Best way to paint dpm

mburnett

Just wondering what people do to paint dpm on figures as I'm a totally newbie and have some desert rat figures to paint from the first gulf war. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I use a real life item as a guide and hang it up on the back of my model room door. I have a jacket in temperate (green) dpm and a shirt in desert dpm - each cost me about £5.

Failing this check some of the military surplus dealers for some clear pictures and use these as a guide.

Colours will vary between garments, so after painting the jacket I always lighten or darken the colours before doing the trousers so there is tonal variation as the figure looks more realistic this way. Once I have painted all the camouflage, then I shade the creases etc.

If your figures have rolled up sleeves then these need to be in a plain colour, as my garments are only printed with the camouflage pattern on the outside.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ben

Trumpeter do some decal sheets for various camouflage types, which they include in their figure sets. Whether they do a British soldier set with DPM decals, I don't know, but it's worth a look :)

you could of course get a photo of a sheet of DPM material and print it on some clear decal paper once you've scaled it to 1:35? :hmmm:

That guy can indeed paint thanks for the tipsIi'll give it a go and see what happens. Right now they've got a base coat on them just need to add the brown disruptive pattern and see what it looks like.

• 2 months later...