617 Sqn Vulcan B2 XL361 RAF Scampton 1964

Icarus

Afternoon all.

Please find attached my entry to this Group Build. I'll use the Airfix 1:72 Mk 2"Vulcan to the Sky" as the base, with PE from the Flightpath B.1/B.1A conversion where relevant, topped off with decals from AirDecal. Should be fun...

Icarus

CIMG8431.jpg

CIMG8430.jpg

Nope. It will be a B2. I'll just use the relevant PE from the Flightpath set - canopy frame, ladder, etc.

Icarus

oh right cool, is the etch the same as in the other flightpath sets then.

i wouldnt mind if your not wanting them the resin b1 parts as i am doing a b1. sorry being cheeky. lol. rob

Hi Icarus,

Yes they are big and take loads of space ....... but they do look SO good.

Here is just part of what I have .......... although Robvulcan can blow me away on Vulcans.

'IMG_0757.jpg

'V'

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Icarus,

Here is just part of what I have .......... although Robvulcan can blow me away on Vulcans.

'IMG_0757.jpg

'V'

Never say never. Anyway, since the Airfix Valiant is lurking amongst the loft insulation, a second addition to the Group Build is likely (provided I suddenly inherit half of Kent to park the completed a/c in).

Icarus

• Like 1

Hi Icarus,

'IMG_0757.jpg

'V'

I do like that line-up 'V'. Please accept my appreciation:-

XL360_VULCAN_B2_617Sqdn_Gan_December1963Photo-DWR.jpg

Gan (where it was nice and warm), December 1963 during a "Mickey Finn". Two days later we flew back to Wittering (where it was "Brass Monkeys"). Eighteen hours in the back of a Beverly.

DR

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, a commentary of progress so far.

As I'm sure most people are aware, the jet pipes on the Airfix are incorrect for this Vulcan B2. This is the replacement of them with the resin replacements from Freightdog, to bring them up to Olympus 202 standard. This is the first time I've used DYMO tape as a cutting guide, and it is very impressive.

CIMG8437.jpg

CIMG8438.jpg

As I'm adding the Blue Steel which is part of the kit (although not mentioned in the instructions) I have built up the bomb bay area with Evergreen sheet styrene.

CIMG8441.jpg

I've also had some fun in the cockpit, adding scratchbuilt details. Unfortunately, as can be seen in the last photo, not much will be visible in the final aircraft. Oh well - at least I'll know it's there...

CIMG8461.jpg

CIMG8460.jpg

CIMG8463.jpg

I have then added the wings, which required considerable work with Evergreen styrene, Tippex and superglue to fill the gaps. Present state:

CIMG8464.jpg

CIMG8459.jpg

Next steps...wheel wells, canopy then priming.

Icarus

Not just the wings , Im finding the whole kit is fighting back.

Im surprised how ill fitting and " limited run" feel the whole kit is.

Keep up the good fight though.

Further updates.

This kit does not fit together well. After much fettling,sanding, etc, the tin triangle has now gone to the primer paintshop. The windscreen frame is from the wonderful Flightpath etched brass set.

Further updates as they happen,

Icarus

CIMG8574.jpg

CIMG8578.jpg

CIMG8577.jpg

Coming along nicely, just a quick correction for you though; the fin tip should have the radar warning receivers removed - as these were only added well after the Vulcans had ceased to use Blue Steel.....

Thanks Bill - good spot, and not a moment too soon. Time for some surgery...

Icarus

Unfortunately, exam revision has got in the way of real life for a while, but I have had time to do some restorative surgery on the tail of the tin triangle. Thanks for the heads-up on this, Bill.

Icarus

CIMG8586.jpg

CIMG8585.jpg