1/48 Harrier GR.7, ZG479, Op Telic, 2003.

Brief start made this afternoon. Cockpit built up and painted:

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

The Pavla set was great, went together in no time. After that dried, it was installed to the front fuselage:

IMG_2791.jpg

Main fuselage section assembled:

IMG_2786.jpg

Also built up all the ordnance; 2x AIM-9, 2x Paveway II, 2x BL755 and a TIALD pod:

IMG_2789.jpg

Not much, but it's a start!

Dave

• Like 1

A bit more to show today. The nose section has been added, as have the intakes:

IMG_2895.jpg

Tail and various other parts attached:

IMG_2896.jpg

I had then intended to attach the wings and LERX but ran into a problem. Here are the parts dry fitted:

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

There is quite a 'step' between the edge of the wing and the LERX. When i corrected that to the same level, the join at the edge of the LERX/wing became a gap and vice versa. Any hints on how to get this right without having to do a tonne of sanding?

Along with the fit problem, i managed to crack the LERX and take a chip out of it!! :banghead:

Also, am I right in saying the two vents on the upper side of the LERX are only on the GR.9?

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Nice work do far Dave despite the damage!

Have you tried fitting the lower wings to fuselage then top wings to LERX and fitting that assembly? Should move any joints to wing leading edges, much easier to clean up.

Failing that you'll probably have to trim LERX before you fit it all.

Yes the 'frog eye' fire access scoops are for GR9, as additional wiring runs down leading edge, blocking old fire access points.

Actually Dave don't whip them off just yet I'll double check the info on the Harrier Sig, I may have mislead you...can't remember if 100% LERX aircraft had them all along...

Thanks Phil. The pictures i have as reference don't seem to show them.

Thanks Phil. The pictures i have as reference don't seem to show them.

Correction, they do!

Ok, more to show, well, a little more anyway! The fit of the LERX was doing my head in, so I pulled it all apart (and managed to crack a wing in the process - this build is cursed!) and started again. I glued the bottom half of the wings to the fuselage, which I should have done to start with as that's what the instructions say! Once dry, I added the LERX, Still wasn't a great fit, so I trimmed some of the forward edge then glued it down. Once set, on went the top halves of the wings:

IMG_2904.jpg

The rear sections of the wings would not sit flush with the fuselage so hence the heavy duty 'clamps'. Once it had set, i had to fix the join lines, which were no where near as pronounced as when i dry fitted a few days ago, but still in need of filler none the less.

This is where we are at close of play today:

IMG_2908.jpg

Pain in the a***!! Note the panel behind the cockpit has also been added. I had to trim this as well to get a flush join.

Next up is to sand off the mess i've made!!

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

You're not having much luck there! I had similar issues with the first one I built but not quite like yours!

I know mate I don't know what's going on!! I thought this would be a doddle after the 1/48 B-1, but alas, no :lol:

We'll get there in the end....hopefully :banghead:

Dave

Well I stuck with it and I'm happy to report that it's cleaned up well! Spent about an hour just cleaning up the mess I'd made of the LERX area then started to add bits and pieces, starting with the wing tips then moving on to the horizontal stabilisers and pylons.

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

Also added the gun pod and TIALD pylon. Does anyone know if the centre line pylon was also carried? Just needs a tidy up here and there then i'll paint the IP coaming, attach and mask the windshield and start the painting!

More to come.

Dave

Thanks Phil.

Good work Dave,

I'm pretty sure they did carry the centre pylon, some jets 'borrowed' Vicon recon pods from the Jag fleet and flew with those on centre line pylon.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I'll add the pylon before painting.

Dave