Hasegawa F-16N Top Gun

A late entry, I'd like to submit my Hasegawa F-16N for this GB. Going to add Superscale decals and a Master brass pitot and possibly a resin seat.

This is the subject, a Block 30 F-16N #163274 of VF-43 'Challengers' flown by Cdr Thor Jensen.

acx.jpg

(Pic from f-16.net 'F-16 Database')

The kit and decals

DSC00883.JPG

DSC00884.JPG

Thanks go to Neilscrim for the rear canopy parts.

Edited by Parabat

Funnily enough I found plenty like that when I was doing the research on my F-14 build. Really tempted one day to do a part dismantled jet from the bone yard, lol once of course my scratch building has got a lot better!

Got a bit done today (this goes together one heck of a lot quicker than a Tomcat!)

Cockpit semi-done, wings filled and stuck together, intake semi sorted out (more sanding of filler needed), gear bays in and painted, tail together, canopy mould line removed and polished.

DSC00894.JPG

And, regarding the camo scheme, I'm chuffed to bits I've found a colour match for Gunze Sangyo 324.... RLM02!

Getting more done this morning, managed to level out the intake seams and get the intake sprayed (annoyingly got overspray EVERYWHERE -thankfully it's white not yellow!). Cockpit coming on strong (printed out an A4 pic of the cockpit to get it right!).

Got my Quickboost seat today, lovely detail, but...

As it's a copy of the Aires seat with the belts added, there are no guide rails for the seat! (The Aires seat goes in conjunction with the Aires pit)

Kit seat with guide rails and QB seat on right, sans rails.

DSC00901.JPG

So, a quick trip to the LHS and some 1.5mm Evergreen 'channel' styrene later we have this;

DSC00902.JPG

Also added a strip of styrene to the rear of the cockpit to avoid a 'step' once the two fuse halves are stuck together. Added some styrene detail to pad out the void between seat and canopy actuator housing.

DSC00900.JPG

Vainly, I also added a compressor fan to the otherwise bare face of the intake. I made it from the exhaust fan of a 1/48 Hobbyboss Mirage IIICZ, and cut off the nose of a Matra 530 E from the same kit to make the centre body fairing. It won't pass muster by the IPMS, but I like it!

DSC00903.JPG

DSC00904.JPG

Edited by Parabat

Looking good so far mate!

The detail in that seat is cracking, really tempted by some resin extras for my next F-16 but torn between getting the complete aires pit or using the eduard zoom etch :wacko:

Hmmm, not sure how match you do or don't like pe... I know for the money I'd go for the resin pit tbh. Rather work with resin than fiddly etch zoom. But that's just me!

Seat is done... Really impressed with the detail, my paintwork isn't up to the level of detail Quickboost provide!

DSC00915.JPG

Wings needed quite a bit of filler unfortunately. Don't know if it would have been better going down the 'glue the wing half to the fuselage half, then stick thefuselage/wings together' route. Anyway, some sanding awaits once this lot has dried.

DSC00914.JPG

Bought a roll of blue poster paper at the Range, so trying out the new 'photo studio' effects, quite happy with it, better than the grotty table!

More work today. Cleaned up the filler, added the ventral fins and finished the 'pit.

DSC00947.JPG

(yup, I missed the ejector pin mark in the front gear bay <_< )

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

Just need to do a final polish of the canopy before masking and fitting prior to priming.

Edited by Parabat

The hinge of the main canopy broke, luckily I was able to glue it on with some PVA. I've stuck the nose on, masked up the canopy and stuck the rear canopy to the front (this is going to be a top-down display).

Primered up and just waiting for the canopy to dry so I can stick it on and start pre-shading!

• 2 weeks later...

Been slowly working on this, sorting out paint has been a bit of a drama, as some of the converted Humbrol didn't look right. I've used the prescribed mix of 50/50 140 + 167 for the slightly browny grey, 167 and a dash of 230 for the bluer grey and Xtracolour RLM 02 for the pale browny/green grey.

It all needs tidying up as the freehand demarcation is way too out-scale.

DSC00977.JPG

Nearly completed the painting of this Viper. I've had to paint the nose radome a darker grey (125 instead of the recommended 126) as the reference pics clearly had a darker radome than the callout.I'm still not 100% satisfied, but it's turning out well.

Been painting up the niff naff and trivia bits too, like the ACMI pod and the drill AIM-9L body with seeker head.