I wonder how many P-51s there will be. At least one... ;)

At the risk of getting involved in too many GBs at once, I fancy doing a two seater Mustang. Does that count as a P-51 and a half?

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

War weary aircraft converted for pilot training purposes. The one at the bottom was painted overall red. Interesting, I think.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

-and at least two more 1/72 P-51s will be built by me but I will be a late starter.

Don, do you mean the P-51B two-seater they built up at BAD2 Warton for ground crew joy rides from that damaged airframe?

David.

-and at least two more 1/72 P-51s will be built by me but I will be a late starter.

Don, do you mean the P-51B two-seater they built up at BAD2 Warton for ground crew joy rides from that damaged airframe?

David.

No.In Jan '45 the fighter groups were each allowed to convert one old fighter into a two seater for training new pilots in theatre on European procedures. Not for dogfighting though. They were done at base level and were all slightly different in execution. Apparently at least one actually flew a combat mission with a medic in the back seat busily researching on the physical and mental stresses of a single engined trip to Berlin. Craaaaazy!

It looks like an easy conversion and an interesting multi layered paint job.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

I didn't know that, In fact I thought the Warton machine was the only 2-seater at that time, very interesting. If you are making a service aircraft then I will bags the Warton aircraft myself as a third machine.

David.

Those 4th FG two seaters make for colourful models,always liked Duxford's bright red one with its 78th FG checker nose myself or the Wattisham 479th yellow two seater....

I'd like to build them one day,but its the same old story way too many subjects i want to do and very little spare time to make them

At the risk of being boring. My first entry will be a P-51D. Namely a 1:48 version of 'Passion Wagon' that I built for the Mustang GB in 1:32. As 'Passion Wagon' was a P-51D with no tail fillet I will be chopping the tails off of an ICM P-51D and an ICM P-51C and doing a cut and shut job!

My Second build will be a B-17G in 1:72 using the revel kit and it will be very much Out of the Box using the kit decals of "Little Miss Mischief' An interesting aircraft to say the least as she was also a cut and shut job with the forward fuselage from one aircraft and the rear fuselage from another. In fact she had major parts on her from 13 different aircraft. By the time she finished the war she was a very tired looking girl, have been rebuilt twice, shot up, collapsed on landing. Her airframe was considered to be so badly damaged at the end of the war that she was scrapped in the UK rather than flown back home to be scrapped. You might be forgiven for thinking that she was an unlucky aircraft to have been crewed to, however this was not the case as she always returned home with her crew safe. In fact the worst injury sustained was a frostbitten toe when the ball gunner become trapped in his turret. More of her history will be in the build thread.

I really wanted to have a go at this - Kits World does a decal sheet for it - but the weathering is ridiculous! Those hairspray/salt fans out there could have a field day...I give you 'Idiot's Delight'

IdiotsDelight42-958081.jpg

I'd like to join in on this one.

I may be setting too many hares running as I have a huge commitment to two other GB's elsewhere, but this is

such an interesting GB that I have to take part.

I'm off to look through the stash to see what kit to enter.

Deacon

I wonder how many P-51s there will be. At least one... ;)

I'd like to chuck another into the mix, if I may. I've just ordered the new Airfix P-51. I'd like to build that totally OOB for this GB. My main build will still be a Tamiya 1/48 P-51B but the Airfix one will be for a bit of fun.

At the risk of being boring. My first entry will be a P-51D. Namely a 1:48 version of 'Passion Wagon' that I built for the Mustang GB in 1:32. As 'Passion Wagon' was a P-51D with no tail fillet I will be chopping the tails off of an ICM P-51D and an ICM P-51C and doing a cut and shut job!

Mish - you could always consider this: -

Ultracast tail conversion

or else chop the fillet out of the 'D' model which isn't as bad as wasting a 'C' kit. That way you could build the 'C' as your third entry into the group build :winkgrin:

Or, I suppose you could just swap the tails over and build a filleted tail 'C' with a little bit of reshaping of the fillet.

I'm having fun here trying to create work for you :innocent:

I'm torn myself between building the Tamiya 1/32nd P-51D with lots of extras thrown at it or else going for something with more engines and heavier. Still got a week to think about it though.

Pete

I didn't know that, In fact I thought the Warton machine was the only 2-seater at that time, very interesting. If you are making a service aircraft then I will bags the Warton aircraft myself as a third machine.

David.

Those 4th FG two seaters make for colourful models,always liked Duxford's bright red one with its 78th FG checker nose myself or the Wattisham 479th yellow two seater....

I'd like to build them one day,but its the same old story way too many subjects i want to do and very little spare time to make them

Thanks for the interest. The conversion looks quite straightforward. All I need is a second Tamiya P-51B for the transparencies. This could then be built up using the optional malcolm hood. Or if anyone already has the straight sided transparencies left over, I'm not too proud to accept a donation. (Is that too cheeky? I hope not.)

My Second build will be a B-17G in 1:72 using the revel kit and it will be very much Out of the Box using the kit decals of "Little Miss Mischief' An interesting aircraft to say the least as she was also a cut and shut job with the forward fuselage from one aircraft and the rear fuselage from another. In fact she had major parts on her from 13 different aircraft. By the time she finished the war she was a very tired looking girl, have been rebuilt twice, shot up, collapsed on landing. Her airframe was considered to be so badly damaged at the end of the war that she was scrapped in the UK rather than flown back home to be scrapped. You might be forgiven for thinking that she was an unlucky aircraft to have been crewed to, however this was not the case as she always returned home with her crew safe. In fact the worst injury sustained was a frostbitten toe when the ball gunner become trapped in his turret. More of her history will be in the build thread.

Your B-17 sounds like the basis for a cracking book, never mind a build. I'll be very interested in her story.

I really wanted to have a go at this - Kits World does a decal sheet for it - but the weathering is ridiculous! Those hairspray/salt fans out there could have a field day...I give you 'Idiot's Delight'

IdiotsDelight42-958081.jpg

I suspect that the guy who mixed the primer was having an off day!

It's a pitty that I have to wait till wednesday. My fingers are itching to get started even when it's nice weather like today (in Arnhem that is). B)

I'm picking some stuff up from Hannants, at Duxford tomorrow. Once I've had a chance to examine the said bits, I will then be in a better position to make a final decision on what my main entry will be. :hmmm: