1/72 Italeri Fiat CR.42

Hi all,

Having moved on from my spitfire paint disaster, I'm starting a new project, an Italeri Fiat CR.42 in 1/72 scale. This will be finished as a Sicily-based night fighter because they are just so damn sexy in overall black (it has absolutely nothing to do with the complexity of Italian camouflage, honest.....)

Here's the prototype I've chosen which displays a few interesting features in the paint finish (the partially over-painted white fuselage band for example). I don't have appropriate decals so I will mask and paint the 'night owl' symbol on the fuselage sides.

http://members.tripod.com/Roberto_Lionello/nino/cr42_02.jpg

The Italeri kit looks absolutely excellent. Very fine detail, and sensible parts breakdown. I toyed with the idea of buying Eduard etch for the cockpit, but in the end I decided that the out of box cockpit would be perfectly acceptable. I have no doubt that you could build a stunner from this kit though!

Sprues:

P1010398.jpg

P1010397.jpg

P1010396.jpg

P1010394.jpg

Painting cockpit parts:

P1010402.jpg

P1010403.jpg

Assembled and decaled cockpit parts:

P1010405.jpg

Next up- closing the fueslage halves and building the basic airframe.

Will

Good luck with it Will - are you going to be rigging her?

You're right about the black finish - very saucy. So that's you with an Italian night fighter, Gaz with a German night fighter... better crack on with my Hurricane IIb or you'll be running riot after sundown!

She'll be rigged with stretched sprue. There isn't much rigging on this aircraft- the struts are pretty meaty.

Here she is looking like a cartoon drawing of an aircraft! Didn't realise just how unequal the span of this biplane was!

P1010407.jpg

Fit has been superlative. Can't fault this model so far!

Will

That cockpit looks very impressive - even more so, I'm guessing, when glimpsed through the open cockpit. :Tasty:

Cliff

Absolutely, and given the size of the opening I think much more time spent detailing would be wasted. The Eduard 'zoom' set does look excellent though, including the metal fuselage framing. You'd need a penlight to see it though!

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Righto- airframe more or less complete now.

Considering that this model will have a monotone finish, I decided to assemble as much as possible before painting. Maybe the decision will come back to bite me later, but I do at least know that I cannot, (no matter how hard I try) ruin a painted and decalled wing part by smudging glue on it during those last minutes of final assembly!

P1010420.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010423.jpg

P1010422.jpg

Again, can't fault Italeri on this one- the struts look complicated but they fit like a dream. I simply glued the struts to the upper wing at the approximate angles, waited until the glue had almost gone off and then 'sprang' the struts in to their locations on the lower wing/fuselage. No jig used or indeed necessary.

Next up- engine. Really looking forward to that part because the detail on the plastic looks excellent.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, there are signs of it been painted...

P1010430.jpg

and a cruel close up

P1010434.jpg

Some more work to be done on the paint scheme, but I'm fairly happy that I've captured the rough and ready 'distemper' look displayed by the airframe in my references.

By the way, I forgot to take photos of the engine, but I can report that is was probably the finest 1/72 scale plastic radial engine I've constructed- The detail is superb, and the fit of the exhausts on to the engine manifolds was excellent. I wanted to display the cowling open, but I didn't want to spoil the line of the aircraft.

regds,

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Rob, there are signs of it been painted...

P1010430.jpg

and a cruel close up

P1010434.jpg

Some more work to be done on the paint scheme, but I'm fairly happy that I've captured the rough and ready 'distemper' look displayed by the airframe in my references.

By the way, I forgot to take photos of the engine, but I can report that is was probably the finest 1/72 scale plastic radial engine I've constructed- The detail is superb, and the fit of the exhausts on to the engine manifolds was excellent. I wanted to display the cowling open, but I didn't want to spoil the line of the aircraft.

regds,

Will

very nice - you should've opened a panel on the engine to show it off....

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's very nearly finished. I struggled with the overall black- had a few goes at breaking it up with some greys. I also overpainted the wing roundels which are still there as a ghost under the paint. In the 'plastic' it looks quite interesting, but the overall effect is almost impossible to photograph on a phone camera on an overcast British summer day!

P1010447.jpg

P1010445.jpg

Only the canopy and some rigging to go now.

Will