Hasegawa F-16C Fighting Falcon

Well, here goes for my main entry into this group build. :D

The 120th Tactical Fighter Squadron CO's bird from the 2001 Tiger Meet of the Americas with it's striking tiger stripes

010812-f-7910d-028copy.jpg

(Image courtesy of the CD companion to the twobobs decals)

I'm planning on using the F-16C 'Aggressors' kit and trying to keep everything in-line using the fantastic reference CD that comes with the decals.

SAM_1168.jpg

Obligatory box and sprue shot

And the extras. :D

I'll be using the eduards FOD covers and zoom photo-etch to help keep the cockpit all nice and tidy. I know this will be a block 30 jet and the etch is for a block 50 but hunting around there aren't any major differences and that don't do a block 30 set. Also, as already mentioned I'm using the Tiger Meets of America set for the decals, will be interested in how these compare to the fightertown decals that I used on my F-14 build but from close inspection I'm already impressed with the level of detail and instructions for what is going to be one very complicated decal session!

SAM_1169.jpg

Edited by DannyB

Managed to get some time together last night to get started on this one. Cockpit and seat construction struck me as very similar to the Hasegawa F-14 so I'm guessing they have a style and don't stray to far from it!

Get everything stuck together and got some paint down, firstly started by brush painting the seat then blew it over with some grey to try and add a bit of depth to the sides of the cushion before really starting. I've got the proper MrColor paints in for this one and all I have to say is 'Wow' these airbrush really well and combined with the MrColor thinner I can't wait til I doing more with them!

SAM_1173.jpg

Before any real painting and the photo-etch extras

SAM_1175.jpg

Seat painting down and extras added, the zoom set is really nice and definitely adds something to the kit parts I could never paint but by the end of it my eyes were popping out! God only knows how people manage this at 1/72!!

SAM_1180.jpg

SAM_1181.jpg

Final wash added, really happy with the result on this, I know it's not perfect but think a combination of the photo-etch and the wash has really added some extra depth to the kit part. Next up the rest of the cockpit! :nerd:

Cheers Mish :)

Managed to get some more time in on the cockpit this weekend.

First up the masking

SAM_1188.jpg

Next, a fine layer of gloss black, I know it's normally matt black for these areas but I'm planning on using some washes to dull it down. Also, got the console fitted with all it's extras in place. Was really impressed with the quality of the eduard zoom :thumbsup:

SAM_1189.jpg

Then the washes. I used a heavily thinned white wash around the console to pick up the panel lines followed up by a black promodeller wash to the tub to add some depth.

SAM_1192.jpg

SAM_1191.jpg

Finally, getting the chair in and adding the last of the extras :D

SAM_1193.jpg

SAM_1194.jpg

Don't worry the foot pedals have been added since I took the pictures ad realised I'd forgotten it! Now just a coat of Klear and it's all done.

Really enjoying this build, next on the the main fuselage so lets see if that continues!

Looking good, that Zoom has added quite nicely to the pit.

I found getting the intake assembly fitted before glueing the fuse halves was easier to achieve a good, filler-less fit, as the lower half can 'flex' while you put the intake into its position.

Oh yeah, dry fit is your friend!

Edited by Parabat

Cheers guys, I'm really pleased with it for my 3rd ever cockpit!

Looking good, that Zoom has added quite nicely to the pit.

I found getting the intake assembly fitted before glueing the fuse halves was easier to achieve a good, filler-less fit, as the lower half can 'flex' while you put the intake into its position.

Oh yeah, dry fit is your friend!

Funnily enough I was thinking that last night when I was looking at the instructions. Don't fancy glueing the 2 halves together with the cockpit and seat in place then having to do all the work underneath. I'm trying to stick to the instruction order with this one as I don't want to miss anything but think I need to deviate from that now. First up will be the main wheel well then the intake. Thankfully I've got F.O.D. covers for this one so don't need to worry too much about it. :speak_cool:

Might of hit a bit a snag with this one :wall:

Spent last night cleaning up peices for the underneath, wheel-bays, under-carriage and intakes, getting ready for the next bit of construction. When I thought I would check out how well the eduards F.O.D. cover fits and how much work will be covered up with it fit.

Well it doesn't fit at all! The photo-etch is wider but shorter than the intake opening. So this has left me stuck wandering if I've even got the right kit to make the F16C block 30 that this is suppose to be. :wall:

So if any one has an thoughts it'll be a massive help!!

My options at the moment are;

1. Either I crack on ignoring the eduard F.O.D. covers and make my own from plasti-card
  2. Try and get hold of a correct intake to fit the hasegawa 1/48 kit
  3. Or, change plan and go for one of the Aggressors out of the box

argh!! :banghead:

Hi Danny

If I read you right it sounds like your kit may be a Block 32 (small-mouth intake) despite what it says on the box?

If there's a GE-110 engine in the box and noted in the instructions, the inlet should be the 'big mouth' variant, as, i think i'm right in saying, the small mouth intakes are found on the the jets which have a P&W engine fitted. (i'm no expert though!!)

You could try this. It represents the canvas cover that goes over the intake as opposed to in it. Very common for USAF F-16's.

Those decals are very rare indeed!

Dave

That kit (09616) is for a small mouth F-16C block 30/32. It includes both types of exhaust, but only the small mouth intake.

The big mouth intake is on sprue T, but is not included.

Personally I'd use the correct exhaust and make my own intake cover to represent one of the canvas types commonly seen on F-16's.

Cheers guys :)

Had a funny feeling that this was gonna be the case.

Are the bits need for the GE engine these bits?

SAM_1197.jpg

If so does anyone have the instructions of how they go together?! lol. The instructions just reference them as parts not used.

Would this give me the right intake? CMK Resin F-16 Intake : Hannats.co.uk. If it would I am more inclined to get it as I also noticed this little beauty last night when I tidying up the parts!

SAM_1198.jpg

SAM_1199.jpg

A nice great mould crease in the middle of the intake!

Lol I will make the jet I want to whether hasegawa lets me or not :lol:

Danny check Wellzy's build - he was trying to build an F-16N Aggressor and that had the GE engine (of a Block 30) and the small intake (of a Block 32). So a GE engine/small intake may be the right combination

Some very early Block 30s did have the NSI (mall intake) combined with the GE engine, as did the Ns. I think it was about 100 85 / 86 FY aircraft before the transition to MCID was made. F-16.net has some very good details on this area. They did not perform as well as expected because the engine required more air-hence the "Big Mouth" / MCID. Hasegawa's first GE release was representative of these jets, only in 2000 did they finally release an MCID jet. Sometimes the special editions have both intakes, sometimes they don't. The Sufa I have just received has both intakes and that is a PW powered aircraft. If you are stuck, give me a shout and you can have the parts from that.

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

Cheers for the link Dave, that's spot on! :thumbsup:

I can start getting the engine together while I figure out what I'm gonna do about the intake.

Thanks for the offer Joel, if I can't find any better options I might well take you up on that. funnily enough I'm watching another kit on ebay that uses the small mouth intake but does include both so I'm gonna see if I can get that for a bit of steal and then it's just excuse to build another F-16 ;)

Managed to solve the intake problem :D

Won another Hasegawa F-16C kit on the 'bay tonight which after checking the instructions online has both sets of intakes included but uses the small intake so I can rob it from there and still build that one too, so I'll be updating that bit of this build when it turns up.

Decided to get on with the problem of the hasegawa canopies, and thanks to a heads up for this months airfix magazine it hasn't come out at all bad.

Started here

SAM_1200.jpg

Some fine sanding after removing the seem with the edge of a sharp scalpel blade

SAM_1202.jpg

After a couple more stages of buffing

SAM_1203.jpg

And, finished after a rubbing down with compound polish on the end of a cotton bud

SAM_1205.jpg

I've just done the back piece and that took about 5 minutes from start to finish. Will say the thing that has help the most has been the 6-way nail file and buffer that I picked up from Boots. It's really easy to use and even has the different stages numbered! I didn't bother using the first stage as that is really course but from stage 2 through to 6 it really works wonders. All it need to finish of was a quick buff with some compound polish. Next up, masking it!

I've just done the back piece and that took about 5 minutes from start to finish. Will say the thing that has help the most has been the 6-way nail file and buffer that I picked up from Boots. It's really easy to use and even has the different stages numbered! I didn't bother using the first stage as that is really course but from stage 2 through to 6 it really works wonders. All it need to finish of was a quick buff with some compound polish. Next up, masking it!

What is this mystical tool to which you speak? Where in boots does one find this?

Great build by the way and I like your problem solving skills of just getting another kit :D

Simon

What is this mystical tool to which you speak? Where in boots does one find this?

Great build by the way and I like your problem solving skills of just getting another kit :D

Simon

No problem, I found it by the nail varnish bits though I can't claim all the credit my other half suggested picking one up as I'm always stealing hers :lol . You can see it on the edge of the 3rd picture and it was about £2.50. I will admit it's not an absolute perfect finish and no doubt if you had the problem micromesh clothes you'd get a better result but for something that is a couple of quid and available on the high street I was really happy with the results. :D

Haha it's not so much problem solving more an excuse to get another kit! ;)