• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 marty_hopkirk

marty_hopkirk

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

According to HLJ Aoshima are to release 5 of their Thunderbird kits in June and July.

http://www.hlj.com/s...h...s=All&Dis=2

Marty...

#2 Kallisti

Kallisti

Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hmmm, will this drive down prices on eBay? ;)

#3 GordonD

GordonD

All-round great guy

• Gold Member
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

According to HLJ Aoshima are to release 5 of their Thunderbird kits in June and July.

http://www.hlj.com/s...h...s=All&Dis=2

Marty...

Are these half-decent kits or are they more like toys, with large wheels and motors to propel them across the carpet?

#4 Andy Mullen

Andy Mullen

Tomcat Fan

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Are these half-decent kits or are they more like toys, with large wheels and motors to propel them across the carpet?

Not sure of the Thunderbirds base, but the others are half decent kits.

Here is the only I have built so far - Thunderbird 2 and Container Dock
Posted Image

#5 marty_hopkirk

marty_hopkirk

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

The Thunderbird 1 kit is a relatively new one and regarded as the most accurate ever produced.

Marty...

#6 The Loggie

The Loggie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Will HLJ get more models of the Fireflash airliner? That's the one that I'm after.
George, out..............

#7 Anthony Kesterton

Anthony Kesterton

Looking and learning

• Gold Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Not sure of the Thunderbirds base, but the others are half decent kits.

Here is the only I have built so far - Thunderbird 2 and Container Dock
Posted Image

Very impressive Thunderbird 2 - is the Container dock part of the kit, or is it scratch built?

anthony

#8 Andy Mullen

Andy Mullen

Tomcat Fan

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Very impressive Thunderbird 2 - is the Container dock part of the kit, or is it scratch built?

anthony

Tony, Thunderbird 2, the three pods, 2 vehicles and the Docks two walls and floor were all provided in the kit I bought years ago. My kit number was #33135 which is different to the kit number shown as #00354. The Aoshima web site shows it with 13 vehicles so they may have added to it.

Andy

#9 Kallisti

Kallisti

Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Wonder if they would do a Thunderbird 1 pen diorama, featuring of course the infamous lemon squeezer :)

#10 David Womby

David Womby

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Wonder if they would do a Thunderbird 1 pen diorama, featuring of course the infamous lemon squeezer :)

It's not listed for re-release but they did one. It's in 1/350 scale with the TB2 container dock diorama.

Aoshima 1/350 TB1 Launch Pad

David

#11 copernicus

copernicus

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Any one else ever wonder how Thunderbird 2 settled onto its selected pod without its wings crashing down on top of the pods either side of it ?

#12 GordonD

GordonD

All-round great guy

• Gold Member
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Any one else ever wonder how Thunderbird 2 settled onto its selected pod without its wings crashing down on top of the pods either side of it ?

Also why Thunderbird 1 rotates through ninety degrees when it gets to the bottom of the ramp?

#13 Will Vale

Will Vale

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

Or why the Mole's tracks run backwards?

#14 GordonD

GordonD

All-round great guy

• Gold Member
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

That could be down to this.

#15 marty_hopkirk

marty_hopkirk

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

In GA productions often the model was static and it was the set that moved.

Marty...

#16 Will Vale

Will Vale

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

This was in the launch sequence - the tracks on the side which presumably drag the Mole into the 'ole looked like they were going backwards. The crawler tracks always go the right way in the episodes I've seen.

It could be the wagon wheel effect, I'm not sure. I *think* the drill was going the wrong way too though, so it might just have been a case of plus-to-minus, minus-to-plus?

Will

#17 Will Vale

Will Vale

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I forgot to add earlier, but the 1/72 Mole is really good. I'm just about done with mine and it compares well with what I see on screen.

Admittedly, it does have large wheels and motors to propel it across the carpet, but there's a decent scale model wrapped around them so it's hard to hold that against it :D

@Andy Mullen: your TB2 and hangar look brilliant - accurate and impressively big-looking. Did the decals (?) and glazing for the windowed control room come with it?

Will

#18 avro683

avro683

Heracleum Mantegazziani!

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Trick photography, as stated in Derek Meddings' excellent book, 21st Century Visions, published shortly before he died. I must rescue my copy and have another read.

Tony :clif:

#19 Andy Mullen

Andy Mullen

Tomcat Fan

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

@Andy Mullen: your TB2 and hangar look brilliant - accurate and impressively big-looking. Did the decals (?) and glazing for the windowed control room come with it?

Will

Will, yes, the tranparencies for the control room were supplied. The control room backgrounds are actually stickers not decals.

Posted Image

Heres a link to the instructions in PDF >> Aoshima #33135 << [1.3Mb]

and Photobucket links

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Andy Mullen, 01 May 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#20 avro683

avro683

Heracleum Mantegazziani!

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Does any one else find it ironic that kit manufacturers find difficulties in producing accurate models of, er, models? And I llove the TB2 hangar, Must get one.

Tony :clif:

Edited by avro683, 02 May 2012 - 01:39 PM.