenheim, Germany. This was quickly followed by the death of another Lotus driver Mike Spence, in Indy practice in the USA. This left a dark cloud over Lotus & Chapman deeply affected particularly by the loss of his number one driver Clark, refused to attend with the Lotus team, the Spanish grand prix at Jarama in early May. Despite the new winged “49B” chassis travelling to the event, it remained in the garage as Chapman wanted to oversee its first outing, so Hill had to battle on in the older R1. Despite starting from 6th on the grid, Hill drove to famous moral boosting win for Lotus, and also his first for the team. 2 weeks later at Monaco, Hill moved to a new chassis & R1 was driven by new Lotus driver Jackie Oliver. Under explicit instructions from Chapman “not to shunt her & finish in the points”, Oliver crashed on the first lap of the race, effectively writing R1 off. Some parts were used in a rebuilt 49B chassis tagged R9 in late 1968.

So R1 remains with the honour of being the prototype Lotus 49 & also the last ever winner in its original 49 form.

Here are the finished images, for those who want to see what was required to get her here, please take a look at the WIP it’s here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...c=72440&hl=

Finally thanks to all who have followed & offered encouragement, it certainly helped on the way & also to Stu Davros for the fantastic 49 reference images he sent me, god knows how many times I’ve viewed them, Mark Oakley At MRO F1 for answering any question I threw at him! & to Fazer for making the callipers, cheers lads! Any questions, fire away.

P.S The nose cone has not had its final clear coat, as the Lotus Ford logo is just a temporary inkjet one until I get a better one made.

Hope you like her, All the best, Mac

4GQ_6575E.jpg

4GQ_6547E.jpg

4GQ_6580E.jpg

4GQ_6560e.jpg

4GQ_6558e.jpg

4GQ_6580E.jpg

4GQ_6559e.jpg

dual1-1.jpg

4GQ_6546E.jpg

dual2.jpg

4GQ_6557e.jpg

4GQ_6578E.jpg

4GQ_6583E.jpg

Edited by macgregor
  • Like 6

Hi Mac, :D

Well, your pictures are great, but as I have seen this is the flesh at the last club meet, you can't begin to realise the work that has gone into it! :shocked: From the humble Tamiya kit, you have produced something jaw dropping that should be shared with other modellers at the shows.

I was glad to be a small part of it & it makes me feel good that you warrented my parts good enough to go on it. :blush:

If you have a chance to see this guys, you will not be dissapointed, Top Doller stuff :speak_cool:

see you at the next meet,

Mark :winkgrin:

Hi Mac, That's rather tasty, I like your attention to detail all the extra piping, parts wiring, certainly brings the old kit together. It was a special time in F1 history, you've done it justice.

Colin on the Africa Station

That, sir, is absolutely jaw dropping. Having read through your build thread a week or so ago and the difficulties you've faced I wasn't expecting to see it RFI any time soon but here it is! Congratulations on an incredible build!

I'm never building one of these as I don't think I could ever do it justice!

What a beauty! Back when F1 was worth watching....Sure you didn't just shoot the real one you have stashed in your garage? ;) Brilliant attention to detail and a stunning level of finish! Oh and I saw that season (that's how old I am) Graham Hill was a great personality as well as a great driver!

F

That's an absolutely wonderful piece of model making - stonking stuff. I'm reading Michael Olivers book on the history of the 49 at the moment and he gives a great account of all the little variances in relation to each of the chassis during the marques development and you've captured R1 beautifully with this build. Congratulations on producing this masterpiece and for sharing it with us here , superb stuff,

Cheers,

Paul

Motor racing is my passion , that is one fantastic build very clean nice details all in all superb , and the base should not get forgotten it sets it all off .

Very Very Nice

Richy

That is very good indeed.

You need to enter this at Telford, its better than other stuff I have seen in that class.

Julien

Agreed! Been following this and loved it, the RFI is superb!!

Thanks gents for all your lovely comments, very much appreciated & very humbled!

I'm currently about halfway through a routemaster bus, which is only getting minor surgery here & there. Building that one for the wife, she says "ooh I like that, get one & build it for me"........... who am I to turn the offer of buying a kit without retribution? :lol:

I will be embarking on another 1/12 scale project in the not to distant future but in the mean time I'm probs going to build a plane or something.... that's me Jack of all trades ........... master of none!

Sadly due to family commitments I wont be at Telford but our club will be, so maybe someone might take it down to show.

Thanks again Mac

Mac, that look is the dogs dangly bits. The attention to detail is fantastic.

Still recon that if you could get a small enough driver you could race it.

Looking forward to the next one.

Mac, that look is the dogs dangly bits. The attention to detail is fantastic.

Still recon that if you could get a small enough driver you could race it.

Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for your support Warren.

You got me thinking, perhaps it could be used in a remake of the 1966 film "Grand Prix" Tom Cruise could take the James Garner role? Would have preferred Richard Hammond but I think hes probably still contracted to do more Morrison's commercials :winkgrin:

Mac

I think 1/12 would probably still be too big for Tom even with his elevated shoes!

Grand Prix, what a film, keep meaning to watch it again now I have the surround sound set up properly.

If I can do half as good a job on the Brabham I'll be happy.

Fantastic work Mac. I especially like the fact you've scratch built almost all of your improvements.

I hadn't seen your WIP until now and I am seriously impressed. So much work has gone into making a kit which is somwhere between a '67 49 & a '68 49B into an accurate Lotus 49.

I also think your choice of race is particularly poignant not only for Lotus fans but motor racing fans in general. Graham Hill had to carry on and hold the team together after Jimmy Clark's death as his son Damon did for Williams after Ayrton Senna's death in 1994. Their first wins after these tragic events were both at the Spanish Grand Prix.

You've also really whetted my appetite for Ebbro's promised 49 range in 1/20th!

Phil.