Fe2b Wingnut Wings 1/32

Despite looking fragile, The Fe2b was was actually quite a strong aircraft and generally popular with aircrews. That big engine offered quite some protection from rounds being fired from behind, and it had an excellent forward field of fire. The thing I find most astonishing is the way the Observers in the front used to stand up and move their machine gun to various different mountings, and operate them, whilst the pilot would be taking evasive action. Nothing secured them in tthe aircraft whilst doing this. The modlel represents a presentation aircraft 'Baroda 15' flown by FG Pinder and EA Halford in March 1916, and was Max Immelman's final victory. It was whilst attacking this aircraft that his synchronisation gaer failed and he shot off half his own propeller resulting in his Eindecker shaking itself to pieces, and him losing his life in the susequent crash.

The Kit is Wingnut wings recent release, it is a beautiful example of model engineering and I can honestly say it is without fault, I can not find one thing wrong with the way Wingnuts have designed and produced this, it was a pleasure to build from start to finish.

The only thing I can say is that it becomes harder to work on as it gets built, as it is so big that you have to take care moving it around. I suffered a minor bit of dmage when it slipped partly out of my hand and knocked a wheel & axle clean off, and popped a couple of outboard struts off. All my fault, but repairable with cyano and accelerator. All rigging is done with Maxima Chameleon 2.5lb fishing line pulled through holes in the top wing, and trimmed flush. This is fully functionsl in that it does what the real rigging did, and gives a lot of extra strength to the model.

Fe2b-31.jpg

Fe2b-32.jpg

Fe2b-33.jpg

Fe2b-34.jpg

Fe2b-35.jpg

Fe2b-36.jpg

Fe2b-37.jpg

Fe2b-38.jpg

Some WIP shots;

th_Fe2b3.jpg

Fe2b-9-1.jpg

Fe2b-13-1.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 13

Very nicely done, the base sets it off a treat too.

I think using the smoke coloured line works well with this plane rather than painting the lines silver as due the the sheer volume of wires the silver stands out too much and detracts the eye from the aircraft IMO.

I'm tempted by the CDL version too rather than the night fighters which seem to be the popular choice.

Brilliant! :worthy: Great job on the rigging, I have just started the RNAS Sopwith Pup, my first WNW build and I shall be pleased to do half as good a job as you have done.

Andrew

Thats a beauty.All credit to a job well done. :thumbsup:

John,

Well done, mate - your usual high standard of workmanship on display here.

Best regards

Dave

Awesome!

I enjoyed the build thread for this one too- really nice work.

With the trouble I'm having rigging an Se5a at the moment, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to rig this aircraft!! I guess I need to try out this method of rigging, I've been using EZline, and I don't really get on with it...