1/35 Tasca Sherman II Direct Vision

Hi all,

My entry for this build will be the 1/35 Tasca Sherman II Direct Vision hull that was in operation with C Sqd., 9th Queen’s Royal Lancers, 2nd Armoured Brigade, 1 Armoured Division, El Alamein, October 1942. There are a couple of other Sherman II DVs in the build so I'll be looking forward to how everybody's kits turn out.

This is a photo of the vehicle I will be modeling which quite handily is one of the decal options in the Tasca kit. This machine was one of the shipment of M4A1 cast hull petrol engined and M4A2 welded hull diesel engined Shermans that Roosevelt directed away from the US 1st AD to British forces in North Africa following the loss of Tobruk in June 1942.

ShermanII-1.jpg

A couple of things you can see from this vehicle are that it doesn't have a regulation paint job in that it doesn't folow the official pattern and there is no white counter shading under the barrel. The suspension has also been left in it's original US Olive Drab color (not Dark Green as the Tasca instructions state). There is also a lot of wear and tear on the front glacis where the hasty paint job appears to be blistering and chipping back down to OD.

The kit itself is already started but I've checked with Mish and Mike and they are happy that it's less that 25% complete

Progress so far

ShermanII1.jpg

Many sprues to go

ShermanII3.jpg

Hope to post some more pics soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates peeps but I took the family down the coast for a winter holiday and haven't been able to spend as much time on the bench as I would like.

Progress to date, well the lower hull is pretty much completed with the exception of a few bibs and bobs, but it's not glued together yet as I want to paint the insides black before I go any further. This is because the commanders hatch on the turret will be posed open and I'd rather someone peering in see black nothingness than bare styrene.

Anyway the kit is a gem to build and has all the detail you could possibly want, the weakpoint if it has one would be the tracks which are the rubber band type but glueable with normal Tamiya extra thin.

ShermanII4.jpg

ShermanII5.jpg

ShermanII7.jpg

Any comments good or bad gratefully accepted as always.

Cheers

Hi Tony I have both the Tasca & Dragon Firefly kits and I would have to put the Tasca above the DML in terms of "buildability". It's the little details like the British aerial mount on the Tasca is a finely molded styrene item where the DML piece is a combo of PE and styrene. Tasca kits are not exactly cheap but it's definitely a case of you get what you paid for.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony I have both the Tasca & Dragon Firefly kits and I would have to put the Tasca above the DML in terms of "buildability". It's the little details like the British aerial mount on the Tasca is a finely molded styrene item where the DML piece is a combo of PE and styrene. Tasca kits are not exactly cheap but it's definitely a case of you get what you paid for.

Cheers

Cheers mate, that's given me the shove in the right direction, look out wallet here I come......Smudge