Returning to the Fold .... with sheepish comments !

'V'

O.K when this was suggested a long, long, time ago I decided that I'd join in hoping that the communal pressure would get me back modelling aircraft.

So the official build date starts tomorrow, but I'm ahead of some of you because my 2 Vulcans are started. Rob and others decided that my limited progress

would be accepted within the group build. All I have to do now is climb in the loft and find the heaps of plastic, not so easy now I have some back problems.

Anyway what I have is one destined to be a white B.1, the other another white one, but a B.2 (to go with the 5 completed models) I will not include the part

build white XH558 as it had progressed too far.

I don't know if I'll complete the course because September isn't a long way off, but onward and upward (I hope) I'll dig out a picture of bits in the box and post

in later.

'V'

This was the state of play when last looked at well over a year ago !!

IMG_0747.jpg

Just to prove I did finish a few this was my last completed aircraft model from probably 2010 ?

IMG_2111.jpg

Just to help us all get in the mood !!

'V'

Fantastic V its good to have you aboard and i wish you all the best with it. i would so love to see a white b1 they are i think my all time favourtie type of vulcan i love them all but they look awsome.

im going to be doing a frog vulcan b1 and an airfix vulcan prototype, if i can ill do 2 others i wish to make but i think ill be pushing it, but i do fancy a silver airfix b1 and a model of xm655 of which i am a member of.

good luck with the bad back V is there anyone who is on this forum who lives not far from you who could get them out the loft for you.

all the best rob

Hi Rob,

As her indoors will be out on Wednesday evening I'll try and get the ladder in to venture loft wise. It's the carrying of weight that kills me, Spinal

Stenosis or summat like, hurts like a broken arm but in the lower back and right leg. My wife wouldn't let me hump the ladder in and I wouldn't let her carry it as I have no doubt she'd be knocking bits off the wallpaper if she tried it !!

Still starting a few days late is not a problem as I do have some bits done, like the resin leading edges on the B.1 wings. Not seen it for so long I just hope everything is still in the box. When I started these two back in 2010 I thought it would be a quick job, but just lost the buzz to make any aircraft. Went into that railway modelling mode and have a part built 20' x 7' layout under construction which the MRC would like running by their exhibition in February ........ so a busy summer ahead for me !!

When I get down I'll add some more detailed photos of where I am with them ........

'V'

Hi Rob,

As her indoors will be out on Wednesday evening I'll try and get the ladder in to venture loft wise. It's the carrying of weight that kills me, Spinal

Stenosis or summat like, hurts like a broken arm but in the lower back and right leg. My wife wouldn't let me hump the ladder in and I wouldn't let her carry it as I have no doubt she'd be knocking bits off the wallpaper if she tried it !!

Still starting a few days late is not a problem as I do have some bits done, like the resin leading edges on the B.1 wings. Not seen it for so long I just hope everything is still in the box. When I started these two back in 2010 I thought it would be a quick job, but just lost the buzz to make any aircraft. Went into that railway modelling mode and have a part built 20' x 7' layout under construction which the MRC would like running by their exhibition in February ........ so a busy summer ahead for me !!

When I get down I'll add some more detailed photos of where I am with them ........

'V'

V that sounds like it must hurt alot, ouch. and i wish i could build a layout that size is your layout dcc.

also im behind already too. i went up the model shop to get my new vulcan kit to find they hadent got one, always when you need it they aint got it. so off to hannants. i really cant decide what to do.

i have a stash of lidy vulcans. and i have a frog vulcan,

but i will be doing an airfix one or more seeing as we got a while yet.

cheers rob

I didn't know you could make sheepish comment about Vulcans, can't you hear them coming from miles away? Your build from 2010 looks very nice.

Colin on the Africa Station

A couple of days off and more are on-board ......

Well I did it, ventured into the loft and brought my 2 down. I can't hide such a big box so will have some stick for venturing into the loft when the wife gets home.

Now there were requests for any spare Blue Steel missiles, well I have these going for free, just PM if you're interested.

IMG_3917.jpg

Checking out both the original DB 1/72 plans and my measurement for the B.1 span.

1st my cuts come out to the line, although when wing tip farings have been added it'll be slightly over as in fact is the from the box B.2

IMG_3916.jpg

From the original DB I would appear to have cut slightly too much off ....... or the resin leading edges are too long ?

No problems wet 'n' dry & filler will sort out any minor fit problems - Although as I've not used my GreenPutty for at least 2 years it's

gone rather stodgy and I'll have to buy some more.

IMG_3919.jpg

I had originally intended using a modified kit part for the extended nose gear, but will now use the white metal conversion set part.

IMG_3918.jpg

May get on with the B.2 first as it's easier .... or is it as I'll need to make jet pipes as the period I want to model has earlier engines.

Anyway signing off for tonight.

'V'

When you trim the Vulcan trailing edge back straight to return to earlier versions you end up with a somewhat thick section !!

IMG_3921.jpg

So I got out a rather large file and supporting the edge on a wooden bar in a garden seat started, even this file was barely

rough enough !!

IMG_3920.jpg

After some heavy work (when related to plastic kits !) and a quick spray with undercoat these are starting to looke a little more

presentable

IMG_3925.jpg

Tonight I'll dig out some plasticard and add the wing tip farings, trimming back the resin leading edges to suit. I can't fill the holes

fully where the jack farings were as I have no filler until I go shopping. They're big enough to need some plasticard in first anyway.

So much for starting on the B.2 !!

'V'

I Think this B.1 will become XH497 Finningley OCU. I also seem to recall the the B2 was between one that went in near Andover and another, heck I can't remember back 2 years or more !!

Having 2 x B.2 in anti-flash with pale markings I'd fancied at least one with full colour roundels. Have to check with the Bomber Command SIG and see if anything I fancy is already in members collections, don't want to duplicate.

This is a pause while glue sets !!!!!

'V'

this is looking brilliant v, i still need to buy parts im behind, i have no vulcan b2 kit and with 2 local model shops shut and hobby craft soon to ditch selling kits. im stuck, couldnt even find them on hannants or ebay. ill get one sorted soon. i love the b1 wing job its great.

cheers rob

Brilliant ?? Rob, the only brilliant thing will be the white paint !!

Anyway a little and often

Today saw me sanding the wing tip fairings to shape. I tried using my old Green Putty, but it's not up to

thin filling jobs.

IMG_3931.jpg

Now with that thinner trailing edge - still just a little more to come, but may wait until the wings are on.

IMG_3930.jpg

Tonight I may paint wheels ..... 2 models 36 wheels, then my sons part built 18 wheels. Do I really want

to paint 54 wheels ? Still it's gotta be done if I'm ever to finish these.

'V'

Hi Mike,

It's a funny feeling taking a big rough file to them - butchery indeed !

Having checked with the IPMS Bomber Command SIG I find someone has made a Finningley OCU B.1 so I've been looking around and now may do the B.1 as XA912 of 101 sqn Finningley '58-9. Even if I don't have a suitable pair of 101 sqn fin badges I can make them up at home easy enough.

Anyway it's gardening/F.1/model railway until this evening.

'V'

Weather more like December than May !! around here 6 degrees most of today !!

I may have found what drove me mad and caused me to drop out two years or so ago ........

Wheels - Yes Wheels !!

IMG_3932.jpg

When you think I already have 5 Vulcans and 4 Victors with 18 wheels for each !!!!!

4 different stirrings of paint over about a week to do a set.

Anyway if this is the weather we're going to have this summer sitting painting wheels may not be so bad after all ..........

Now find I have no Vulcan instrument decals ? where did they go ?

You know what, I think I'll just leave it all painted black. I mean 'How Much' can you see through the canopy ?

The pragmatic view is do only what can be seen ???

'V'

Now find I have no Vulcan instrument decals ? where did they go ?

You know what, I think I'll just leave it all painted black. I mean 'How Much' can you see through the canopy ?

The pragmatic view is do only what can be seen ???

'V'

That's the modelling school of thought I went to! :P

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

To keep the general happy I sat and finished painting wheels tonight.

Having bought my green stuff at Birmingham last Sunday I'm now about to start filling

unwanted control surface trenches to prepare the B.1 wings.

My trouble is splitting time between these Vulcans and a £2K railway layout. Never a dull moment.

'V'

To keep the general happy I sat and finished painting wheels tonight.

Having bought my green stuff at Birmingham last Sunday I'm now about to start filling

unwanted control surface trenches to prepare the B.1 wings.

My trouble is splitting time between these Vulcans and a £2K railway layout. Never a dull moment.

'V'

You are not the only one with railway "Hickups" :-)

How are you doing mate?

Hi Orjan,

I'm doing fine for a 70 year old with a bad back !!

If you want to catch up with the big current layout build you'll find it well documented here :-http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35063

I've probably taken on a rather larger task than would be wise, but then you know me !!

How are those two little beauties and the wife of course ?

'V'

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...