GB Chat

AnonymousDFB1

less than a day and a half to go and my victor is ready and waiting- the decals are in transit and I am gathering info ready for the off. I will build a Victor B.1 in Anti-Flash White colours. The conversion will be scratch built with no aftermarket bits at all. Further builds will depend on the pace of this model.

David

Edited by lancfan

Valiant is sat there in its box, seductively beckoning me. Not exactly sure which one it'll be yet, but it will be one of the OOB options. Even been and bought that particularly virulent shade of green for the cockpit interior.

I do intend to take part in this, but I'm not going to be there right at the start. I'll be starting from the pitlane as it were . . .

It's purely because I've got enough on for GBs at the mo, but those models are approaching completion, so when my

Malta GB Bf110C Nachtjaeger, and B-57B Canberra for a "Twin-engined" GB elsewhere are finished, I'll get onto my

Airfix Valiant. It'll be an OOB build, dunno which one yet . . .

hi guys this all sounds very good im sorry ive not been around much ive had my life turned upside down with new job at model shop dcc supplies and my grandad in hospital ill be here as much as i can to help out but ive never run a gb before and i dont know if anyone else is still running it with me,

i need to compile a list of all people taking part.

cheers rob

When I complete the Victor I plan to build an Anti-flash White Vulcan but only have the latest boxing kit - does anyone have spares of the original low-viz decals from the original boxing in good condition and a copy of the decal placement instructions?

David.

When I complete the Victor I plan to build an Anti-flash White Vulcan but only have the latest boxing kit - does anyone have spares of the original low-viz decals from the original boxing in good condition and a copy of the decal placement instructions?

David.

i would recomend you get yourself a decal sheet from hannants or fantasy printshop then you can choose to something other than xl321 and they have better shading than the airfix kit too.

also it will enable you to build a vulcan that is white and either a blue steel or normal bomber variant.

cheers rob

i would recomend you get yourself a decal sheet from hannants or fantasy printshop then you can choose to something other than xl321 and they have better shading than the airfix kit too.

also it will enable you to build a vulcan that is white and either a blue steel or normal bomber variant.

cheers rob

Thanks for that Rob, will do.

David.

Hi mates,

I've managed to acquire a Matchbox Victor K.2 from a fellow modeller (although it seems to include the fuselage sprue from the Revell re-issue), but I'm afraid that I may not be able to participate this Group Build. My eighth back surgery is scheduled for June 20, right in the middle of this build! I'll be recovering for 8 weeks, and I really don't know how much modelling I'll be able to do. Plus, I've just started the CMR Buccaneer, which I was planning to finish prior to starting the Victor.

We'll see how it goes with my recovery. If I can resume modelling fairly soon after, then I may join the Group Build late if that's OK with our hosts.

Cheers for now!

Bill

Hi mates,

I've managed to acquire a Matchbox Victor K.2 from a fellow modeller (although it seems to include the fuselage sprue from the Revell re-issue), but I'm afraid that I may not be able to participate this Group Build. My eighth back surgery is scheduled for June 20, right in the middle of this build! I'll be recovering for 8 weeks, and I really don't know how much modelling I'll be able to do. Plus, I've just started the CMR Buccaneer, which I was planning to finish prior to starting the Victor.

We'll see how it goes with my recovery. If I can resume modelling fairly soon after, then I may join the Group Build late if that's OK with our hosts.

Cheers for now!

Bill

Navy bird thats totaly fine with me, and i dare say that this GB will end up with an extention as from memory we have some people wanting to build all 3 v bombers. i think some are doing what ifs. too (or was that me!) anyhow good luck with the back. and just enjoy the GB no pressure. love to see another victor on the go.

cheers rob

Hi Everyone,

As part of a mini theme that includes this GB I plan to build all 3 V-bomber kits and also scratch build a number of vehicles such as the AEC Mandator. I will need at least two extra Airfix Blue Steel Missiles and also at least four sets of Blue Steel decals from the older Airfix boxings, I already have one missile with another one its way but do not have the number I really need yet and will be short of two sets of decals. Can anyone spare any of these from their spares boxes?

David.

Edited by lancfan

Hi Everyone,

As part of a mini theme that includes this GB I plan to build all 3 V-bomber kits and also scratch build a number of vehicles such as the AEC Mandator. I will need at least two extra Airfix Blue Steel Missiles and also at least four sets of Blue Steel decals from the older Airfix boxings, I already have one missile with another one its way but do not have the number I really need yet and will be short of two sets of decals. Can anyone spare any of these from their spares boxes?

David.

I can offer you 1, maybe 2 Blue Steels, plus the decals from my boxing (I'm assuming it has the proper option you're after). Do you want the recessed bomb bay too? PM me with your address if you want them.

Mike

Well this has me building up aircraft again, thank heavens for a 'V' force group build.

Mind you I'm still barely 1/4 of the way through a major '00' railway layout. This shows

just 3 out of the 12 layout boards, makes a couple of 'V' bombers look easy ?

IMG_3924.jpg

'V'

I hope that this query is in the correct section but as I am new to Group Builds on this forum please forgive me if it is not.

Whilst I am waiting for a few small parts to be delivered before I can start the Thor missile buld it'self, I have been planning

the conversion and build of the tractor unit. I intend to convert this Wespe Leyland Hippo Mk II GS Wagon into the

RAF Hippo III 10T unit.

57b5bdc2.jpg

I believe that the cab interior would be Eau d'Nil but what is the best brand for RAF Blue? Bit of a basic question I know but this is the first RAF vehicle ,

indeed RAF anything, that I have built in over forty years.

regards

Don't know about which brand but be careful that you do not pick a colour meant for uniforms, the humbrol RAF blue-Grey 96 is the uniform colour and not the vehicle colour which is darker. The MAFVA site gives this formula for RAF vehicles - 4 parts humbrol 77 + 1 part Humbrol 67 or use humbrol 112 with satin varnish over the top.

But remember that this applies to the old RAF Blue Grey and not the post-war BS 381c colour of the same name which is also a much darker colour than the uniform colour.

Hope this helps.

David.

Edited by lancfan

David,

Thank you very much. This subject is clearly not as straightforward as I thought.

More research is called for I think.

regards

The wartime colour may be the same as the post-war one - they could have just adopted it within BS381c.

There is a lot of folklore concerning vehicle modelling but the MAFVA site is usually the best one to check with for colour refs.

You could also find entries on RAF Blue - Grey in the other forums, a reliable name to look out for is Mike Starmer who really knows his colour matches.

David.

Edited by lancfan

Hi mates,

Cheers for now!

Bill

Hi mates,

Well, my surgery was moved up to May 16, and since I'm writing this I must have survived! Needless to say, I am VERY sore, but 35cm incisions will do that to you. So, there is a possibility I will be able to join this group build at some point.

I've acquired the 1:72 Matchbox Victor kit, and I bought the complete Flightpath accessory set for the K.2 (resin intakes, square metres of PE, etc.). What I'm lacking is a good set of markings. Obviously the decals that came with the Matchbox kit are, shall we say, a wee bit old. I would like to do a Desert Pink (or was it Hemp?) Gulf War veteran with some nice nose art - can someone point me to where I could acquire a decal sheet like that? I've had a look at Hannants, EvilBay, etc. but am coming up empty.

Cheers,

Bill

HI Bill,

This list may help but they are all out of production so you may have to hunt for them.

I hope you get the decals you need,

David.

Euro Decals - ED72-100 XH671 "Sweet/Slinky Sue", XL190, XL161, XM717 "Lucky Lou", XM715 "Teasin' Tina", XL231 "Lusty Lindy", XL164 "Saucy Sal" and XH672 "Maid Marian"

Model Decal - ML109 XH671 "Sweet/Slinky Sue" and XL164 "Saucy Sal"

Model Decal - ML110 XM717 "Lucky Lou"

Almark Decals - ALDS7210 XL231 "Lusty Lindy"

Xtradecal - X02272 XH672 "Maid Marian"

Xtradecal - X02372 XM715 "Teasin Tina"

A fanfare for the Bomber Command SIG .........

Best club/Group display at Birmingham 20.5.2012

A few 'V' bombers on display at this end - and still loads under the table !!

IMG_3940.jpg

Funny lighting, but worth seeing !!

'V'

Hi Bill,

Get building ...... I can't make an absolute promise, but I have 4 victors built B.1, B.1A, B2 and gulf war K2 so it's most unlikely that I'll ever build another K2 tanker, if anything it would be a K.1 to complete the set.

What I'll do is search my decal stack sometine later this week and see what I have that I can send. It will be nose art only as I've probably used all the stencils and other detail decals. If I find something I'll PM you and you can then send your full postal address.

'V'

• 4 weeks later...

As an ex-Vulcan engineer, I feel that I 'should' have a go in this GB. Trouble is, my heart's not in it yet. I can't find the right 'angle', to keep my interest up.

Are what-ifs allowed, I wonder. I'll have a look...

(Thinks: YES! brilliant, I have my 'angle', it's quite an acute angle compared to the real Vs but the shape's right, the engines are similar, yeah, this could work, odd scale for me but I'll cope, if I can find a cheap one, back story is interesting, would attract interest at shows, Airfix though, sigh, out with the filler, I've sort of done it before so this time I'd get it more right, if a whiff can be 'right', the model's easy but decals will be a pain to find, no, I have an idea for that, different squadron! oh this might be a nice little back burner job for the summer break, most of the creativity would be the writiing anyway so it's cheap, yes, yes, I'm in.)

May I come to your party please?

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Hi guys im awful sorry for my lack of activity this last few weeks, ill be on here soon to comment on all your models.

ive had many crisis at once, car broke down, pc broke down, lap top broke down, phone broke, backup phone broke, and to top it off a hard disk fail that lost me all my album i have been recording and all my work for the last 10 years,

all in one weekend.

luckily i got the car fixed the data back and a new phone and my computers working again,

to top that off my vulcan was very late arriving but now shes finally landed in my lap soon i will start a build thread and get into the v force action again.

hope you guys are all having a lot of fun i cant wait to get started i just still cant decide what vulcan to make this time. still fighting between a b1a, a sliver b1 or xh533 (first b2 but essencially a b1 with b2 wings slaped on, small tail cone small intakes "different" ) or xm655 as is today or vx777 ah the choices suggestions welcome