1/48 Revell B-26B Marauder +++FINISHED+++

Ah sh*t...I knew this would happen :undecided:

Thanks Troy - I even remember reading the same stuff on HS - oh well...looks like a re-paint coming up

Live and learn indeed! There was an extra 2hrs modelling I didn't think I'd need to do. So...

Insides re-sprayed black then Alclad Aluminium and all other Interior Green areas also

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Cockpit floor re-painted black and then dry-brushed with Tamiya Silver, Seats painted black with Yellow cushions and olive green belts with painted on brass buckles.

003-2.jpg

I left the Interior Green to the lower part of the cockpit and painted the upper half Tamiya Flat Black as suggested in some of Troy's references. If Dana Bell says it's so...then it is! Bulkhead painted with OD curtains and a red extinguisher and then glued in

004-2.jpg

Both fuselage halves are relaxing while the first set of fishing sinkers are glued in behind the bulkhead - the instructions say 50g of weight, I say more...I will start masking the windows ready to glue them in place

Thanks for looking

Well it was definitely worth doing. The interior looks grand. :speak_cool:

Cheers Paul - actually looks a lot better - my own fault not researching!

Looking good Paul keep it up

wellzy :headphones:

Cheers Les...except it's not Smiffy who is building it! :analintruder:

Afternoon all

After yesterday's repainting and general faffing about with the fuselage and the weights (she has 75g CA'd behind the cockpit bulkhead) I got down to some detailing last night. First off, all the gun barrels needed replacing - there are 11 barrels to replace. There is a 12th fixed forward-firing gun but that has a cover on the barrel which doesn't therefore need replacing as you can't really see it except for the tip as it comes out the plexiglass nose.

Each gun has the barrel cut off and a pin-vice and drill used to drill a small hole in the body of the gun, the new barrel is then CA'd in. The exceptions are the dorsal turret and cheek guns which will have the barrels put in after painting. the guns range from very good (beam guns as below) to poor (tail guns).

002-3.jpg

A quick look at the fuselage mocked up for fit...sleek looking!

003-3.jpg

When I started looking at those horrible tail guns I was checking out the fit at the tail (predictably shocking I have to say) when I noticed that the kit is set up for the Bell M-6 tail turret which appeared on the B-26B/C Block 20 a/c and all subsequent Blocks, whereas I am doing a Block 15 and need the old stepped shield, hand-held twin .50 installation. I checked the instructions and they don't even mention the option, even though the old style turret mount is in there with the correct glazing option.

Here is the M-6 mounting

005.jpg

Here is the one I need for my Block 15

006.jpg

Two minutes with the razor saw and we have this - which looks OK

007.jpg

I have glued the tail-planes and will try and tackle the fit of those next. I should have the body glued up tonight.

Thanks for looking

Edited by AndyC

Great progress. At least your model is more accurate than mine. My interior was sprayed all the way with interior green. Ah you live and learn.

Great progress. At least your model is more accurate than mine. My interior was sprayed all the way with interior green. Ah you live and learn.

I wouldn't sweat it Arnold - having read just about every kit review on the web and in print they all vary. Vive la difference!

• Like 1

Looking good Andy, I battled mine and it never did get finished
She`s coming on great Andy (not Paul) keep it up

Good save on the interior. I admire your determination.

Thank you Mish, Les and Don - first (and it will be the first!) layer of putty gone on the fuselage tonight - I think she is definitely going to be a filler hog. I'm also starting to regret closing the bomb doors as the fit isn't too good there either. Sanding sticks are at the ready...

Evening all

It's been a busy week at work this week, so bench time has been in small bits this week. There has been some progress on the Marauder though...

The fuselage joints are not too bad along the top but are a bit chronic along the bottom...

002-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

Also entirely predictable is that I knocked the butt-jointed tail piece off and had to re-set it, re-putty and re-sand (not the first to do that on this GB though eh?)

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

Got the wings glued and sanded and had a little trial fit...rough join - oh dear...

001-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

I've still got the rear of the tail-gun canopy to fair in yet and apparently the wing/fuselage and wing/nacelle joints are ugly too

Thanks for looking

Hi Andy she`s looking good for a old Monogram kit not to much filler

Good progress Andy

Thanks both - I fear there is a lot more sanding to come! Just had a dry fit of the nacelles - ouch!

Hi all

Small update among the putty dust and spent sanding sticks! As a bit of respite from the fuselage I thought I would start some torture involving the wings. I primed the u/c and painted it Tamiya Dark Sea Grey - there seems to be some consensus that early B models came with Grey painted u/c legs, so that's what mine will have...here they are glued in place - a recipe for being knocked off but there is no way of fitting them comfortably after the nacelles have gone on, so...

003-5.jpg

Masked and painted the prop tips the same time as my Spad and then removed the masking and painted the prop-boss Tamiya Aluminium

004-4.jpg

Fitted the nacelles next - a horrible fit. Very similar to the PBJ-1 I have just done and the fit is as bad. Will need extensive sanding all round and some packing pieces down each inner joint nacelle/wing. Don't even start me on the rear nacelle...a dry fit shows that to be bad too!

005-1.jpg

Also got the engines fitted. They were painted with Alclad and then given a Flory wash, mostly left on. The gear housing was painted Dark Sea Grey. The peculiar engineering of putting the 'mouse ears' as separate pieces was acheived although there are lots of seams to clean up before fitting them to the wing

006-2.jpg

Anyway...onwards and upwards :rolleyes: Thanks for looking

packing pieces down each inner joint nacelle/wing. Don't even start me on the rear nacelle...a dry fit shows that to be bad too!

005-1.jpg

HI Andy

Good work!

When I dug my kit out mostly done circa 1981 [then stashed away for 30 years in bits] , I noted the same problems, solved the same way..filler.

The following is very much 'armchair modelling', but I remember the fight years ago, and while too late now for you, but maybe of use for others.

I wondering if less filling would result in a working the construction less conventionally, by aiming for a fit on the more visible seams...

for example in the above, rather than gluing the nacelle parts together, and adding this to the wing, try adding the nacelle in halves to the wing and either bend to fit of shim with plastic card the centre joint?

I think the nacelle to wing joint needs a load of scraping on the bottomof the nacelle to get it to lie flush with the wing looking at the amount of sanding I did...

As for the wings maybe adding a 'lip' to the fuselage sides wing root, don't glue the inner wing section, the aim being for a better upper wing joint, [mine had a step which I has to chamfer the filler on] and instead fill the leading edge. THis looks like you get the same step.

006-1.jpg

I think there is a way to fit the gear legs later.... or maybe I just cocked up back then, I honestly can't remember. I know I didn't fit them first!

I have one of these stashed away I got off ebay with a bootload of aftermarket, which I'll try the above on......eventually!

HTH [someone at least]

cheers

T

Hi Andy,

Good work. I did fit the gear legs later. That was no problem. That makes it easier to pul the nacelles to the outside so they fit a little bit better, but I also needed some filler with it.

It looks reallly nasty. Is that plastic as brittle as it looks?

In short Don - yes, brittle and hard! It scours easily with heavy sanding such that you have to use lighter sanders to take out the sanding marks and unless extreme care is taken removing from the sprue, then a chunk of the part can be left on there. This is typical R-M plastic (I think the copyright which is always moulded on the lower wing root is 1981) - see my PBJ and FW 190 which both had the same. I'm used to it!

HI Andy

Good work!

When I dug my kit out mostly done circa 1981 [then stashed away for 30 years in bits] , I noted the same problems, solved the same way..filler.

The following is very much 'armchair modelling', but I remember the fight years ago, and while too late now for you, but maybe of use for others.

I wondering if less filling would result in a working the construction less conventionally, by aiming for a fit on the more visible seams...

for example in the above, rather than gluing the nacelle parts together, and adding this to the wing, try adding the nacelle in halves to the wing and either bend to fit of shim with plastic card the centre joint?

I think the nacelle to wing joint needs a load of scraping on the bottomof the nacelle to get it to lie flush with the wing looking at the amount of sanding I did...

As for the wings maybe adding a 'lip' to the fuselage sides wing root, don't glue the inner wing section, the aim being for a better upper wing joint, [mine had a step which I has to chamfer the filler on] and instead fill the leading edge. THis looks like you get the same step.

I think there is a way to fit the gear legs later.... or maybe I just cocked up back then, I honestly can't remember. I know I didn't fit them first!

I have one of these stashed away I got off ebay with a bootload of aftermarket, which I'll try the above on......eventually!

HTH [someone at least]

cheers

T

Cheers Troy. As I said above - 1981 is moulded under the wing, so that would be right. I think if the nacelles could have been spread at the bottom it may have helped to close the gap but actually a bit of plastic shim to close the gap should do the trick. I think the detail will need more than a sliver of Mr Surfacer though :unsure:

A dry fit shows a poor fit on the wing and I think you may be right about shims - I'll have a play about - at the moment the worst one is the starboard one which has the bomb bay roof moulded on (which may be causing the problem - I am 'doors closed', so I may saw it off). I agree about the upper wings joint - if you are going to get one right better top than bottom!