Handley Page Leonides Herald

Admiral Puff

A few thought on this....

Don't rob 2 Pembrokes - they are the wrong engines! The Herald had Alvis Leonides Majors. They were 14 Cylinder 2-row radials (i.e. 7- cylinders in each row - so even using a Pembroke engine as the 'front' row is incorrect by 2 cylinders). Raiding my and a friends spares box, I think we have found a cowling of the correct length and diameter - trouble is, only parly sure they are from a Dornier Do217 or thereabouts, but will still have to insert a 7-row radial for the front (Oxford or Anson?) and maybe scratch built the almost completely hidden back row.

Don't waste your Darts on a 'what if', when Aifix's new DC-3 is just asking for a re-engine job (did it years ago on the old kit - easy peasy! - look up the article in Airfix Magazine if you can find it, maybe about 1975/80ish?

And Vince...thanks for your kind offer. When I figure out how this messaging thing work I'll get in touch - if all else fails, by snail mail (I'm in Scotland).

Thanks, Alan - at least I don't have to go scrabbling through the stash to find the Pembroke!

Looking at Vince's model, it occurs to me that the critical item is the cowling. Almost any two-row 14 cylinder radial could be used, modified as necessary, as long as it fitted inside - most if it will be hidden behind the spinner.

There's a resin aftermarket set to convert the old Airfix(Italeri) C-47 into a Dart Dakota, and I'd rather go down that route than try to adapt the Frog ones. However, I have an idea for a what-if stretched Rotodyne which could well do with a pair of Darts rather than the Elands fitted to the prototype ...