Model Filler

Paul A H

Model Filler

Humbrol

humbrolfiller.jpg

A tube of decent quality filler has got to be an essential component of even the most basic of modelling toolkits. It’s rare that a kit doesn’t need a smidgen of filler somewhere, even if the gap to be filled is the responsibility of the modeller rather that the manufacturer of the kit!

Humbrol’s filler is marketed as a fine grade filler, and I’d certainly agree with that. It’s easy to apply and soft enough to use in small quantities if needed. If applied with the edge of a blade, it will dry to a smooth, almost glossy, finish. It takes a while to dry fully – Humbrol recommend 24 hours – but once dry it can be sanded easily. It can also be re-scribed fairly easily too, which is handy if you need to restore detail lost as a result of the filling and sanding process.

Conclusion

Every modeller needs a product like this in their toolkit. Humbrol’s filler does exactly what it says on the tube, and being a Humbrol product, it should be readily available from all good model shops. It’s easy to use too, which is always a bonus. Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

Model Filler

Humbrol

humbrolfiller.jpg

A tube of decent quality filler has got to be an essential component of even the most basic of modelling toolkits. It’s rare that a kit doesn’t need a smidgen of filler somewhere, even if the gap to be filled is the responsibility of the modeller rather that the manufacturer of the kit!

Humbrol’s filler is marketed as a fine grade filler, and I’d certainly agree with that. It’s easy to apply and soft enough to use in small quantities if needed. If applied with the edge of a blade, it will dry to a smooth, almost glossy, finish. It takes a while to dry fully – Humbrol recommend 24 hours – but once dry it can be sanded easily. It can also be re-scribed fairly easily too, which is handy if you need to restore detail lost as a result of the filling and sanding process.

Conclusion

Every modeller needs a product like this in their toolkit. Humbrol’s filler does exactly what it says on the tube, and being a Humbrol product, it should be readily available from all good model shops. It’s easy to use too, which is always a bonus. Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

I have a tube of this on the go - as well as a tube of Vallejo and some Green Stuff. I have to say that all three fill OK but the Humbrol and Vallejo both tend to dissolve when water is added to the equation, when rubbing down wet or washing the model which I do continuously during prepping. Green stuff and Milliput are both fine with wet abrading but the Green stuff can be a bit of a pain to get hardened off if filled areas are a bit deep. I've got some Revell Plasto in stock as well but haven't as yet used it so unable to comment on that product.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm using a white filler at the moment, can't remember brand, certainly solvent based. Sands OK, but difficult to sculpt.

TBH I'm probably going to replace it with Milliput, as I like the wet sculpting ability of that filler with dry sanding, but I might look at this Humbrol stuff as well.

I have at least five types of filler on the go, tip-ex for very small gaps, vallejo for shoulder joints on figures (for example) which I just wipe off with a fingertip, plastiscene for very large gaps (and then fill the final layer with something harder), superglue of various grades and finally the all time favourite milliput, used it for twenty years and it just does what it says on the tin!

• 1 year later...

I have a tube of this on the go - as well as a tube of Vallejo and some Green Stuff. I have to say that all three fill OK but the Humbrol and Vallejo both tend to dissolve when water is added to the equation, when rubbing down wet or washing the model which I do continuously during prepping. Green stuff and Milliput are both fine with wet abrading but the Green stuff can be a bit of a pain to get hardened off if filled areas are a bit deep. I've got some Revell Plasto in stock as well but haven't as yet used it so unable to comment on that product.

OK, after a search I now know what "Green Stuff" is. I'm using Humbrol at the moment but finding it hard going where a lot of filling is required, for example badly fitting fuselages.

I've seen 'green paint' on some models in WIP forums - anyone help with what this is?

I already have sandpaper and a tin of elbow grease (from my youth) so no tricky answers please!

Green Stuff shrinks on drying, and clogs your files (but then most fillers do that). It also, as said above, needs to be applied thin, in layers if necessary. There is a finer White Stuff (I think that's the correct name) but as with GS it is inclined to dry in the tube before you've used more than a fraction of it. For large areas I'd use Milliput - though again unless you use it fairly often you will lose most of the supply. For finer filling Mr. Dissolved Putty is the best I've found. I haven't had it long enough to judge on the loss percentage due to drying before use.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I must admit I use the Humbrol filler the most of all types I have tried. I bought the Squadron Green filler after having seen it recommended in a number of build articles but I have found it to be a bit coarse and gritty (Smells like Isopon car body putty but actually seems coarser in texture and not as cohesive).

The only thing I find with the Humbrol is that it has to be used rapidly otherwise you don't get an even application and will have to fill in the gaps later. The upside is that, if you add varying amounts of styrene cement it will becomes as liquid as you want it. I have contemplated making up a bottle of humbrol filler mixed with poly cement that I could inject or squeeze into seem lines and gaps but I have yet to put this idea into practice. You do have to be careful as the styrene cement will melt the styrene in the region of the fill so avoid touching the area until dry or detail will be lost and you get some great fingerprint marks on the model.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anybody had a case of seperation with this stuff? I bought a tube today that ejected a black glue like substance upon opening. I've squeezed a third of the tube out and the black stuff keeps coming. I've used this filler before and never encountered this problem.

Edited by Avgas

• Julien locked this topic