Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk

Great work and very nice plane too!

BTW, do you know, who designed the Chimpunk? His other famous design was never made by Airfix as a kit, but by Heller and Revell - yes!

Edited by GrzeM

Ah - Chippie's - ace aeroplane - one of my absolute faves...

Lovely build so far - may just have to go get one too! :)

We're fortunate enough to have four in one of the hangars at RAF Halton - all in mint condition (one owned by artist Michael Turner) - and one, I've only recently spotted, was the first powered aeroplane I ever flew in - back in 1980 from RAF Woodvale.

We also get the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Chippies in on a regular basis (last time was last Friday) - in beautiful condition following their resprays a couple of years back.

Also played a rather nice part in my pilot training a couple of years back: I was doing my first solo land away (up at Leicester) and as I re-joined circuit at Halton I heard the call Battleflight to join - i.e. Battle of Britain Flight inbound. Very auspicious I thought - and icing on the cake of a great day. They landed behind and, on being told what I'd been up to, were the first to shake hands/congratulate me.

Absolutely brilliant day that was!

Not brill quality - but taken on my iPhone:

26532_350453188122_7936177_n.jpg

26532_350452818122_687533122_3799630_5899648_n.jpg

26532_350453298122_687533122_3799635_3181852_n.jpg

If I get a chance I'll get some photo's of the Halton based Chippies and post as a walk around...

Iain

Hey Iain:

Congratulations for what you did and also for the pics you shared with us.....thank you very much for the pleasure of watching those nice pics. The walk arounds are welcomed!!! :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Hello Rod, thanks for pointing that out, now I look at the photo's Iain posted I can see the exhaust is different! Ah well, another excuse to do another!!!

I have finished the Chipmunk now, I have left the yellow tips on the front of the prop, but will correct them later. I will only put a couple here, and some others on the RFI section. No I won't, I will put them all here.

and finally the one where I could not count - the white stripes on the wings are incorrectly spaced. I only noticed when I put the transfers on!

I said earlier that I only had to count to 3 and failed abjectly, and so it was.

I tell you one thing, despite the difficulties I had I really enjoyed building this plane. I have had a soft spot for the Chipmunk ever since I did not get my flight oh so long ago. I have tried some new techniques with varying degrees of success, and am a bit more confident to try again. Looking at the pics before I finally post this I can see all sorts of bits I could improve, especially the sit of the rear canopy. I would love to give another one of these a go, or the AZ Models(?) one when it appears.

Thanks for looking and once again for all the advice given. Now, what is next?

Kind regards, Ray

Ray,

Really nice build and a great outcome, thanks for sharing. I've a red white and grey one that's next in line, the pose with the canopy open and the flaps drooped looks great so I may do the same. How did you split the canopy? Presumably it was a razor saw and a brave pill?

Ray,

Really nice build and a great outcome, thanks for sharing. I've a red white and grey one that's next in line, the pose with the canopy open and the flaps drooped looks great so I may do the same. How did you split the canopy? Presumably it was a razor saw and a brave pill?

Neal, yes it was. I have some etched blades by Airwaves and I used one of those to do it. I put some masking tape on the canopy frame line where the cut was to be made and then tried to imagine the angle I needed to cut at. The blades are supposed to fit scalpel handles but don't fit mine, so I hand held the blade, further requiring the brave pill! It did not go quite straight, but between you and me, no one will notice!

I have my eye on an all red version for my next Chipmunk. It was great fun.

Cheers for all the comments,

Kind regards, Ray