Strange window(?) on the Vildebeest

Sten Ekedahl

I'm soon getting ready to close up the fuselage of my 1/72 Vildebeest. But there is one detail that puzzles me. Just in front of the pilot's windscreen there is a small circular window on the starboard side according to the kit instructions. However it there is no opening for it, but the kit instructions tells you to drill a hole for it and then insert the provided clear part. So far so good. But first of all this window interfers with the instrument panel, and secondly I can see no practical use for a window in this location. Looking at photos of the aircraft under restoration in NZ, there is a round opening in this location. But is it a window or an inspection hatch that is not yet covered? I have been unable to find it on contemporary photos, so my last alternative is to ask the extemely knowledgeable members of this forum for a possible answer. TIA

This is a Vincent - but those circles look like windows to me ...

It sure does to me too. And even another one on the centreline! At least that photo is conclusive evidence for me regarding the window to the right. What I still can't understand is the reason for these windows. Are they situated in front of or behind thje instrument panel? That could shed some light (pun not intended) on the reason for them. Anyhow, I can now move on with my model. Thank you for all the help!

PS. Surprised the crew in the photo are smiling. I would have been red faced with embarrassment...

A thought just occured to me. Could that (those) window(s) be to to provide some overhead lighting for the bomb aimers position underneath?

BTW. What's the difference between a Vildebeest and a Vincent?

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

There's at least one cutaway of the Vildebeest showing the instrument panel being in front of these round windows (ie the instrument panel is closer to the engine than the circular windows - dunno if it's accurate, though). I very much doubt these windows were to provide illumination for the bomb aimer's position. There's a lot of "gubbins" (just throwing a technical term there), like rudder pedals, footboards, control linkages etc, between these small windows and the bomb aimer's position. Also, there were other, larger, windows in the fuselage sides that would have afforded much greater illumination to the bomb aimer's position than these 2 piddling little portholes.

Robert,

Love that pic - great shot of the area in question. I think the "no step" markings on the lower wing are interesting...they remind me of the same markings applied to Vickers Wellesleys.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by mhaselden

Robert,

Love that pic - great shot of the area in question. I think the "no step" markings on the lower wing are interesting...they remind me of the same markings applied to Vickers Wellesleys.

Thanks, though I only found it on the web ... does anybody know what the thing that looks like a clarinet is on the right of the picture?

Just curious

They are windows to provide daylight onto the panel, some Hawker types had triangular ones on the port side over the throttle. The "clarinet" could be the end of a fire extinguisher lance.

John

Thanks, though I only found it on the web ... does anybody know what the thing that looks like a clarinet is on the right of the picture?

Just curious