Westland Wessex HU-5

Italeri's 72nd scale Wessex lured me away from my larger scale work.

I added a cockpit from Pavla, and opened up both pilot's windows to allow it to be seen.

I added handles and steps from wire and plastic strip.

The decals are after market items, but I cannot remember who's. :sorry:

I used Humbrol enamels through out.

Hu1.jpg

Hu2.jpg

Hu3.jpg

Hu4.jpg

Hu5.jpg

Hu6.jpg

Hu7.jpg

Hu8.jpg

Hu9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Nice! I do like a Pusser's Wessex in the SAR scheme. Does anybody remember "Nationwide" on BBC1 years and years and years ago, they did a whole series with 771 in Culdrose. Good model though.

Excellent job, HL-10! I don't know if many of you gentlemen have seen a Choctaw/Wessex in action, but that is one big chopper! I saw a couple of civilian Choctaws years ago at the "Power of Houston" display (they set off fireworks from the skycrapers downtown, and were using the CH-34's to haul things back and forth). It looked like you could fit a couple of the little Loaches the Houston Police used into the hold of one of those monsters.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Nice job you made of your Wessex model, it certainly looks the part. The Rescue scheme has to be one of the nicest schemes in which it flew. I like the detail you have added but one point if I may, add some mid/dark grey wash to the intake grill, just to tone it down a tad.

Ex Wessex grubber.

Colin on the Africa Station

Are you sure you got the scale right??? 1/32 not 1/72 cos' it looks like 1/32...................nice one!!

Are you sure you got the scale right??? 1/32 not 1/72 cos' it looks like 1/32...................nice one!!

Oh how I wish there was a 32nd scale Wessex out there (apart from the Combat Models vac form!)

Thanks for all the compliments, and advice.

I have a big soft spot for the Wessex, stood virtually under one as the Royal Marines abseiled out of it during a visit to my school, many years ago.

Since then I have seen many close up and I have built 3 so far.

Just waiting for Heritage Aviation's 1/48th one to be available.

IN such a small scale that is truly outstanding. The details like the cockpit steps and the HF aerial are exquisitely fine, as close to scale size as possible, I would imagine. Excellent paintwork too, on a subject where even the paint scheme is tiny and complicated.

I agree with Heloman that the grill on the intake looks a bit plain, compared to the detail on the rest of the airframe. A wash or possibly some kind of grill like material (pe, nylon tights?) might help.

Your blades are superb. I note the different shades of black between the spar and the pockets. They are, of course, unfortunately perpendicular, but there's not a lot you can do about that in this kit, I think. You seem to have nailed the droop absolutely. Last time I tried, I snapped the darn things!

Weathering? Spot on, mate. Just dirty enough and in all the right places too.

Hey, I just noticed that the warning triangles on the flotation gear are wonky - just as they always were! You have a great eye for detail.

Speaking as a long time Wessex engineer (Odiham, Benson, Aldergrove, Akrotiri), this model's really made my day. 10/10!

but that is one big chopper! ... It looked like you could fit a couple of the little Loaches the Houston Police used into the hold of one of those monsters.

Jason

Maybe haul one underneath but the cabin is actually fairly small, not even high enough to stand up in. A Wessex weighed about 7 tons, same as a double deck bus.