HT's 2nd F-16 block 52

Box shots with additional conformal fuel tanks, antennae, and a few parts from the revell block 52 kit (tail pack & elevators).

019.jpg

First step in building this kite was to sort out the new tail electronics. I took the revell part as show in pic ojne then sanded the avionics off in pic two.

027.jpg

029.jpg

As you can see some surgery is required on the haseg tail. This i marked and using the panel line duly cut the part off.

028.jpg

Back to the avionics, I used the airwaves parts that come in the f-16 spine set (which ill use the spine on another kite) and cemented them to the main tail part.

030.jpg

Both the orgininal tail and new pack cemented together.

031.jpg

Moving onto the conformal fuel tanks.

032.jpg

Although these have been deisned to fit the haseg tooling they need some sanding to remove the reverse of the moulding to fit. I also had to add a small amount of milliput around the edges to prevent seeing the join line and gaps.

033.jpg

I took this opportunity to move onto the underside of the fuselage where i cemented the relevant parts together.

034.jpg

Next it was the wings that had a bit of attention as they require the removal of the rails.

035.jpg

Marked with dyno tape the rails were ready for removal.

036.jpg

Removed.

037.jpg

New rails added.

038.jpg

Main parts ready for assembly.

039.jpg

In the rack position with all those clamps, now just need to wait for the next stage.

040.jpg

Main parts dry and ready for priming.

041.jpg

Primed.

043.jpg

Some more surgery is required i.e the nose needs the sensors added and for this i will use a left over revell part.

Polish F-16s have "small mouth" intake. What type of intake did you use?

I used the smaller intake.

Looks good so far. How long have you been on this build ? :huh:

SF

Since Saturday, dates are on the photos. Once im in full swing, i can build very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I used the smaller intake.

Acutally, you did use the large (MCID) Intake. Should be small mouth for all Pratt power F-16s.

034.jpg

You also have the wrong stabs and possily the wrong Exhaust too, as it looks like you used the GE Exhaust; should be a Pratt. The F-16 small stabs went away when the Block 15 F-16A/Bs went into production.

Despite having the wrong intake, stabs, and possibly the Engine/Exhaust, it's still a very nice build; sort of a "What-If Polish Block 50". I would at the very least, install a set of large stabs when you get the chance. You can correct the stab and Exhaust errors (if indeed that is the GE Exhaust), but not sure about the intake.

Mike V

Acutally, you did use the large (MCID) Intake. Should be small mouth for all Pratt power F-16s.

034.jpg

You also have the wrong stabs and possily the wrong Exhaust too, as it looks like you used the GE Exhaust; should be a Pratt. The F-16 small stabs went away when the Block 15 F-16A/Bs went into production.

Despite having the wrong intake, stabs, and possibly the Engine/Exhaust, it's still a very nice build; sort of a "What-If Polish Block 50". I would at the very least, install a set of large stabs when you get the chance. You can correct the stab and Exhaust errors (if indeed that is the GE Exhaust), but not sure about the intake.

Mike V

Mike, the exhaust and intake were changed along prior to airbrushing the camo. I did have the wider intake and other exhaust but were not cemented once I realised and compared to photos. The stabiliers what is the difference between the two?

Hi,

The stabilisors, or (nearly) horizontal tail surfaces are larger from all block 15 a/c onward and the ones on the model are the smaller ones that are only used on early A/B models. Since the Hasegawa kit has never had these tails you must have used ones from Revell.

The last photo showing the model painted also appears to have the GE exhaust. It bulges somewhat making it look fatter then the PW and the petals or whatever they're called are wider. Block 52 a/c have the PW engine. The wider intake is used for the GE engine. The original narrower design for the PW. Some early block 30 a/c have the original intake and the GE engine which just reduces the available power, but the PW can't be used with the larger intake.

Looks nice though, I've been thinking about doing a Polish F-16 for a while now.

Stuart

Thanks for the info, yes I used the revell tail fin rather than the haseg one. Ill change the engine to suit the smaller intake. I think as this was already airbrushed for the larger intake, i never switched them over.

I think the tail is fine, it is the stabilators (the all moving tail planes) that are wrong. The early ones were smaller and had the straight rear edge. The newer ones are bigger and have a clipped rear corner edge.

Still a great looking model though.