• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maudesman

maudesman

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hello All......

Bit of help in research..... What kits are best for the football 100hr war, both corsair and mustang. Hope this isnt a old thread, that has already been posted :-)

#2 wyverns4

wyverns4

Exiled to Africa

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hi!

A quickie as I am just about to go out and hash!

Assuming 1/48;

FAS Mustangs Tamiya P51D
FAS Corsair Tamiya or Hobbycraft FG-1D
FAH Corsair Hasagawa F4U-5NL / F4U-5N
FAH also used the Corsair F4U-4. There is an elderly model out there (Minicraft/Hasagawa??) but I am not sure

Aztec Decals;
48/72-012 Mayan Gods
48/72-014 Latin American Mustangs
48/72-030 Mach Mustangs II
48/72-043 100 Hours War Corsairs

Hows that for now?

Happy modelling,

Christian who is off to hash and its raining...

Edited by wyverns4, 29 April 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#3 maudesman

maudesman

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi!

A quickie as I am just about to go out and hash!

Assuming 1/48;

FAS Mustangs Tamiya P51D
FAS Corsair Tamiya or Hobbycraft FG-1D
FAH Corsair Hasagawa F4U-5NL / F4U-5N
FAH also used the Corsair F4U-4. There is an elderly model out there (Minicraft/Hasagawa??) but I am not sure

Aztec Decals;
48/72-012 Mayan Gods
48/72-014 Latin American Mustangs
48/72-030 Mach Mustangs II
48/72-043 100 Hours War Corsairs

Hows that for now?

Happy modelling,

Christian who is off to hash and its raining...

Hi Christian...

Thanks for the info.. But afraid, in the the wee scale 1/72 LoL

Thanks again, a start anyway. :-)

Mark

#4 wyverns4

wyverns4

Exiled to Africa

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hi Mark,

No problem!
For the Mustang I would go with the Tamiya kit. For the Corsairs I have no idea, possibly Tamiya / Hasagawa / Academy??? Somebody far better than me to judge will probably be along shortly!
All the decals were produced in 72 scale (hence 48/72-___)

Cheers,

Christian who did not get rained on during the hash!

#5 Luis Alfonso

Luis Alfonso

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hi Friends:

For the Mustang you can do a good job with the Tamiya, Italeri or Academy only doing the alterations each model can need, also for the Tamiya Mustang there is a Wing conversion in Ebay which has the Tip Tanks peculiar to Cavalier Mustangs but in El Salvador Air Force planes participating in the 100 hour war the Tip Tanks were not used because it restricted the maneuverability of the plane.

For the Honduran Corsairs I have seen wonderful models with the Italeri F4U-4 or 5 and today here Claudio Moura did a nicely done job with the Hobby Boss kit, and for the FAS F4U-1D you could use nearly anyone like Tamiya, Acaemy, Hasegawa, Heller.....well, your choice or stash stock could provide.

There were another types used by both forces like the Invader A 26, T28, T6, so it would be nice to get some research for a complete series of planes and kits you could use to have a nicely display.

Cheers,

#6 Mikkel

Mikkel

Established Member

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

For the P-51D from El Salvador, the tamiya kit is the best :)
Remeber to remove the tank and radio behind the pilot seat, cause the FAS stock Mustangs where former civil aircrafts :)
Get a copy of the Dan Hagedorn book F-51 in Latin American service, it will cover must of the aircraft :)

I heard somewhere that the FAS F-51D (non cavalier) first came after the war, but I don't know :/

I have some Cavalier Mustangs conversions in 1/72, is this to any interest to you?

kit list:
El Salvador:
Mustang: Tamiya, or you could wait for the new Airfix :)
Corsair: Tamiya is the best, but Academy is also very good!

Honduras:
F4U-5, as Luis said, Italeri is fine, but the nose is to short :( and canopy is a little funky. If you by the Hobbyboss F4U-4 use the spare two part canopy for the Italeri kit, it will improve the look alot ;)
F4U-4, hobbyboss or Italeri, I dont think the Matchbox kit is so good :D

Regards,
Mikkel

#7 Luis Alfonso

Luis Alfonso

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

For the P-51D from El Salvador, the tamiya kit is the best :)
Remeber to remove the tank and radio behind the pilot seat, cause the FAS stock Mustangs where former civil aircrafts :)
Get a copy of the Dan Hagedorn book F-51 in Latin American service, it will cover must of the aircraft :)

I heard somewhere that the FAS F-51D (non cavalier) first came after the war, but I don't know :/

I have some Cavalier Mustangs conversions in 1/72, is this to any interest to you?

kit list:
El Salvador:
Mustang: Tamiya, or you could wait for the new Airfix :)
Corsair: Tamiya is the best, but Academy is also very good!

Honduras:
F4U-5, as Luis said, Italeri is fine, but the nose is to short :( and canopy is a little funky. If you by the Hobbyboss F4U-4 use the spare two part canopy for the Italeri kit, it will improve the look alot ;)
F4U-4, hobbyboss or Italeri, I dont think the Matchbox kit is so good :D

Regards,
Mikkel

Hi Friends:
As Mikkel sez, the very first Mustang impressed for the war was a private plane flown in El Salvador and registered in civil guise in the name of Mr Archie Baldocci, and the advise of Mr Dan Hageddorn book is mandatory to know the story of salvadorean planes, also this book has pics of the planes after salvadorean service in the hands of Mr Connie Edwards, Yes sir, the pilot, the one of the Battle of Britain movie fame. He also bought all but one of the surviving Guatemalan Air Force examples.
Cheers and have a nice week,
Cheers,