A couple of old paintings I found

upnorth

Hello all:

I recently came back from a 14 day holiday to my native Canada and took the opportunity to take a look at some older stuff I'd done that I keep at my mom's place.

Both these paintings are over 10 years old and neither are finished:

DSCF8128.jpg

DSCF8130.jpg

The Firefly stayed in Canada as I couldn't remember exactly how I was going to complete it, but I did bring the Vampire back with me as i do remember more of where I was going with it.

Both are acrylic on canvas board.

All comments quite welcome.

The Vampire's a bit too full frame but you were going well with the metal finish on the aircraft . A bit of definition on the pilot and you're up and running again.

Those are two aspects in which I know it is unfinished. Part of the problem is that I couldn't quite pin down where to "trim the fat" on the aircraft and I still can't figure it out looking at it now. I'll probably snap up Revell's reissue of the Heller Vampire as a quick build reference model before I set to any new work on the painting.

I'll also take advantage of the more reliable internet access I have these days to collect more reference images of 6 Sqn. Vampires and their markings. My primary reference for that when I was working on it was the decal placement guide from an old Modeldecal sheet.

The cockpit definitely isn't finished, long way from it actually, as I was coming up short on RAF flight suit details of the period.

Another way it isn't finished is that the background needs more definition and perhaps a pinkish wash in the sky to reflect the dawn or dusk light that's seen bouncing off the aircraft's finish.

Thanks for your comments. It means a lot coming from someone who produces paintings of the quality that you do.

i think there very nice and would be happy on my wall.

is the island below the firefly a real place?

If the island below the Firefly is a real place, I've long since forgotten what it is.

That I was painting it to represent the Canadian Warplane Heritage's preserved Firefly as it appeared at the time, most likely I was working that island to represent one on Canada's east or west coast if I was striving for reality at all with it.

• 1 month later...

Hey Upnorth, nice to know you´re canadian.

Its so nice to know you're an Art Painting Artist too, I liked a lot the Firefly and seems finished, the Vampire is nicely done, just follow the advices from Neil and you're made man.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Thanks for the comments, Luis.

Right now, as my time permits, I'm doing research for a new Vampire painting and using the one above as a basis for it.

I'm going to get a bigger canvas and try to find some decent aerial pictures of RAF Habbaniya from about the period the RAF had Vampires there and give the new painting a completely new background.

I'm also doing some research into the flying kit that a Vampire pilot would have in about 1953 or so.

Nice work, I know you haven't finished them but I really like the loose feel they have, esp.the Firefly it has lots of movement, which any artist will tell you isn't an easy thing to accomplish.

Looking forward to seeing the new Vampire painting,

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks, Terry. that means a lot coming from someone that turns out work like yours.

The new Vampire painting is a ways off yet. I have to get the research done, get the canvas and sort out some space to do it in.