Only the Valiant

JohnT

In the early hours of 11 September 1959 I would have blissfully asleep as a young primary school child unaware that 6 gallant young men of 214 Squadron RAF had died when their Valiant aircraft XD869 had crashed in thick fog shortly after take off from RAF Marham on a Lone Ranger flight to Nairobi. I will be building a model of their aircraft in tribute to Flight Lieutenant Watkins, Flight Lieutenant Hyslop, Flying Officer Wormall, Flight Lieutenant Howard, Flying Officer Candy and Chief Technician Sewell who perished on that night.

Extracted from the stash is the standard Airfix offering and I am waiting on the resin upgrades from Ali at Alleycat resin as I thought I'd try and do something a little more special on this one rather than just OOB. Decals come from the Kits at War and Airdecal sheets. I have still to determine whether XD869 was still in the standard roundel or had already been re-painted in the anti flash colours. I have the Warpaint on the Valiant so a read should tell me when the colour markings changed.

I'll post pics as I get started

The other Valiant in the stash will be the first V Bomber to go to war and drop bombs in anger - Valiant B (K) Mk1 XD814 of 148 Squadron in all aluminium finish Luqa October 1956 - attack on Almaza airfield (Cairo) suez Crisis

If I get the time there are 2 Vulcans and 3 Victors sitting with conversion sets - from what I have read I think the Victors can wait till last though they are my favourite shape when it comes to the V Force.

Best of luck JohnT, a very commendable tribute. Knew Tommy Watkins at Honnington, first class gentleman. Will follow this build with interest.

John (exbrat)

I am nearly at a completion stage on my Valiant, I used the Alley Cat resin intakes, although they are good you still need a bit of sanding and filling and in the end I could of just done the same sanding and filling on the original intakes

Hi JohnT,

Love the elegance of the Valiant. You come late builders have it easy now !!

My 4 were from Contrail (2) and Mach2 (2) ...... don't have the energy to do

any more !! (or storage space)

'V'

Best of luck JohnT, a very commendable tribute. Knew Tommy Watkins at Honnington, first class gentleman. Will follow this build with interest.

John (exbrat)

Thanks John

its odd how I came across this. I fancied taking part in this my first group build when it was announced a while back. I got the chance to buy a Bloodhound missile set cheap and thought it might look good next to a V Bomber. Some research and help from the guys on here told me that the only Squadron that served on an airfield with Bloodhounds present was 214 (Federated Malay States). I trawled around the net looking for information and came across the reports of this accident and felt that one day I should make a gesture in their direction. Guys like them let six year olds like me sleep safe in their beds. I just hope I do it justice

Hi JohnT,

My 4 were from Contrail (2) and Mach2 (2) ...... don't have the energy to do

any more !! (or storage space)

'V'

Did the therapy afterwards cost much? :D

I am nearly at a completion stage on my Valiant, I used the Alley Cat resin intakes, although they are good you still need a bit of sanding and filling and in the end I could of just done the same sanding and filling on the original intakes

Hmnn thats encouraging ! I'll let you know how I get on !!

Therapy ...... John it was worse than that. It stopped me modelling aircraft for over 2 years.

This GB is part of my rehabilitation.

'V'

Well the update is that all the resin bits have arrived from Alleycat so I have a bit of reading there to do. Also Freightdog Model decal sheet with the serials for 2 Valiants - a good idea and why don't we see more sets like that? And I am having a read at the Warpaint publication on the valiant along with Barry Jones book on the V Bombers. I hope to start cutting plastic this coming week. SWMBO and son and heir have other plans for my time this weekend !

A few things I need to check out such as what's the best manufacturer for anti flash white paint and while on that subject the same question for the aluminium painted machine? Is that the famous "high speed silver"?

Well the update is that all the resin bits have arrived from Alleycat so I have a bit of reading there to do. Also Freightdog Model decal sheet with the serials for 2 Valiants - a good idea and why don't we see more sets like that? And I am having a read at the Warpaint publication on the valiant along with Barry Jones book on the V Bombers. I hope to start cutting plastic this coming week. SWMBO and son and heir have other plans for my time this weekend !

A few things I need to check out such as what's the best manufacturer for anti flash white paint and while on that subject the same question for the aluminium painted machine? Is that the famous "high speed silver"?

I am just using gloss Tamiya white for mine, I have already sprayed it with tamiyas white primer and rub this coat down using micro mesh clothes, with the decals I have found that Airdecal (ADTS7222 Anti Flash Valiants) do a good decal sheet of the White Valiant and covers 8 aircraft XD875 XD818 WP213 WZ380 XD827 XD820 XD816 WZ401

http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/ADTS7222-Ant...Vickers-Valiant

Edited by kev67

revell aqua and citadels are the most impressive metalic acyrilics ive used to dat, and there is alway aclad 2, i use hu22 rattle can for my vulcans etc

I wish I could remember which Halfords car paint I used last time !?

It stays white and being so hard when fully set you can 'T' cut to improve

any roughness in the finish. As I always spray outdoors in the back garden

it's easy to err..... shall we say need to tidy up !!

'V'

Thanks John

its odd how I came across this. I fancied taking part in this my first group build when it was announced a while back. I got the chance to buy a Bloodhound missile set cheap and thought it might look good next to a V Bomber. Some research and help from the guys on here told me that the only Squadron that served on an airfield with Bloodhounds present was 214 (Federated Malay States). I trawled around the net looking for information and came across the reports of this accident and felt that one day I should make a gesture in their direction. Guys like them let six year olds like me sleep safe in their beds. I just hope I do it justice

This is not exactly true as Marham was home to 3 other Sqns. when the 242 Bloodhound Sqn was in existence. 49 - 207 - 138. The Bloodhound Mk 1 was superceded by the Mk 2 and the Mk2's were sited at West Raynham. Some misguided airmen thought that the Bloodhounds at Marham were for Marham's exclusive use. This was NOT so. They were there to defend the Thor Missile Base at Feltwell.

This is not exactly true as Marham was home to 3 other Sqns. when the 242 Bloodhound Sqn was in existence. 49 - 207 - 138. The Bloodhound Mk 1 was superceded by the Mk 2 and the Mk2's were sited at West Raynham. Some misguided airmen thought that the Bloodhounds at Marham were for Marham's exclusive use. This was NOT so. They were there to defend the Thor Missile Base at Feltwell.

Thanks for that info - opens up options but methinks I'll stick with my particular aircraft. Always something new to learn with this hobby, great. Not cut any plastic yet as the dreaded lurgi is sweeping the house and I am off to bed feeling poorly as the last to get hit. I have a day off work planned for Monday so intend a serious modelling day and will post some pics of my efforts poor though they will be

will post some pics of my efforts poor though they will be

Remember the standard only needs to be one that you're happy with

You're not trying to impress General Melchet.

I may do something in our 'chat' section regarding modelling standards

as sometimes I'm concerned that trying to reach unrealistic levels for

our individual skills can be very negative.

'V'

True, I recall seeing a photo of a Valiant being towed at Marham with a battery of Bloodhound mk 1's in the background, as mentioned they were more for the benefit of Feltwell....

In fact here it is,

P1120999-001.jpg

Other sites that were equipped with them included,

RAF Wattisham

RAF Wyton

RAF North Coates

RAF West Raynham

RAF Warboys

RAF Butterworth, Malaysia

RAF North Luffenham:

RAF Newton (training unit)

RAF Woodhall Spa:

RAF Dunholme Lodge:

RAF Lindholme:

RAF Donna Nook (secondary)

RAF Carnaby:

RAF Watton:

RAF Kuching, Malaysia:

RAF Seletar, Singapore: (also location of Singaporean battery?)

RAF Episkopi, Cyprus:

RAF Bruggen, Germany:

RAF Wildenarth, Germany:

Blimey, don't try and impress me ................I have enough trouble impressing the memsahib with my ironing and culinary skills, (or distinct lack of :o !!),

Making a start this am

Had a few thoughts on the panel lines

copied here from another post this am

any thoughts/comments most appreciated

"I was looking at the model and the panel lines. Anyone think Airfix have them too pronounced? I had a look at some close up photos of museum aircraft and others on the web. The surface finish appears to be pretty tight for paneling, showing a smooth surface with little evidence of panel lines being overly visible. They are there but the panels are pretty close together and tight fitting. Take that down to 1/72 and - I suspect that if I could touch the real thing then I'd struggle to squeeze my finger nail between the panels so reduce that to 1/72 and what do you get - a hairline crack? That's one to mull over the coffee with later today. (Why does the Matchbox Victor now pop into my mind?!)"

Blimey, don't try and impress me ................I have enough trouble impressing the memsahib with my ironing and culinary skills, (or distinct lack of :o !!),

If I get this finished I will be well chuffed - thanks for the pic and the info. Much appreciated. I had a wee diorama lurking in the back of my mind. I know the Airfix Bloodhound is pretty basic and inaccurate but... thinking on!