A tale of two Ferraris

Progress on both the 458 and 250SWB this weekend:

trial-run-1-L.jpg

trial-run-2-L.jpg

trial-run-3-L.jpg

Once again, this is just taped up and dropped in place. This one DOES fit together painlessly...

bmf-on-1-L.jpg

bmf-on-2-L.jpg

not-a-test-fit-L.jpg

This one does not! I've had one got at fitting the interior in to see how it goes, and it's not going back until final assembly! It doesn't fit, trimmed accordion to the instructions -- or at least it goes in, but getting it out again demolished on half of the front suspension and knocked off a back wheel, so some further adjustments (about 3mm off the far end of the nose frame) have been made. The BMF goes on painlessly, though there's some more cleaning up of the paintwork to do to remove adhesive, and the shut lines need emphasising gently...

Next, glazing. OK for the 250, but I'm not looking forward to doing the black window surrounds on the 458, without ready made masks (you do get spoiled by Tamiya, don't you?!)

bestest,

M.

Thanks, Richy!

I think I'm on the home straight now:

body-on-L.jpg

body-on-4-L.jpg

This was NOT easy. The chassis doesn't fit if cut according to the instructions. I had to shorten it further, and brig the radiator in about 3mm more than instructed. The door windows were a mess. No matte how much I polished them, I couldn't get rid of some "scratches" On closer inspection, I reckon they were actually "tidemarks" where the flowing plastic met, inside the mould. In the end, I cut them off and replace the window with acetate, which is much thinner and clearer. This meant some uncertainty about the door panel fit, but I got them as close as I could to where they would have been with the windows still attached. It still took a bit of fiddling to get them to fit when I closed the body up...

The 458 was a lot easier...

together-at-last-L.jpg

together-top-view-L.jpg

together2-L.jpg

together3-L.jpg

The various modules fit nicely into the body shell, and there are no real gotchas. I replaced the decal over transparent plastic "mesh" with real black mesh instead.

And finally, for tonight:

together-together-2-L.jpg

together-together-L.jpg

Lots of decals for the 250 tomorrow, and bits n bobs for the 458...

bestest,

M.

mirrors-on-1-L.jpg

backend-with-mirrors-L.jpg

front-end-with-mirrors-L.jpg

Details, details... mirrors on, indicators and lights well under way. Next job, which I'm not looking forward to, is the black tinted surround on the windscreen. After that it's just tidying up...

decals-in-progress-L.jpg

decals-in-progress-2-L.jpg

These decals are great. They are really well-printed, with no show-through on the white at all. They take a little while to settle down, but respond well to decal solution.

profile-with-decals-L.jpg

backend-L.jpg

I discovered :blush: that I'd made my flip-up fuel cap out of one of the spotlights on the chromed sprue -- got confused between the SWB and GTO tree. Fortunately, I found another kit to steal a pair from! Lots of lights to do on here as well.

Finishing touches for both of them are the wipers.... can't be far away now!

bestest,

M.

Thanks, guys! Smiffy... you'll just have to wait a leetle longer...

Tthe 458 is now fully assembled and decalled:

built-1-L.jpg

built2-L.jpg

built-4-L.jpg

built-profile-L.jpg

built-front-L.jpg

I'm going to live with the £30 fine for not having an proper front number plate! Now it needs a good clean to get rid of the dust and greasy fingerprints, and then I need to figure out if, and how, I'm going to highlight the panels and shut lines...

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys i'm building the 458 by revell but i'd like to change the wheel set and the tyres. I've thought to put on the fujimi wheelset. Do you think it's possible to order it directly from fujimi?

Edited by OverTorque

Thanks! That's a blast from the past...

Whatever wheels you get, you'll have to figure out how to adapt them to Revell's rather "quirky" parts breakdown and non prototypical mounting for their wheels (I guess by fixing the brakes to the wheel carriers and mounting a spindle for the AM wheels to rotate on). In which case you can use any wheels you like from Hobby Design or ( my favorite) FG Model ( from MediaMix Hobby in Singapore...) Fujimi might sell you some, but you'd have to work sound the language barrier , and it'll take weeks. Easier to buy some AM wheels from an online shop!

Bestest,

M.

Ok, please tell me which one you'd choose between these wheel set:

http://www.car-model-kit.com/117-wheels-rims-tyres/22510-lp700-4-roadster-wheels-for-a-hobby-design/

http://www.car-model-kit.com/117-wheels-rims-tyres/10103-20’bbs-ck-wheels-hobby-design/

I can't decide :) And i'm wondering if the 20" by hobby design is a little bit bigger than the 20" by revell. Is it better going for 21 inch?

Thank you guys!

Edited by OverTorque