1/48 - McDD F-4B/N & J Phantom II by Academy - released - new VMFA-333 F-4J boxing in 2023

Homebee

The 1/48th McDD F-4B Phantom II announced by Academy (ref. 12232) should be out for the third quarter of 2012.

Source academy homepage:

F-4-B-VF-111-Sundowners-ACADEMY-12232.jp

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Reproduced one-piece fuselage ?

In English, please ?

Quite interesting piece of news, anyway.

Edited by Sebastien

FINALLY!!!!! :frantic:

Well, that puts paid to the theory that it's someone else's old pile of junk. The one piece fuselage is a big plus, I always hate having to rescribe the fuel access panels on the spine. Hopefully it'll be up to the standard of their F/A-18s and F-8s and is the first of the full Phamily. I would expect them to at least produce a F-4D and F-4E as well (and possibly a RF-4C) to cover the home market.

Not sure about the MCP feature though - brings back memories of old Matchbox kits:

symbol_MCP.jpg

I'm going to have to lie down now...

If done properly then a new range of F-4's will be a licence to print money!

Julien

I'm looking forward to it, it has been a long time coming and Hasegawa have been resting on their laurels for far too long in updating the F-4B kit they no longer meet modern standards for the price they seek. Mind you, I was also disappointed when eduard dropped their plans to produce a range of Phantoms. Maybe one day.....

Wow! Thought the project was dead...Now, do I still attempt my J/B kitbash/conversion (fuselage from the J, re-scribed wing from the B ) or better offload the B kit quickly?? :hmmm:

In any case, the most important thing is that Academy will get the shape right. Fingers crossed...

J

Edited by JeffreyK

mmmm...... tempted. never built a phantom kit yet that has had perfectly fitting air intakes (have'nt done tammys 1/32 kit). wonder how this will fair?

• 4 weeks later...

There's definitely hints of future versions: twin light nose gear door (only seen on the land based versions), chaff dispensers, inserts for the catapult hooks to allow for blank panels, Vulcan cannon, ALQ-119 and AIM-9E Sidewinders (not used by the USN/USMC) and what looks like four fin caps. My money's still on a F-4D being next.

It'll also be interesting to see how they tackle the typical F-4 intake issue. :hmmm:

• 4 weeks later...

Mmmmm, tasty. The engine fronts and the diverter plates look very nice. Looking at the wings, it indeed looks like a B to me. Canopy fit looks nice and tight with it closed (important if you don't plan to build it with the canopy opened).