35th FW F-16 CJ CCIP

My second entry-whether I finish we will have to see, but I will give it a real good go.

One of my "Holy Grail" kits-that group of kits which I would make over and over again and never be bored. Other members of this group in 1/32 include Academys Hornets, Trumpy's Tomcats and Super Hornets and Tamiya's Eagles and Phantoms.

But to the Viper....

2012-05-27190741.jpg

This pic shows the boxart, the contents, instruction book and the very nice colour chart / poster. It is packaged very thoughtfully and there are some very innovative features to this kit.

The parts, very well engineered and some old Viper issues solved with this kit-namely the wing / fuselage join. Detail is excellent. There is a very large metal nose weight included which goes under the cockpit. It compensates for if you want to display the engine outside the aircraft.

2012-05-27190822.jpg

Showing the major parts. The breakdown is quite clear.

2012-05-27190956.jpg

I will finish the kit as the 35th FW Commander's ship (as included in the 1/48th scale version). Decals will be from an Academy kit which was finished as a Block 40.

I like this kit a lot, let's see if I can do it justice....

Joel

Here is the F-16 in question

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-16/..._35fw_2007a.png

Markings similar to this one are included with the Academy kit. The jet has a samurai on one side of the tail, and a panther on the other. I know it's grey, but the tail markings are quite attractive. The decals by Cartograf are excellent with the Academy kit, better than Tamiya's.The Tamiya kit comes with markings for 4 jets-the 79th FS Tigermeet 2001 jet and one from the 77thFS and one from each of the 35th FW's squadrons-the 13th and 14th FS'

Not a great deal to show so far, just been doing some white, and worring about the static dischargers!

Joel

• 2 weeks later...
A man with a lot of time on his hands

Good lugk with your build I for one will be watching

wellzy :headphones:

Thanks, I need it with this kit! Actually, it's fairly flown together! Thanks to the very long weekend, a lot has been done!

The instructions have you start not with the cockpit, but the engine dolly-a fine little kit in itself. I may finish it for this build, not sure just yet. This pic shows the lower fuselage with the engine support and its pipwork.

2012-06-05123202.jpg

Here is the rear intake section, wheel bay and upper engine compartment. All the parts fit with little or no drama. Or even glue!

2012-06-05123143.jpg

8 screws make a nice snug fit onto the lower fuselage

Wheel bay and landing gear in place

2012-06-05171737.jpg

The landing gear is very well detailled and fits together really well. It is very strong and stiff. The battery still needs painting at this stage, but not to worry

2012-06-05172848.jpg

Front intake and nose gear fitted. Again, absolutely nothing to worry about here, just take your time

2012-06-05172829.jpg

That dreaded centreline section? Fits like a glove! Looks like I got everything lined up right!

The major components-lower fuselage, upper fuselage, vertical and horizontal tails.

2012-06-05174728.jpg

The static wicks were not the problem I thought they might be. Went in just fine

Looking into the lower fuselage engine compartment from the back.

2012-06-05124742.jpg

The engine-padded cell time! There are 18 of those little zinc chromate bits to fit...

2012-06-07173513.jpg

...but it's worth it, The engine in all its glory. Quite enjoyed this part of the build.

2012-06-07205801.jpg

The parts behind are the outer nozzle and rear fuselage / donut panel.

Padded cell time part II! Tamiya have included seatbelts, but as part of the masking! This should be fun...

2012-06-07173425.jpg

..but it turned out okay. I did cheat a bit here though! The idea is to thread the tape through the buckles, then fold the ends together. For the life of me, I could not do it! So I ended up making the lower belts double the length and stuck the buckles on top. Shh, don't tell anybody

Here is the finished seat, only a couple of decals to add here.

2012-06-07205914.jpg

I have done a whole lot more than this-the wings are complete, the tail is on, the radar is finished and now the engine is fitted too. More pics tomorrow! This kit really is a masterpiece....

Thanks for looking,

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106