Airbrush cleaner for acrylic paints

wbk666

Personally I've used the Vallejo airbrush cleaner for a long time, but I've started to use Celulose (laquer) thinners now which cleans anything! However it does turn some acrylics to jelly, Vallejo and Humbrol, but I mainly use Tamiya and Gunze and it works well for those. One other thing to bear in mind is that it's nasty stuff! I always wear a mask, and spray in the garage with door open.

Phil

I usually flush my gun out (after cleaning) with common liquid lighter petrol (for the zippo type lighters), it is cheap, does not react with any seals and disolves acrylic and enamel paints alike and completely evaporates after flushing so does not provide a lasting fire risk.

David.

Edited by lancfan

Try Premi Air Foaming Airbrush Cleaner for acrylics and Premi Air Liquid Reamer for all other types. Great products, and they really work... the long spray applicators let you get the stuff into where it's needed too. :)

You can get them both from Airbrushes.com.

I exclusively spray Tamiya and LifeColor acrylics through my AB. After shooting a particular colour I'll fill the cup with Mr. Muscle Window Cleaner and spray that through. I find that it lifts off the paint and following a flush of clean water I'm ready for the next lot of paint. At the end of a painting session I'll strip down the AB and use Tamiya thinners and then Medea's fluid to clean the parts.

Cheers,

Ian

I flush through with the thinner of the paint type I have just used then clean up thoroughly at the end with IPA. No one has mentioned IPA, am I doing something wrong and should I be getting myself some airbrush cleaner???

I use the Lifecolor cleaner and it is quite good. Someone else mentioned cellulose thinners and every so often I rinse through with that. It reacts very badly with Lifecolor paint though! I have just bought a can of the Badger airbrush cleaner and that is good as it can get right inside with the spray tube. Worth looking at.

I spray Tamiya acrylics and I exclusively use IPA to clean the airbrush. Just started spraying hairspray through it as well so for that use water. Tried Klear once but didn't like the finish so went back to brush painting Klear :)

Firstly check what the recommended cleaner is for the type of acrylic you are using with the manufacturer.

There are often different bases and what works with one will turn another to jelly.

The window cleaner you mention contains Propan-2-ol (IPA), so personally I wouldn't use it with Vallejo as it can cause it to gel.

The three you mention, I believe humbrol and revell say clean up with water, vallejo have their own thinner and cleaner.

Paul

little-cars

I mainly use vallejo paints, occasionally some GW, and i thin and clean with vallejo cleaner, i have some vallejo thinners but the cleaner works really well and the thinners is still unopened.

I have tried tamiya x-20a but it turned the vallejo gloopy and i had lots of blockages.

I mainly use vallejo paints, occasionally some GW, and i thin and clean with vallejo cleaner, i have some vallejo thinners but the cleaner works really well and the thinners is still unopened.

I have tried tamiya x-20a but it turned the vallejo gloopy and i had lots of blockages.

X-20A = IPA Vallejo generally don't like IPA

• Like 1

Yeah i had read that, watched a couple of videos on phil's site and he seemed to get away with using tamiya thinners for his more commonly used paint brands (model air, tamiya and i cant remeber the 3rd one off the top of my head) but didnt quite work for me lol