Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang 8th AF

This is my first model comleted in almost 2 years after a bit of drama in my personal life.

It is the Tamiya P-51D done in the colours of Major Leonard "Kit" Carson, 357th Fighter Wing, 362nd Fighter Squadron.

I had fun building this- out of the box, mostly, but with a true details seat added and cockpit decals from Mike Grant.

It is painted with a combination of Tamiya, Citadel Metallics and Lifecolor. I used Lifecolor Tensocrom paint for all my weathering.

CIMG1645.jpg

CIMG1648.jpg

CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1646.jpg

CIMG1644.jpg

CIMG1635.jpg

CIMG1637.jpg

CIMG1633.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Very impressive looking Mustang indeed!

For my personal taste, the preshading looks overdone and much too obvious. However, de gustibus non est disputandum…

Welcome back!

Best,

Joachim

Edited by Spitfire31

• 4 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2012 at 3:50 AM, Alan Kelley said:

This is my first model comleted in almost 2 years after a bit of drama in my personal life.

It is the Tamiya P-51D done in the colours of Major Leonard "Kit" Carson, 357th Fighter Wing, 362nd Fighter Squadron.

I had fun building this- out of the box, mostly, but with a true details seat added and cockpit decals from Mike Grant.

It is painted with a combination of Tamiya, Citadel Metallics and Lifecolor. I used Lifecolor Tensocrom paint for all my weathering.

CIMG1645.jpg

CIMG1648.jpg

CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1646.jpg

CIMG1644.jpg

CIMG1635.jpg

CIMG1637.jpg

CIMG1633.jpg

Thanks for looking.

How did you do the weathering? Can you describe the method in detail? Also how did you do the metal paint? Please describe which Tamiya, Citadel Metallics and Lifecolor paints you used and how they were applied . How di you use the Lifecolor Tensocrom paint for all my weathering? Wonderful model! Fantastic work!!!!

Wow- built this a long time ago now- almost 5 years ago. To be honest I was never happy with it- the post shading on the panel lines was far too heavy. Much happier with the 1/32 Tamiya I did after that. Really looking forward to the new Airfix kit- handled the sprues at Telford and it looks fantastic, much better than the Jeng in my opinion.