BUA's modified wing-tips

BUA/B.Cal operated four VC10's, all standard (shortbody) types, but...

the first two ordered, G-ASIW and G-ASIX, had modified wings and wing tips, which made them unique.

BUA then acquired the Prototype, G-ARTA, which was modified in the same way and there are photos which clearly show the tips.

They also acquired G-ATDJ....

It was originally intended for Ghana Airways but they cancelled it so it was built for BUA as G-ATDJ.

But....

I'm not sure if it had the modified wings and wing tips that the other three BUA VC10's had...

(this could be of interest to others building BUA aircraft)

B.Cal then sold it to the RAE where it became XX914;

There is just one photo, in flight, of XX914 in Scott Henderson's book, which seems to show the wings as not having the same tips as the other three BUA/B.Cal aircraft. Can anybody shed any light here?

If XX914/G-ATDJ did not have those tips, this aircraft will be easier to build as a BUA/B.Cal aircraft than the others....

The other BUA/B.Cal aircraft -

G-ASIW - sold to Air Malawi as 7Q-YKH, wfu 29/10/79 and stored at Hurn until ferried to Blantyre 12/5/81, stored then scrapped in Africa January 1995

G-ASIX - sold to the Sultan of Oman as A40-AB, then donated to Brookland Museum 6/7/87

G-ARTA - lsd Laker a/w 1968, sub-lsd to MEA as OD-AFA, sold to BUA 1/1/69. To B.Cal, w/o LGW 28/1/72

anybody who can help further with those wingtips, please post!

ty

:)

Edited by kev1n

this may also be of interest, it appears to be an unmodified aircraft, so it might be a pr vid made before actual service entry

BUA/B.Cal operated four VC10's, all standard (shortbody) types, but...

The other BUA/B.Cal aircraft -

G-ASIW - sold to Air Malawi as 7Q-YKH, wfu 29/10/79 and stored at Hurn until ferried to Blantyre 12/5/81, stored then scrapped in Africa January 1995

:)

Thats interesting! I flew in 7Q-YKH from Gatwick around 1977/78, will have to check my log. It was an hour long 'jolly' organised by an enthusisat group for like minded people. Very nice indeed. I chose to sit near the engines because it was said at the time that it was very quiet. It was reasonably true as there was no racket on take off like there is on the Airbusses I've flown in in more recent years! Some time later, I bought some decals for this one but the producer was anonymous as I think I bought them from VHF Supplies on the Bath Road near LAP. Still have the model and it needs some TLC like undercart repairs. Love to show everyone here pics of it and will do once my camea issue is sorted.

But, I never knew about the wing tips!

I do have a decal set for BUA by Liveries Unlimited that I might use on my new build. Don't know yet.

Edited by Paul J

But, I never knew about the wing tips!

missed by quite a few...I wouldnt know about them if it wasnt for Scott Henderson's book.

• 3 weeks later...

some additional info written by Steve Hopwood - Stevsig on BM - for the IPMS Airliner SIG about this particular aircraft;

BUAWing_1.jpg

so if building this one in the BUA delivery colours, you could build it without the wing mods....