F-16C Texas ANG

Finally, after a long week of job interviews and exams I'm able to join in the fun!

For this GB I'll be building this Block 30 Viper of the Texas ANG.

2012_San_Antonio_19_1267828237_1156.jpg

I'll be using the Tamiya 1/48 F-16C/N "Aggressor/Adversary" boxing.

P1010088.jpg

P1010095.jpg

With these decals from Caracal and Two Bobs.

P1010090.jpg

Some aftermarket that I may or may not use. Aires Nozzle and wheel bays, Tamiya strengthening plates, Master pitot and AOA probes and Brassin wheels. (not the Quickboost seat as it won't fit in a Tamiya cockpit!)

P1010092.jpg

And last, but not least, some all important reference material courtesy of Jake Melampy.

P1010083.jpg

I have the Daco book as well but in IMHO the Reid Air book trumps it, especially for the later Vipers.

I'm off to make a start on this one. Good luck to everyone else involved in the GB.

Sean

Edited by Sundown

I really want to build a second Texas ANG Viper along side this one, only with a more restrained paint scheme. I was planning to build one of the birds on Two Bobs sheet 48-076 but I can't find it anywhere, I've probably filed it away for safe keeping but now I can't remember where!

http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/601...bs48076/00.shtm

Does anyone have a copy of this sheet that they could sell me? :pray:

Cheers,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of progress, I was really hoping to give a big update this evening but unfortunately had a bit of disaster with the intake.

Sean

P.S. Thanks to Gary (mungo1974) I know have a set of Two Bobs decals for the Lonestar Gunfighters. :D

Edited by Sundown

• 2 weeks later...

Just been checking out some of the excellent progress being made on the other builds and realised I'm in danger of being left behind! I've not been able to spend much time on this so far but here's a quick update.

Finally sorted the intake, Shiny!!

P1010142.jpg

Main wheel well painted black followed by a coat of white to emphasize shadows. I'll apply a pin wash and pick out some of the details later on.

P1010144.jpg

Nose gear well, originally I wasn't going to use the Aires one, especially after I had finished the intake. Then in a moment of madness I just started sanding...

P1010135.jpg

I decided to use the kit pit as the the detail is pretty good and the Aires pit is based on the Hasegawa kit. Tamiya have even captured the varying slope of the side consoles found on the F-16.

P1010164.jpg

Hoping for a lot more progress this weekend, that's if I don't make it to Hendon on Sunday!

Sean

Edited by Sundown

• 3 weeks later...

Added a few details to the cockpit but to be honest the F-16 cockpit is pretty crowded so you won't see too much anyway. I've partially covered the rear vents with styrene as the kit depicts the vents found on a D model. I've added stretched sprue to depict various switches and buttons to the control stick, I left the sprue over length to make it easier to handle and when the glue's dried I'll trim them to length. Just need to make a landing gear lever as the moulded one is a bit rubbish.

P1010173.jpg

P1010219.jpg

The pilot has been through some major surgery to re-attach some limbs but the patient is doing well. This is the Tamiya pilot with a Hasegawa head, a bit more work needed, hands, Oxygen hose, etc. but I'm happy with how he's turned out.

P1010223.jpg

Here's how it comes together, should be able to paint something soon! Note the landing gear lever is now attached.

P1010182.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sundown

Hi Sean

It happens to us all ,the time`s I have had fish eye`s come up

and had to strip it back . looking good now

wellzy :headphones:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a day off and was able to get some bench time, I even managed to paint some of it!

I painted the compressor face with Alclad Dark Aluminium.

P1010258.jpg

The heated intake strut is painted with Alclad pale burnt metal.

P1010265.jpg

I made use of Tamiya's excellent light curing putty to speed things along!

P1010280.jpg

Eduards Brassin wheels are pretty nice (if a bit square) but the pour stub is right on the tread line.

P1010284.jpg

My razor saw has some spacers that can be used to hold the blade at varying heights. This made it a breeze to re-cut the tread and keep it parallel.

wheels.jpg

Finally painted the cockpit, I used Lifecolor for the base and picked out the panels with Vallejo shades of grey.

P1010242.jpg

Here's the finished cockpit after washing and picking out the Detail. looks a bit of a mess but once the everything else is installed only the side consoles will be seen.

P1010293.jpg

Started painting the exhaust, a coat of gloss white inside ready for weathering. The pics don't show it that well but I used various shades of Alclad to show the effects of heat on the exhaust petals.

P1010320.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Sean