Avro Vulcan B1A , Waddington wing 1963

Cockpit area, with crew and FP etch framing which makes a huge difference ,

P1100901.jpg

General, if I may ask, how did you achive such a nice fit of the PE windscreen frame? I bottled adding that to my last Vulcan build! Did you need to treat the metal in any way to get it to conform to the shape? And how did you secure it to the plastic?

Mike

Thanks chaps...sorry I haven't posted much progress recently but been a tad busy with other things, but progress has been made which I'll post soon.

Mike the frame has been lightly warmed up in a low heat booth and then fitted over a spare canopy and just rolled over firmly using a cocktail stick. Eventually the thing takes on the shape of the canopy. It's fitted using Gator glue which dries clear. (the canopy has been polished and dipped twice into Klear.

Don..cheers..shame you can't see 'em once it's all buttoned up.. :doh:

I thought it about time that I posted a few more pics of the old girl ! She's now had 4 coats of white primer and five rub downs.....(ohh er...), so the finish is slowly getting towards the point where I'll be happy with it though the underside is still turning up high and low points that need sorting...You can see the areas clearly in these photos and they'll be dealt with later this week, still no rush. Another couple of coats should see it done then it's onto fitting all those vortex generators.... :hypnotised:

P1130154.jpg

P1130156.jpg

I'm finally happy with the intakes, after much sanding and filling and I've cut the exhausts back as even though they were meant to be B1 100 series pipes they were still far too long !!

P1130155.jpg

P1130158.jpg

More soon chaps, :cheers:

AVM Melchie....

• 2 weeks later...

how the hell! general matey mate metchie dude. please may i ask how and what to do to get my intakes to look like that. i have never figured out how to do all those curves in a small space. it looks lovely like its been cast in cake icing. yum

• 1 month later...

Sorry folks but I just haven't had the time to finish this one by the dead line what with helping Spence with his new magazine and cracking on with the big Bucc for a couple of review articles. This will get finished soon, basically just needs top coat and decals but finding the time is now difficult.

Rob mate, best way to sort the intakes out is to wack some Mr Hobby liquid putty along the joints and wrap a piece of wet and dry around the end of a spare paint brush and work away at it using plenty of water. I then use various grades of Micromesh to finish it off. Takes a while but I've always found the results to be good.

Great finished models in the gallery too,

Cheers all,

Melchie...

• 1 month later...

No worries general mate its gonna look fantastic when its done i think this GB suffered from many people who have had unforseen problems or just stupid busy i know that was my excuse ive gone back to my old jobs now and got more time.

ive just finished 2 dragon vulcans the one you already seen and xl321 in white soon to follow in the ready for inspection.

the sprue shots for the new pit road vulcan looks awsome i put a link up in the cold war chat area its worth a look.

Cant wait to see the b1a finished i always thought it to be the most meanacing looking vulcan with its angular hard edged wings and the 3 pitot tubes looks a bit like the devils trident if you get what i mean. all the best Rob

• 1 year later...

Well this is proving useful for my latest build mate. But could you give me some close ups of the holes you have drilled at normal angles of view to allow me to get the correct positions on 597.

Cheers Rob ;)