1:32 scratchbuilt B-17 Fortress diorama - update 06/11 FINISHED!

*update 29/08/12*

Hi everyone - here's my latest update.

I've made a start on the cockpit - the most logical thing to start with was the instrument panel. In my last update I showed you the instrument panel with holes punched out for the various instruments - I've now completed that. My method is this - cut out a duplicate fascia from thin, white plastic card, and give it a coat of gloss varnish - this will give the instruments a nice surface to adhere to and make them show up more against the black of the panel itself. Once dry, place the I.P. over the top and mark out the position of each instrument onto the plastic sheet underneath. I then added instrument dials from Airscale, Mike Grant & Waldron - they are not exactly right, but a close facsimile of what I could see in my reference pics. Data stencils are Airscale again. After sealing these in with a coat of varnish I glued the pre-painted I.P. over the top, and replicated the glass in each instrument with a coat of Micro Kristal Klear. Here's a pic of the real thing, and then mine - the slightly 'frosty' look is what happens when you inadvertently use acrylic varnish over the top of enamel paint! Oh well - it wasn't completely disasterous and looks OK to me:

b17_c.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

There's some more dials and bits and bobs to add but this represents most of what needs to be on there.

Nest up was the throttle quadrant. There's a million pics of this on the net, and in reference books, but once again I will use the excellent images of the restoration of the Duxford B-17G provided by David Whitworth & WIX forum member 'Bomberflight' on the Warbird Information Exchange website - thanks again for allowing me to use them.

Here's what I need to reproduce:

357-1.png

360.png

350-1.png

361.png

and the top:

341.png

You can see it is fairly complex - directly behind it, butted up against the instrument panel is the mag box.

Here's mine - plastic card, strip and rod and fine metal wire for switches, along with some spare Verlinden resin boltheads I had lying around:

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

mag box:

IMG_2854.jpg

at the front, underneath the throttle and mixture controls is the autopilot - here it is:

379.png

IMG_2853.jpg

I also made the pilot & co-pilot's seats from plastic card, with milliput cushions - I'll add some Radu B. seatbelts at a later date as well as any other details on the seats themselves - I needed to make them so I could figure out how big other things needed to be in the cockpit. I checked the size by using the discarded lower half of a 1/35 figure - and then made the seats a little larger to scale them up to roughly 1/32. bear in mind I'm doing everything by eye here!

IMG_2859.jpg

Finally I chucked a coat of paint on the back of the instrument panel. more things need adding, such as a data stencil on the fire extinguisher...plus a load more wiring etc...I can only add this later once the I.P. is glued in place. This is by no means finished, but you get the idea....

IMG_2860.jpg

More updates soon!

Rich

• Like 1

*update 6th September 2012*

Hi everyone - a small update today.

I've been beavering away at some of the other controls found in the cockpit, and adding a touch of paint to what I've already built.

I just bought a great new reference book I wasn't previously aware of, the Wings & Wheels Publications special on the B-17G. Really impressive book - in my opinion slightly better than the Aero Detail book! Of course I didn't really need it desperately, with the available reference pics online...but it has several shots I can't find elsewhere & for that reason is worth the purchase price - the moral is, you can never have too many references!

OK back to the build.

I will use more pics from David Whitworth & WIX forum member 'Bomberflight' on the Warbird Information Exchange website, a big thanks to them once more for allowing me to do so.

On the right hand side of the I.P., tucked up underneath the dash is a control box which also has the fire extinguisher handles. Fortunately, although controls such as these represented state of the art technology in the '40s, by modern standards the cockpit is spartan & the controls are relatively easy to replicate - once again I used plastic sheet, strip & rod & thin fuse wire for details.

374.png

373.png

IMG_2862.jpg

A bit hard to see unpainted so here it is painted up - I used Airscale data stencils for added detail:

IMG_2874.jpg

Directly in front of that are the Intercooler temperature controls:

384.png

393.png

IMG_2868.jpg

On the left hand side of the cockpit we have various instruments - An obvious place to start was the one closest to the I.P.....not entirely sure what this one is.

385.png

383.png

IMG_2865.jpg

Same method for making instruments as the I.P. - here's what it will look like fused together:

IMG_2866.jpg

Finally here's the throttle quadrant painted up - once again I used Airscale data placards. I prefer these to the Mike Grant placards, which seem to disintegrate at the slightest touch... sorry if the pics are a little blurry, the camera wasn't focusing correctly I think...

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

More updates soon!