ABS: Another Bloody Spitfire. Vc Trop, UF-S, BR301.

Concurrently with the PR Spitfire, I thought I might knock over my recently-acquired Sword Vc Trop. Beurling's aircraft is one of the kit options. (sorry URL doesn't work for the rotated image, please tilt your head to one side).

mje6k.jpg

I built the Xtrakit XII last year, it was made by Sword. The family resemblance is clear. This is a good sign.

1YwKo.jpg

Bugger! The Sword kit is a gem, assembled carefully, the parts fit with great precision:

RmRx9.jpg

... assembled late at night, by a half-drunk idiot who should have been in bed hours ago, with dodgy-slippy clothes-peg clamps though:

O9tXw.jpg

Even filling and re-scribing won't properly fix this, but the model still looks good from above. I'm toying with the idea of trying to cut the upper wing off so I can do this again.

Solution: freeze model, cut apart with a flat razor, try again. The misalignment of the lower wing is a problem, having secured the port upper wing it's all fixed in place, so this will do me for now. Note this has also affected the Vokes filter location.

I would suggest attaching all the wings at one time, so they can be 'adjusted' before the cement hardens. The Vokes filter means there is no positive location for the front of the lower wing, and my problems started by securing the lower wing by gluing at the back only. Another answer might be to secure the Vokes filter, using the lower wing as a guide only, and gluing it later.

It's ironic that the fit of this kit is so good that it is quite unforgiving of my habitual sloppiness.

KwQW2.jpg

Thanks guys. Really frustrated with myself as this kit deserves better. At least the gaps should look okay after some more work.

I have neglected to add these pics:

KTGmE.jpg

lIfaT.jpg

Edited by Peter Lloyd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Too late! I managed to get UF-S finished five hours after deadline.... the time advantage of being in Australia was to no avail... but please enjoy. I liked the Sword kit so much I bought another right away, even though in the last year I've done more than enough Spitfires.

U7YqK.jpg

urhm4.jpg

TSUDw.jpg

Edited by Peter Lloyd