Indochina AU-1, 1/72 Italeri

Building an Aeronavale AU-1 c.1954, from the Italeri F4U-7 boxing - basically OOB, except for a little gentle fiddling with the decals. Fortunately, the options are there in the box for a passable USMC AU-1, and since the French pressed the planes directly into service from Korea, nothing much changed.

Just running out the door to the airport, so I'll post some pics tomorrow evening!

This one looks a nice simple build, so my fingers are firmly crossed that I'll actually finish a GB on time, this time! I think I originally said I'd build one of my many HueyCobras for this GB, but I already have a modified Matchbox 1/72 in production and the 1/32 ones would just take too long, I suspect.

Cool! I'm building the Revell F4U-5 version of the kit- same plastic I think (I have sprue shots on my build log)

The war weary AU-1 would be an interesting contrast to the other French F4U-7, which I think were more or less brand new for use in Korea.

Look forward to seeing the build,

Will

Wasn't the F4U-7 basically an AU-1 built for the French? So the French used ex-USMC AU-1's in Indochina also? What were the differences?

Regards,

Jason

Wasn't the F4U-7 basically an AU-1 built for the French? So the French used ex-USMC AU-1's in Indochina also? What were the differences?

Regards,

Jason

The French had already ordered their new build F4U-7s by early 1954, but they had not yet been delivered by the time of the run up to Dien Bien Phu. With tensions rising, they asked the Americans for some ex-USMC AU-1s from Korea, on loan, to tide them over. The F4U-7s only made it to Indochina after the ceasefire, though they later saw action in Algeria and, most famously, Suez. A number of differences between the AU-1 and F4U-7, most notably the supercharger (or lack thereof on the AU-1 - it was by far the slowest variant of the Corsair, strictly ground attack only!)

BTW, I cannot recommend the "Ailes de Gloire" book on the French Corsairs highly enough (particularly if you speak some French) - excellent, particularly the walkaround shots, but the profiles and period photos should also prove invaluable.

Thank you, hythe, for the information! I knew about the use of the F4U-7's at Suez, in those famous yellow/black invasion stripes, but I didn't realise they'd used some AU-1's in Indochina.

Best Regards,

Jason

Right, photos!

So far I've just about completed the cockpit - just some harnesses out of painted Tamiya tape still to go. I always find the cockpits fiddly, hopefully things speed up from here!

c2428436.jpg

78a525c5.jpg

12a3e9b8.jpg

44bca84b.jpg

Please forgive the rubbish iPhone photos in dodgy light! :)

P.S. one fairly critical discovery so far - for those of you who may take a crack at this kit in the future, please note that the instructions rather foolishly mix up which of the two sub-types has which engine cowling arrangement - obviously the AU-1 SHOULD have the closer fitting cowling, being unsupercharged, the F4U-7 having the single chin intake (like on an F4U-4). The kit also seems to include the cowling for an F4U-5, just to maximise potential confusion!

Edited by hythe

Update! Very modest progress, but it is starting to pick up the pace - cockpit is complete, time for a dry fit:

5b7184e5.jpg

d48fbb2e.jpg

49864edc.jpg

Now, this is a nicely engineered kit, on the whole - good fit, nice detailing, but the instructions are riddled with errors, so if you try this one at home, PLEASE use decent sources! The cockpit also bears only a limited relation to an AU-1, particularly the instrument panel, but I've tried to do what I can - I plan to make a couple of little armament switch boxes out of scrap to go on the top of the cockpit cowling.

Next up, seal 'er up and on to the wings. In the meantime, I'm off to New York for a couple of days, might try to take in the Intrepid if I can find the time...

• 2 months later...