Mirage III/5 questions

I'll soon be building a Spanish Mirage IIIE circa 1970-71 and a Belgian Mirage 5 circa 1972, using a pair of Heller kits. The problem for me is that Heller have been a bit boring and only provided a pair of large drop tanks as the only ordnance. I've managed to find a pair of JL-100 rocket pods/fuel tanks and a Matra R.11 and I think I have some type 115 rocket pods left over from an old Airfix Harrier GR3.

So I want to know what loadouts I can do, unless I'm mistaken the Mirage III/5 has 5 hardpoints, 2 under each wing and one on the centreline. I think the inner wing pylons would be for the fuel tanks or JL-100's. Please can anyone give me some ideas! Also I might have some British and US bombs spare if either the Belgian and Spanish air forces used them.

thanks

Mike

If you can get hold of a Revell Mirage III kit (French & Swiss decals), it comes with loads of ordnance - tanks (inner wings), 10 x bombs (centreline (2) and inner wing (4 each side on aerodynamic carriers), sidewinders for the outer wing. PM me if you want one.

If you can get hold of a Revell Mirage III kit (French & Swiss decals), it comes with loads of ordnance - tanks (inner wings), 10 x bombs (centreline (2) and inner wing (4 each side on aerodynamic carriers), sidewinders for the outer wing. PM me if you want one.

Is that in 1/72? Modern kit, engraved panel lines?

thanks

Mike

Is that in 1/72? Modern kit, engraved panel lines?

thanks

Mike

It is rather old actually. It was basically a smaller version of the 1/32 kit that Revell did about 40 years ago. Both kits feature a removable engine. I seem to remember with the 32nd scale kit that if you left the engine in the aircraft, you could get by without any nose weight. Not sure on the 72nd scale kit, but it would probably be the same.

Later,

Dave

I'll soon be building a Spanish Mirage IIIE circa 1970-71 and a Belgian Mirage 5 circa 1972, using a pair of Heller kits. The problem for me is that Heller have been a bit boring and only provided a pair of large drop tanks as the only ordnance. I've managed to find a pair of JL-100 rocket pods/fuel tanks and a Matra R.11 and I think I have some type 115 rocket pods left over from an old Airfix Harrier GR3.

So I want to know what loadouts I can do, unless I'm mistaken the Mirage III/5 has 5 hardpoints, 2 under each wing and one on the centreline. I think the inner wing pylons would be for the fuel tanks or JL-100's. Please can anyone give me some ideas! Also I might have some British and US bombs spare if either the Belgian and Spanish air forces used them.

thanks

Mike

Any further thoughs from Mirage experts? Would the Spanish and Belgian air forces used the JL-100 and Matra 115 rocket pods?

thanks

Mike

The only pics I have found in a quick search are as follows and I cannot vouch for the dates

Spanish - clean - no pylons

Spanish - inner pylons - slim tanks. outer pylons - port practice AIM-9P, stbrd empty. centre pylon not fitted

Spanish - inner pylons - slim tanks. outer pylons - empty. centre pylon empty.

Spanish - inner pylons - slim RPK tanks with bomb carriers (no bombs). outer pylons - small F2 rocket pods. centre pylon empty.

Spanish - inner pylons - slim tanks. outer pylons - small F2 rocket pods. centre pylon can't be seen due to angle of photo.

Belgian - clean - no pylons

Belgian - - inner pylons - large tanks. outer pylons and centre pylon not fitted

David

Edited by David Womby

The only pics I have found in a quick search are as follows and I cannot vouch for the dates

Spanish - clean - no pylons

Spanish - inner pylons - slim tanks. outer pylons - port practice AIM-9P, stbrd empty. centre pylon not fitted

Spanish - inner pylons - slim tanks. outer pylons - empty. centre pylon empty.

Spanish - inner pylons - slim RPK tanks with bomb carriers (no bombs). outer pylons - small F2 rocket pods. centre pylon empty.

Spanish - inner pylons - slim tanks. outer pylons - small F2 rocket pods. centre pylon can't be seen due to angle of photo.

Belgian - clean - no pylons

Belgian - - inner pylons - large tanks. outer pylons and centre pylon not fitted

David

Thanks David

I can't find any pics of Belgian Mirage 5's with anything other than the large drop tanks. I find that strange, given that it's a ground attack variant. I was expecting to find a few pics of one armed with bombs/rockets. For the Spanich IIIE, I'm sure I could rustle up a pair of early Sidewinders. Sadly the small rocket pods I have are the Matra 155's.

thanks

Mike