Lufwaffe F-4F flying suits

speedy

I've just started my 1/32 Revell F-4F and looking at reference photo's the crew have orange suits. I would have thought in the times they would have been green or grey - can anybody offer any info? There is a German chap in work and he thinks they're immersion suits?

Steve.

Hi Steve

I have a couple of photos I took at the GAF museum in Gatow.

Depends of the timeframe you want to build your Phantom...but back in the 70s and 80s the crew used to wear orange flight suits with gray leather jackets. The AIRDOC books have a couple of good reference pics.

I'm back home at Monday and can check my drives for the pictures.

Cheers,

Alex

I think a few NATO Air Forces used orange flying suits including the German Air Force, German Navy and Dutch Navy. The Dutch were still using them as late as 1989.

They were not immersion suits, just standard flying overalls:

6619053371_13d6d497eb_z.jpg

Orange suitswere meant to make the crew more visible in case of an ejection, especially when flying over the sea. IIRC they were only supposed to be used in peacetime, while in case of war a green version would have been used.

Orange suitswere meant to make the crew more visible in case of an ejection, especially when flying over the sea. IIRC they were only supposed to be used in peacetime, while in case of war a green version would have been used.

Two Dutch NH90 have been operating on exchange visit to Culdrose ,the crews are wearing orange flying overalls still.

JASDF wore Orange Flight Suits for a long time, too.

Essentially, during peace time it makes you a lot easier to find if you go down either in the water or a (relatively) uninhabited part of the world.

Irish...that's exactly what I had in mind.

Steve, sorry couldn't search my files yet as we travelled for the weekend to the Baltic Sea...my wife had birthday yesterday and I just couldn't find a nice present :-)

We'll be back tomorrow evening and I will search for the close photo of the flight suit.

Hi Steve

I was a flying clothing fitter in the RAF between 1969/78 and inthe last four years of my service was at Lossiemouth in the Jaguar flying clothing section. I saw the german aircrew regular both in winter and summer and they did wear flying suits and immersion suits in bright orange, hope this helps

Geoff Arnold

W heli Sig /Telford ipms[/size]

I have a couple of photos I took at the GAF museum in Gatow.

Depends of the timeframe you want to build your Phantom...but back in the 70s and 80s the crew used to wear orange flight suits with gray leather jackets. The AIRDOC books have a couple of good reference pics.

I'm back home at Monday and can check my drives for the pictures.

Cheers,

Alex