A pair of gullwings

Started these. I got the SLS for Xmas off my kids and had the SL for years.

Problem is the SL had it's Chassis cut up as I was going to customise it with a Merc V6 racing engine and 19" racing wheels....

So first job was to repair it!!

DSCF0359.jpg

DSCF0364.jpg

Sorry...box shot and instructions for the SL...Matchbox AMT...

DSCF0360.jpg

DSCF0362.jpg

The bodyshells...

DSCF0365.jpg

Fixed the SLs's front and rear bumbers on

The wheels...painted the SLS wheels matt black as I prefer them to chrome..

DSCF0363.jpg

primered the body panels and rubbed them over with 1200 wet and dry (wet)

DSCF0372.jpg

DSCF0373.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

Nice one! It's only when you get them together that you can see what a big car the SLS is compared to the 300SL (or 300SLR in my case). I wonder if the 300SL is REALLY 1/25, and is different from the Heller and Italeri 1/24 kits, or whether there's actually only one oldish mould doing the rounds? Either way, the SLS is still a lot bigger, even if it is slightly larger scale as well! Good luck with the doors on the 300SL -- the fit on my SLR was dire. The engineering on the SLS gullwings is superb, though, and they both function as advertised on mine.

What colours are you going to do them in? Traditional silver with a red interior, or something a little more left field? I think the 300SL looks awesome in shiny black...

I'll be watching this with interest!

bestest,

M.

Nice one! It's only when you get them together that you can see what a big car the SLS is compared to the 300SL (or 300SLR in my case). I wonder if the 300SL is REALLY 1/25, and is different from the Heller and Italeri 1/24 kits, or whether there's actually only one oldish mould doing the rounds? Either way, the SLS is still a lot bigger, even if it is slightly larger scale as well! Good luck with the doors on the 300SL -- the fit on my SLR was dire. The engineering on the SLS gullwings is superb, though, and they both function as advertised on mine.

What colours are you going to do them in? Traditional silver with a red interior, or something a little more left field? I think the 300SL looks awesome in shiny black...

I'll be watching this with interest!

bestest,

M.

I'm not sure on the heritage of the SL. I know AMT did it years ago, which was later revived as this Matchbox kit. I didn't realise Heller and Italeri had done one!

As far as I can see the fit of the doors isn't too bad. The bonnet is a little "snug" and the boot lid may need some fettling. It's nowhere near as detailed as the Revell SLR, but it's an SL, so I'm happy.

As for colour, I love both these cars in red, so that's what it will be. SLs will probably have a red and black interior. The SL was going to be red inside too, but looking at photos of the real thing it appears most red ones had a tan interior, so thats what I'm going with. You get a choice of normal or Rudge knock-off wheels, will probaly use the Rudges

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report here. Just done some more painting of bits on the SL

Inside of the bodyshell

DSCF0433.jpg

Interior ( there's more than this..)

DSCF0430.jpg

Engine block and brake drums (200bhp and drums all round!! :dead )

DSCF0427.jpg

And figuring out how to put the previously butchered front suspension back together!

DSCF0429.jpg

Using the method described in cmatthewbacon's Aston DBS thread, I tried to spray the carbon fibre effect under the bonnet of the SLS. Obviously I've got the wrong ribbon because I failed miserably!

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

I will have to try again!

The SL has had it's chassis painted, seeing as I had the black in the gun...

DSCF0438.jpg

DSCF0439.jpg

Hi, Paul... sorry to hear that it didn't work!

You want something that looks kinda like this:

ribbons-S.jpg

And you need to hold it close to the surface -- more so for smaller meshes.

Click it to see it larger. To avoid hijacking your build, I've put a separate thread here:

Painting Carbon Fibre

Good Luck!

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Thanks for that. I bought 2 similar to the smaller mesh, but I'll have a look for the larger one today.

Edit; Just read your link. I think I wasn't holding it close enough....

Edited by Devilfish

• 2 weeks later...

It's been slow going with these two. Mainly because of the weather. I couldn't get out to spray the bodyshells.

Well, with the spell of half decent weather I managed it, and her's the results...

Sorry, the light in my room isn't condusive to taking good pictures of glossy items...

DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0463.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

And my attempt a carbonfibre look under the bonnet. Not sure if you will be able to see it or not..

DSCF0460.jpg