Turkish Aerobatic Team F-86E

Tony,

As you are going to use those wing decals you will need to remove the wing fences on the airfix kit. This is good as they are in the wrong position by 4 to 5mm which is a lot in 1.72

Julien

• 2 months later...

Just made a late start on my build, I'm covering the fuselage with natural metal. I use Scotch-Cal by 3M. I have been using this stuff for years with some quite good results, it is very thin and flexible so compound curves are no problem..I use an Xacto razor saw for the riveting.

First application on port fuselage.

001-1.jpg

Rivets added.

003-2.jpg

It looks better in the flesh than in the pictures...

Smudge

Edited by swordfish fairey

Hi Tony,

That looks a bit good!! - I'll be very interested in how this turns out, cos I've always had trouble doing NMF finishes, and only just started to try using foil. I haven't used anything special like you though, I've just been trying it with the foil wrappers from Kit-Kats - It's not bad stuff, nice and thin, but also quite delicate, and will tear if you so much as look at it sideways!! doh.gif So, I'll be watching this with interest and hoping to pick up a few tips from a master!! . Good luck popcorn.gif

Tony R

Edited by TonyR

That looks like a lot of hard work and it is looking very good.

Out of curiosity, are you not worried that when you start putting the fuselage and wings together that you'll damage all that work? I just ask because I know when I build kits, I have to have most of the assembly done before starting on the finish as it's a dead cert that I'll mess things up otherwise.

Gary

Made a start on the wings, the recessed panel lines make easy work of the covering..

003_1067x800.jpg

The fuselage is fitted in for show as I have not yet done the cockpit....

005_1067x800.jpg

Hi Gary, sorry I didn't read your post untill tonight, no it works out quite good. I usually panel short of any joints, glue them together and then finish off the covering. It is a lot easier to cover with the parts flat out on the work area...Give it a try, if I can do it, I'm sure you can

Smudge

Yes that's spot on Alpha, I use a an old awl with a slightly blunted point to find the panel lines after I apply the covering. Then slice through with a 10a scalpel blade. The Scotch-Cal is great as you can burnish it to give a highly polished surface or a quick Micro-Mesh and it looks like old scoured aluminium. I once built Hasegawa's 1/32 F-86 using this stuff and it won numerous competitions, so it works well for me.......Smudge

That Sotch-Cal stuff looks terrific. I have used foil and glue before which look OK and I had trouble with Bare Metals Foils stuff as it always creased when I pulled it off the backing. I must admit I do like eating the chocolate to get the foil though!!

Good luck with the decals - I see you have cut the wing fence off already.

cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

I have managed to get the PM decals on, and do you know? they aint half bad..The wing scallops went on in one piece and the fuselage stripes have gone on very well....I have used some white Scotch-cal for the fin and it seems to have worked out alright..

004_1067x800-1.jpg

The coffee jar top has potential as well, a coat of mat black should do the trick.....

Cheers Grant the Scotch Cal does work well, but no Choccy I'm afraid, the fences will go back on in their new position........Smudge

Edited by swordfish fairey

That's more than a bit nice Tony, that's b****y georgeous!! - I've never been able to do a realistic NM finish, but between this Alclad stuff and foil coatings, if I cant make one to look reasonable now, then I think it's time to put 'em all back in the box!! - Well done mate, she's a cracker!! :clap:

Tony R

and I love what you've done with the coffeejar lid!!

Edited by TonyR