1/48th Hawker Hunter T.12

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who has provided answers to the questions relating to this one-off Hunter, developed and used by the RAE for the TSR.2 program. Hawker Hunter T.12 XE531 was to be used by the RAE in devolopment of the Spectoavionics Head Up Display for the TSR.2 but before this could happen the TSR.2 project was cancelled. The RAE retained XE531 as atrials aircraft at Farnborough fitted with a early Fly- by Wire developed by Boulton Paul. The aircraft crashed on take off from Farnborough on the 17th March 1983. The original airframe was unusual in that it seems that this was the only two-seat Hunter converted from an F.6, all others being converted F.4 Hunters.

Huntermk12.jpg

The kit is the Academy 1/48th Hunter with the Aeroclub two seat conversion. Decals will be custom made from Ian at Ad Astra Masks. The Aeroclub conversion is lovely to work with but sadly now very rare to find. The usual faults apply to the Academy kit and the major reworking includes the re-profiling of the top and rear corner of the rudder, filing and sanding the corners of the intakes to a better shape. The rear fin bullet has also been shortened and sanded to a more correct shape. I'm not sure what to do with the position of the tailplanes yet as they are positioned too far back on the kit and are also slightly too great in chord, but I'll worry about that later.

Here's where I am at the moment with her:

DSC_5854.jpg

Edited by Busdriver

Mark

Glad someone's building the unique T.12. That really was a most fetching colour scheme wasn't it? You've made a great start and I look forward to the next instalment.

Mark