1/48 Revell B-1B Lancer, OEF, 2012 - Finished!

Another few hours done today, mainly in the cockpit. Added the eduard etched parts to the OSO/DSO's console, which sits to the rear of the cockpit:

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

Also added some detail to the forward bulkhead, as per photo's in the Daco book. Don't know if it will be seen mind you:

IMG_2591.jpg

Moved on and added all the etched parts to the seats:

IMG_2595.jpg

That's pretty much the cockpit assembly completed. Just needs painted, detailed, and put together! I also assembled the main landing gear bay:

IMG_2596.jpg

And to give an idea of size...

IMG_2597.jpg

Moved on and worked on the bombs. 12 GBU-31's to start:

IMG_2598.jpg

Going for a mixed load of 4 'penetrator' warheads, 1 'airburst' warhead, and 7 'impact' warheads. The 10 GBU-38's were next:

IMG_2599.jpg

Only managed to source 4 'airburst' warheads and the remaining 6 are 'impact' warheads. Note the 2 on the far right are Kinetic examples, and seem to be fairly undersized compared to the Hasegawa and Academy examples.

Next up is to (hopefully) complete the cockpit painted.

More to come.

Dave

It's looking very impressive!

(SWMBO = She who must be obeyed. :) I don't subscribe to that concept either.)

Thanks Don.

Ah, that clears it up. No wife for me, still too young and adventurous with the ladies :lol:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Looking good Dave - some nice detail going in there :)

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. Not sure how much of it will be seen mind you! I'm quite impressed with the level of detail on the kit as a whole.

Dave

A bit more to show. Painted the main components of the cockpit in Tamiya XF-19 'sky grey' as this appeared to be a good match the my reference photos:

IMG_2600.jpg

Painted the side walls of the cockpit:

IMG_2601.jpg

I added a small piece of styrene to each side to replicate the prominent wing sweep levers, as per references in the Daco book. Next, i added the Shull 24 ALE-50's to the tail section and filled the seam lines. The resin pieces themselves are works of art, but a little filler was needed to around them:

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

Finally for today, I sprayed the bomb bays and landing gear bays white:

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

My plan for the weekend is to focus on the cockpit section and hopefully get it finished.

More to come.

Dave

Great stuff Dave, looking forward to seeing that one develop. I see my GBU-38's have come to good use as well. But honestly, how many builds can you manage simultaneously??? I can only ever do one project at a time, not just because the references and "mindset" would confuse me (always get into the "zone" when building), but also it always takes over the whole room, stuff everywhere, sub-assemblies, painted bits, puttied bits, references and tools tools tools...impossible to do more than one at a time.

Jeffrey

Great stuff Dave, looking forward to seeing that one develop. I see my GBU-38's have come to good use as well. But honestly, how many builds can you manage simultaneously??? I can only ever do one project at a time, not just because the references and "mindset" would confuse me (always get into the "zone" when building), but also it always takes over the whole room, stuff everywhere, sub-assemblies, painted bits, puttied bits, references and tools tools tools...impossible to do more than one at a time.

Jeffrey

Thanks Jeffrey. At the minute, it's all the B-1B. My other projects have ground to a halt. I usually manage 2 at a time on the 'when that's drying i can build this' philosophy :lol:

Dave

Nice Build Dave look forward to the finish build

mind you , you will have to stand well back to get it in

one photo

wellzy :headphones:

Thanks mate. I know, tell me about it! Think it will have to be 'take the picture in the back yard' mission!

Cheers

Dave

More progress today. After looking at some more images in the Daco book, i decided to add the throttles and flap/slat levers to the front console (made from scrap plastic):

IMG_2608.jpg

Also noted that the OSO and DSO have side control columns for RFS (Radio Frequency Surveillance) and ECM systems so, again, I added these from scrap plastic:

IMG_2607.jpg

Then I moved on and started painting the cockpit. All details were 'picked out' with a selection of cocktail sticks. Also added a bit of wiring here and there:

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

I added some small details to the cockpit sidewalls, as per the Daco book. Also added the windows:

IMG_2616.jpg

ACES II ejection seats:

IMG_2617.jpg

Details added to the front landing gear area:

IMG_2609.jpg

The completed cockpit section attached the front landing gear bay and seats installed:

IMG_2618.jpg

While that was drying, i added some of the Eduard etch to the main landing gear bay:

IMG_2620.jpg

Started work on the 3 bomb bays:

IMG_2621.jpg

Built up the engine nacelles. I decided before i started the build that I would use FOD covers on the intakes, partly because many pictures of B-1's on the ground show them, but mainly because I've read many a horror story about getting the inner trunking flush and the further hassle of adding the RCS vanes:

IMG_2622.jpg

To give an idea of size...

IMG_2623.jpg

Finally for today, i closed up the nose section and added the nose cone:

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

size comparison...

IMG_2624.jpg

Next up is to focus on the bomb bays, rotary launchers and main landing gear bay.

More to follow.

Dave

That's a lot of Styrene!! But looking great so far! I admire you for attempting this - I certainly wouldn't be able to - the girlfriend would crucify me for making something that size!!

It certainly is a task!

....and i still have no idea where i'm going to display it :lol:

Dave

Looking good Dave,

You're certainly belting through this kit!! Fastest B-1 build I ever saw!!

Have you seen all the issues around fitting the CE cans?? In my opinion they are too small?

Keep it up Dave!!