British United Airlines

This is the Airfix VC-10. There's a shock, eh? :wicked:

I looked and looked for one of these. Found a number on fleabay... made a bid on each one... got sniped in the dying seconds. Every single flippin' time!!!! :yikes:

I was going into a downward spiral when Martin @ RAMmodels stepped in. A gentleman and a scholar if ever there was one.

So here it is. I will be using the TwoSix decals sheet to build a British United Airlines jet. Hopefully it will look like this --> Linky 1 or this --> Linky 2

Don't you just love the retro looks of 60s airliners?

001.jpg

The parts were bagged. Totally pristine! Never been opened! It seemed a shame to open the bag at first. But I'm a modeller, not a collector! ;)

002.jpg

The obligatory sprue shots.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

And the TwoSix Decals sheet. What a superb sheet!

006.jpg

To be honest, this build will take me slightly out of my comfort zone. Lots of white - which I always find difficult to spray. Raised panel lines - which I tend to fight shy of. It's just not what I'm used to. So... here we go. Hold on tight, rider! :D

Different tactics on wings and fuselage.

On the fuselage I have backed the windows with plastic card and filled the appertures with Milliput. I have sanded off all the doors because the decal sheet has suitable outlines.

007.jpg

On the wings, I have scribed the raised panel lines and highlighted them with pencil. I just have to scribe in the oval panels and then give the components a good sanding.

008.jpg

The horizontal tail will come in for similar treatment. The raised panel lines on the vertical tail will be left as is for the time being. When the white paint has been sprayed, I will sand the panel lines down allowing the grey plastic to show through. Hopefully this will provide a nice subtle contrast.

Very cool. I see you have the same fuselage Im using. How did you remove the fueling boom housing?

Oops! Forgot to mention that. I just hacked it off with a razor saw. Nothing particularly subtle about it. Then the raised edges were carved away with a No 10 blade. When I glue the fuselage halves together, I will back the area with plastic card and then smooth it all out with Milliput. There are a number of areas that need filler including the IFR probe location on the nose and numerous sink marks on the fuselage locating pins.

I've got a VC-10 in that box, Are they worth much? I wouldn't know!

Well, you can end up paying silly money on fleabay. That's always assuming that you don't get sniped at the last moment.

However, I paid a very fair price for mine. Thanks Martin! :)

Go Enzo!

As to the white, Halfords gloss applicance white is the way to go, but if you havent used it before, practice first!

This stuff gives a great finish, especially when micromeshed, but it does gush out of the can.

As to the white, Halfords gloss applicance white is the way to go, but if you havent used it before, practice first!

This stuff gives a great finish, especially when micromeshed, but it does gush out of the can.

nodnodnod I've made that mistake before. :wall:

I will be using Alclad2 white primer as a top coat instead.

Hi

I have asked that in the GB Chat section as i would like to know also, i hope it stops your build being taken over by the replys

Paul

I have asked that in the GB Chat section as i would like to know also, i hope it stops your build being taken over by the replys

Thanks Paul.

I'm one of the worst culprits for causing threads to drift. So if this thread did drift, it would only be karma. :lol:

I didn't know they were in the wrong position. So I'll probably just leave 'em alone. :fraidnot:

All change! :hypnotised: Kev1n has posted about these in the reference thread. It's not a difficult fix, so I will be doing it.

Be aware that the BUA standard VC10 aircraft had the SuperVC10 wing with wing tip extensions...........

indeed.....

one of the reasons I havent built a BUA '10 yet is I have never found a decent pic(s) or plans of those soddin' extensions.

I have tho' just posted a couple of pics of BUA's in the refs thread.

Edited by kev1n

one of the reasons I havent built a BUA '10 yet is I have never found a decent pic(s) or plans of those soddin' extensions.

I have tho' just posted a couple of pics of BUA's in the refs thread.

Thanks. I could just ignore the wingtips. It's a reasonable plan of action. The problem is that you've told me about them now so if I don't do anything about them, I won't be able to sleep at night! :D

neither will I.....and dont forget the cargo door either :)

(except for G-ARTA, which didnt have it - see more additons to the refs thread...)

Fuselage halves glued together. For some odd reason the halves simply didn't line up, so there is a step all along the fuselage top. Not to worry - I have wet and dry paper and I'm not afraid to use it! :lol:

009.jpg

One thing I have always found fascinating about the VC10 is that the wing aerofoil appears to be inverted at the wing root. You can see this clearly on the model.

The hose fairing was simply hacked off and filled with Milliput. It is still in the process of being sanded smooth.

010.jpg

the step might have something to do with original molding flaws....just a guess...

coming along though