I will hopefully add 2 10's to this group, 914 and a what if RB211 engined tanker - when my braz 211's arrive.

DSC00264.jpg

The soon to be butchered victim.

DSC00265.jpg

Fuselage hdu removed and windows filled with oval rod and correction fluid.

Now back to paint the 190

I have an insane idea that I would like to build at least one model in each colour scheme that the VC10 flew in....

the RAE c/s is somewhere at the top of the list....I'll have to get that S&M decal...

look forward to seeing them oggy

dropped flaps is always added interest - leading edge slats?....going to do those as well?

and...I found an interesting sidenote to XX914;

It was originally intended for Ghana Airways but tyhey cancelled it so it was built for BUA as G-ATDJ.

But....

I'm not sure if it had the modified wings and wing tips that the other three BUA VC10's had...

(this could be of interest to others building BUA aircraft)

Well, the braz hoovers arrived today , so 914 got new conways and no2 got a 211 tacked on to see how things looked.

I am happy enough with the 757 - 211's, they look better than the L1011 units.

DSC002aa.jpg

Edited by oggy4624

dropped flaps is always added interest - leading edge slats?....going to do those as well?

and...I found an interesting sidenote to XX914;

It was originally intended for Ghana Airways but tyhey cancelled it so it was built for BUA as G-ATDJ.

But....

I'm not sure if it had the modified wings and wing tips that the other three BUA VC10's had...

(this could be of interest to others building BUA aircraft)

\What are the diffs on the BUA 10's? I've got a Liveries Unlimited decal set for a BUA 10 and it features 'TDJ as well as 'SIW and 'SIX

here's a pic I found of 'DJ, in it's BUA days and it clearly shows it did have the wingtip mods....

g-atdj.jpg

The wing fences were applied to all standard body VC10's, and the cargo door to all the original RAF order and those acquired by BUA, who were the only operator, afaik, to order the standard VC10, with Super VC10 wings; check out the leading edge....and with the cargo door.

There is a single pic of this aircraft in the RAE c/s in Scott Henderson's book, and the wingtips appear to be without the mod.

I was wondering if the wings were restored to the original config when the RAE acquired it, tho' I cant see why this would be done.

The cargo door is still there btw

• 3 weeks later...

My ex-wifes grandad worked on the cargo door conversions at Brooklands, he also worked on the Valiant and once told me the last Valiant to leave climbed so steeply after take off that everyone thought it was going to stall, but the pilot did a wing over and flew away - would've liked to have seen that!

Hang on, something has just occurred to me. The 757 version of the RB211 was the 535, which developed 40,100lb in the definitive E4 version. Each side's Conways on a VC10 developed 45,000lb. Wouldn't a bigger RB211 be needed?