Mr.Mark Softer dissolving acrylic varnish (and paint)

atvd1020

While getting decals on a Sweet Macchi 200 trying to settle down with Mr. Mark Softer, the above happened. It managed to eat through Citadel gloss varnish and the Tamiya paint below it. Has anyone else had the same problem with other acrylic varnishes?

Edited by atvd1020

Many of the decal softeners will soften the paint, and even discolour it if you apply it too heavily and allow it to sit for too long. Apply it thinly so it can evaporate within a few minutes, and you must not let it pool. While I havn't had it lift or craze paint, I have damaged it by handling these soft areas before they have fully dried out and am now exremely careful when applying any decal solution.

Yep had that happen to me. I've also had Mr Mark softer cause the colours on the decal to run. It is quite hot. Went back to Microsol on acrylics.

Christof

It happened to me on Klear/future and some acrylic clear coats. As others have said, it's one of the strongest solutions around and must be used sparingly. I prefer to use the Microscale products for most decals and only use the Mr. Mark on some thicker decals that need something stronger than the american products.

• Like 1

Yup, this is strong stuff. had it ruin tamiya decals as well as soften the clearcoat. use as little as possible and dont soak everything it it, and definately dont try to move deacals after applying it. I try to use it only on tough decals like carbon fiber from aftermarket companies as they tend to be more resilient and need to conform to odd shapes.

Yeah it happened to me the first time I used it, but thats because I wasn't used to how strong it is. As others have already said don't let it pool and it will be fine. I very rarely use Sol nowadays, i'll now start with Daco Orange (around the same strength as Sol) and if that doesn't do the job i'll use Mr Softer failing that i'll move on to Daco Red which I reckon is one of the strongest of the softners.

Edited by tank152

• 3 months later...