I-16 On Leningrad Front, December 1941
Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:29 PM
This first shot managed to come out with a distinctly wintery air....
The A-Model is one of those instances where there is a good model there in the kit's parts, trying hard to get out. It is a limited run kit, and not, repeat not, for beginners. But with care you can get a quite nice model out of it. I was surprised by how well things fit, once all flash and unevenness in mating surfaces had been cleared away. Repeated test fitting and work on mating surfaces will pay off, especially with the wing pieces. The only bad seam was the upper surface wing joints with the fuselage; gaps were at least a quarter millimeter. The clear parts in this kit are ghastly; thick and damned near opaque. I worked the wind-screen thin with knife, and various grits of sand-paper, mostly on the inside, and finished with baking soda on twists of wet paper towel, and two or three Future dips. I made my landing gear from scratch: those in the kit are moulded to gear doors, which were absent in the subject of the model. But scratching the landing gear for this is probably a good idea anyway, as the doors are awfully thick. The cockpit arrangements are not too bad, though, and can be made to work without much trouble. The rocket rails are scratch-built.
Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:29 PM
The Polikarpovs are one of my favorites; I have done several, and will do more. This build was a sort of 'recce in force' with an eye towards doing a Type 5 in China with the Soviet 'volunteer' force operating there against the Japanese towards the end of '37; that is one I want to get very right, and the A-Model kit struck me as something it would be best to have a bit of practice on first.
I do not know what exactly happened with that first shot. I know the flash did not go off, and wife said 'oh, that's wrong' and changed the lens setting....
Edited by Old Man, 08 May 2012 - 03:31 PM.
Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:26 PM
I have come to enjoy doing bases, Sir. I cut an irregular shape from styrene sheet, and coat it thickly with epoxy. For dirt, I use colored grout powder (my local hobby shop sells small packets of it for people who do elaborate doll houses) in various mixtures of greys, browns, and tans, drizzling this over the epoxy-coated shape, which is first wet with diluted white glue. After this I turn it over and shake off the excess. For snow I use baking soda (not baking powder, which has corn-starch in it, and will yellow). Once the ground representation is complete, I then attach it to the wood. Since this plane had wheels, I figured it was most likely operating from a real field, and that use would wear away the snow-cover in a pattern of 'lines'.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users