Correcting the Hobbycraft 1/72 CF 105 Arrow

John R

In the pics on Facebook it doesn't look like a completely new mould, but rather like certain parts have been upgraded or modified, e.g. the tailpipes. From the pics it looks like the fit of the parts, or lack of the same, is very similar to what I remember from when I had a go at this kit several years ago.

Sten,

Unfortuantely when Hobbycraft says "new tool" it is more of a retool. However, if you have the 1/48 one and see the parts layout and detail are the same. It is a scaled down version of it (HC1659) which was a retool of HC1651/1658. The 1/48 Arrow was never a scaled up 1/72 scale HC1392 so in this case the 1/72 scale is a new tool which is really a retooled 1/48 HC1651/1658. I hope this isn't too confusing but you'll notice that the main wing dog tooth, air intakes, fuselage and nose gear on the kit will be more correct than HC1392. The new additions are the cockpit, airbrakes and nose wheel well. The kit will make a more better Arrow with less effort than the Auroria-sh HC1392. Modellers in the Toronto Canada area already have the new HC1393 so an indepth review should be coming soon.

John. Last word, you are right, taking a straight edge to several sets of plans, the radome is conical.

The Mk.1's are or were conical and the Mk.2's RL-206 are ogival. Hope this will help you on which Mark you will make. Also, two types of exhaust cones were used; the early type and a later more larger and longer type used as a test for the Iroquois equipped Mark 2's to verify ground clearance during rotate on takeoff and flare during landing. TAM's replica is with the later type.

Edited by aerofan

This review might be of use in determining how much of a retool/new tool this kit is. I know I'll be on the look out for one, the Arrow is one of those tradgedies of political pragmatism overcoming the quest for excellence & as such even though I'm not really a jets type I sure want one, I've kept an eye out for the older kits & this newer one sounds much better, better enough for me anyhow. ^_^

Steve.

As I have suspected it is a scaled down 1/48 HC1659. Not perfect but much much better than that Aurora-ish HC1392. HC1393 is still a bit pricey for something that is subpar in quality with Italeri, Monogram and Airfix and well below that of the Korean, Japanese and the better Chinese manufacturers.

HC1393 is still a bit pricey for something that is subpar in quality with Italeri, Monogram and Airfix and well below that of the Korean, Japanese and the better Chinese manufacturers.

I've got to agree but then again, if you want a 1/72 CF 105, have you got a better idea. :unsure: I'm not trying to be niggly but afaik its the only game in town barring the older kits off ebay or similar & they sure aren't going cheap. Even if this new kit forces the older ones prices down, I sure don't want one of the older ones with a new kit available.

Steve.

What I'd like to know is where can I get this new tool edition of the Arrow???? My one is the 2nd edition that I picked up in a hobby shop in Ottawa in 2006, so am quite keen to try this 'new tool' kit.

The only place I could find on the net was here, but when I saw what they wanted for an international shipment, scroll to the bottom of the page, I figured they really didn't want to be bothered. I'm sure it will appear in Hannants or Sprue Brothers or similar before to long.

Steve.

I've just had a look at the build on ARC and it looks like the new one has problems too.

Something to add to the list of aults on the original tooling is the shape of the intakes and the bottom of the fuselage. They need to be more rounded on the bottom. It's a bit early to tell but the new kit may have these faults as well.

John

The only place I could find on the net was here, but when I saw what they wanted for an international shipment, scroll to the bottom of the page, I figured they really didn't want to be bothered. I'm sure it will appear in Hannants or Sprue Brothers or similar before to long.

Steve.

CRIKEY!!! :gobsmacked: For one kit and the postage that comes to a bit over £60.00!!!! You could buy a Hasegawa kit for less! (just about!)

I've got to agree but then again, if you want a 1/72 CF 105, have you got a better idea. :unsure: I'm not trying to be niggly but afaik its the only game in town barring the older kits off ebay or similar & they sure aren't going cheap. Even if this new kit forces the older ones prices down, I sure don't want one of the older ones with a new kit available.

Steve.

I'm not harping against the kit but with what Hobbycraft and their middlemen are gouging for it. Most people have been ripped off by them on their HC1392 as well as other kits, the 1/48 retooled Arrow, for prices that would make one rather buy a Hasegawa kit. This was the reason for them going bankrupt about two years ago. If they had their prices more in line with Revell / Monogram, they'd be in a better position in the industry - less criticism because the price would be fair for the level of quality provided. For a more accurate 1/72 Arrow one still has to look at the vacs made by Astra and VP.

CRIKEY!!! :gobsmacked: For one kit and the postage that comes to a bit over £60.00!!!! You could buy a Hasegawa kit for less! (just about!)

My gob was also smacked, and for me it's a domestic shipment. The shipping charges were nearly the same as the price of the model. Arghhhh....

Someone mentioned a build-up of the "new tool" 1:72 CF-105 on ARC - can you provide a link? Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

• 1 month later...

I just bought the "new tool" kit from Aviation World in Canada:

Linky

The kit was $29 Canadian dollars, with another $10 shipping to USA. Not sure what shipping to the UK would be, but maybe better than what was quoted from Military Hobbies. Even though this kit is basically a scaled-down version of their 1:48 kit, it corrects many errors that are extremely difficult to fix otherwise. The review linked in post #29 includes a quick build, along with comparisons of the pieces to drawings. Looks like it's worth a shot to me! Oh Canada...!

Cheers,

Bill

Received the new 1:72 CF-105 kit. Since I also have the older, first version I can confirm that the new kit is completely different tooling. Every part is different, as is the sprue layout. The general breakdown of the parts is similar (i.e. how they go together) but this is definitely not a re-box with a couple of errors fixed.

That said, the quality of the mouldings is no better, and details are not up to current industry standards. But I think it will build up into a nice replica with a bit of extra work. Now that this has hit the streets I expect the aftermarket will soon be offering resin enhancements, PE sets, etc.

Cheers,

Bill

• 4 years later...