P-51D Mustang "Glamorous Glen III"

Hi,

This is my first Mustang. I finished her about 3 weeks ago. (OK, to be honest it's not my first Mustang, but the first one was too ugly to be allocated shelf space, so I binned it a couple of years ago :thumbsdown: )

It is finished in the markings of Captain Chuck Yeager, 357th Fighter Group, 363rd Fighter Squadron, 8th Airforce, Leiston Airfield, England, 1944-45.

Aftermarket stuff includes resin propeller and spinner, wheels, exhausts, droptanks and wheel wells, and also some Eduard photo-etch.

The wings was puttied and painted a mix of aluminium and light grey. The fuselage was painted pure aluminium. All Vallejo colors.

I used BarracudaCals decals as a guide, but painted most of the markings and national insignia.

I kept the weathering level low, as period pictures show that this aircraft was kept clean and well maintained.

Thanks for watching!

Img_1293.jpg

Img_1284.jpg

Img_1270.jpg

Img_1280.jpg

Img_1268.jpg

Img_1288.jpg

Img_1277.jpg

Img_1267.jpg

Img_1290.jpg

Img_1310.jpg

Edited by KLP

Very nice model! :thumbsup2: Which kit is it?

Hope you don't mind a small point in the interests of accuracy: although the 357th were referred to as "the Yoxford Boys", their base was called Leiston.

Cheers,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Mike: Thanks alot for that information. I just wrote what the BarracudaCals said. but I'm always happy to get more precise information :)

It's the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit by the way.

Edited by KLP

Thank you very much for your comments.

Mike: Thanks alot for that information. I just wrote what the BarracudaCals said. but I'm always happy to get more precise information :)

It's the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit by the way.

You're welcome KLP. I thought it might be the Tamiya 1:48 - my favourite Mustang kit and on a par with their B/C/MkIII - in fact one of my favourites of all time.

A nicely done example of it.

Thank you very much, guys - much appreciated!

Very nice build,

Just one little ponit for the next one, the paper drop tanks were only every used once, so they would not have any fuel stains

Mike, I had the same thought when doing it, but I based the weathering on this photo, which seems to show some kind of dirt on the tanks - fuel stains or something else. But thanks for the information!

P51-1_300.jpg

Cheers