VC10 British Airways (or maybe BOAC?)

having located my supply of lead, the fuselage was weighted and the two halves invited to join together: an invitation that they steadfastly declined. This being the case a forced marriage took place with clothes pegs and a load of Tamiya tape . Clearly I have a few filling and sanding sessions to0 look forward to! :frantic:

Martin

101_2993.jpg

101_2994.jpg

having located my supply of lead, the fuselage was weighted and the two halves invited to join together: an invitation that they steadfastly declined. This being the case a forced marriage took place with clothes pegs and a load of Tamiya tape . Clearly I have a few filling and sanding sessions to0 look forward to! :frantic:

Martin

101_2993.jpg

101_2994.jpg

You know, if you squint your eyes and use a bit of imagination the "stripey yellow" livery is pretty cool!

I decided that, after all, it would be easier to use the Braz replacement engines than to try and rework the kit examples. I therefore blanked off the holes in the rear fuselage for the tounges of the kit engines. I then drilled four holes and inserted two aluminium tubse accross the width of the fuselage. These was then filed to size. Matching holes were then drilled in the stubs of the Braz engines and some brass rod glued into them. The Braz engines now slot neatly into the aluminium spars and, when they are glued in place, will not be going anywhere.

Martin

101_2998.jpg

101_3000.jpg

101_2999.jpg

Coming along nicely Martin, those Braz Conways really do make a difference to the end result. Keep up the good work!

Mark

Coming along nicely Martin, those Braz Conways really do make a difference to the end result. Keep up the good work!

Mark

Thanks, I have now got the wings on and hope to get a picture up tonorrow when they are dry and the model can be moved for photography. I can then get the tailplane on and we will have a complete airframe at least and the mother of all filling and sanding sessions to looforward to (not!). The trouble at the moment is that they tailplane fits where it touches, which is in not many places as things stand, and flops about like a flopping about thing on a day when it has gone a bit limp! I can see a session of packing things out with plastic card and yet more filling and scribing, marching in the direction of this build. I know the VC10 has an all flying tailplane but in places the gap between it and the fin on the model is somewhere in the region of three scale feet. I don't know whether I just have a bad kit but, if the fit of the kit generally is as bad as mine, I am beginning to see why I haven't seen many of these made up at shows.

Last night and this morning I managed to get the airframe all glued together. Some plastic card packing was required to get the tailplane to sit square on the fin. I also scribed some deep lines on the upper wimgs to take the inboard wing fences supplied in the Two Six etched set. when all this has fully set I'm afraid its time for that filler fest I have been so looking forward to!

Martin

101_3001.jpg

101_3002.jpg

101_3004.jpg

Despite some vigorous sanding there were signs of the join the length of the fuselage and some lovely sink marks as a nice little bonus. :yahoo: So, out with the putty, in this instance some Mr White Putty. I plan to fill and sand this build in sections; next up will be the underside of the fin to tailplane joint, Miliput for that as well as the engines to fuselage joint, Miliput again due to the mix of resin and plastic in this aera.

Martin

101_3005.jpg

101_3006.jpg

I continue to try and intimidate this heap of plastic into looking like something akin to a VC10. I have managed a preliminary clean up of all of the joins, the upper fuselage anf upper wing roots needing more work on them. I intend to use Mr Surfacer for the first time on this model to try and bet the best possible surface for painting. Can anybody tell me what to use for cleaning my brush afterwards please as the instructions on the bottle are rather helpfully all in Japanese?

Martin

101_3007.jpg

101_3008.jpg

101_3009.jpg

"heap of plastic".....lolololololol

never used Mr Surfacer myself so cant help - but it looks like your heading in the right direction

Problems with my new medicatin have slowed things down a bit over the last couple of days but last night I felt well enough to fit the inboard wing fences. These came from the Two Six etched fret for the kit. To ensure a strong join to the wings I first scribed a deep trench on the wings where they shoud fit. I then flooded the trenches with superglue and fitted the parts. I don't think the fences are going anywhere now.

Martin

101_3013.jpg

A bit of an emergency here chaps! I did a bit more on the model after lunch and got the wingtip nav lights done, no issues there. However I then went to fit the windscreen and discovered that it appears to be missing from my kit. :frantic: This is a bit of a bugger to put it mildly as I can't complete the model without it. Does anybody have a knackered model of incomplete kit that might be able to help me out? At the moment my gratitude would know no bounds as I have spent quite a bit on extras for this kit and don't want it making an unscheduled landing on the shelf of doom!

Martin

if you need to you could try scratchbuilding one from a coke bottle or similar

cut to size, heat gently in water and bend to shape

hth

if you need to you could try scratchbuilding one from a coke bottle or similar

cut to size, heat gently in water and bend to shape

hth

Thanks Kevin, there have been one or two very helpful ideas on the forum. It does look however, that there isa saviour galloping to the rescue. He has a spare part that he did not use on a build he did so it looks like I don't have to get involved in more complicated work.

Two Six decals provide some nice aerials on their etched fret so I think I will drill the holes for them next along with doing the two lights mounted in the nose. The kit hs just a couple of half arsed dimples for these so I have already drilled them out ready for some proper lights to be fitted.

Martin

:rofl:

Titter if ye must Kev, but nobody could ever accuse me of not making myself clear about things.

Martin

As already mentioned, the kit has a couple of dimples on the nose that would put the one on Kirk Douglas' chin to shame (I have always had the urge to take a packet of Miliput to the bloke!). These are actually rather pathetic attempts at represnting the two prominent lights either side of the nose. I drilled these out and glued a clear plastic plug in each of the holes. When dry these were sanded to match the nose contours and the scratches polished out. The next step will be to aaly Klear, silver paint and matt black, in that order, to the parts of the plugs that are inside the fuselage. he pictures will show what I am wittering on about.

Martin

101_3015.jpg

101_3017.jpg

Edited by martin hale

what pictures ???????

Quite! What is happening with Photobucket? They seem to have changed their system and I can't find out how to copy and paste to this site now. Can anybody out there help me?

Martin

Right I have it sorted now! Hopefullyyou can see the pictures now. Can somebody let me know if this is so please? You would think that if they are going to alter things then the W%$*&rs at Photobucket might like to let the users know. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Martin

ok, sorted.

2nd pic is a bit dark on the area of the nose but I know what your doing tho - looks like a good move, so I'll steal your idea and do the same :)

A friend and his wife came to dinner last night and was looking at this build. He said that he thought that the tail bullet looked a bit oversized and a bit too flat on the top. So, before we all got too squiffy, we got my references out to see if he was right. A few glasses later we decided that he did have a point so this afternoon I carved as much as I dared away from the bullet. I did break through the plastic in one place but a plug of plastic from the kit's sprue soon sorted that out.

I also had rether cack handedly managed to lose one of the nose lights so I did another one of these while I had the modelling gear out. I also did another picture of this to hopefully show what I was describing the other day.

Here's hoping Photocrap decides to play ball tonight!

Martin

101_3018.jpg

101_3019.jpg

Martin

That idea for adding the front lights in place of the unflattering dimples is ace! Hope you don't mind but I'll copy that on my pair of 10s. Interesting observation about the fin bullet as well. I'll also look at my reference materials a bit more closely and perform some similar surgery!

Your build's coming on a treat btw!

Mark